• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Finding work through volunteering

malakaix

Bluelighter
Has anyone had any experience with finding work in a specific field through doing volunteer work to begin with?

I want to change into a completely different line of work; presently I've been working as a general hand/labor hire for the last couple of years.. i've been doing this because i was and still am unsure of what to pursue in life. Last year i traveled extensively and realized how much i enjoyed been around people especially in hospitality environments. It's not something i ever expected to be interested in, but im curious and want to explore this..

I plan to go back overseas to europe in July, when i was there last year i met dozens of people doing volunteer work in hostels for accommodation/food.. i have no experience in this field but i imagine volunteer work would help with finding paid work, and been used as a reliable reference? I have some friends in the industry which might be-able to help, but is volunteer work taken seriously by employers? Or are most looking for professional experience?

I would say mostly yes, volunteers are taken seriously. If you are seeking jobs in a certain field, volunteering in the same field or something related can provide much-needed references. Depending on the field and the place you are volunteering, if you bust your ass and show up on time every time, they might hire you directly. HR departments will often rather hire a reliable volunteer than someone off the streets. YMMV.

I have been hired twice as a former volunteer. Once in the hospitality industry and once at a non-profit charitable organization.