• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Finding beauty in life after dope

twang

Bluelighter
So when you're on heroin, that's all you really live for. I pretty much devoted my entire life to it, my world revolved around it. After quitting you come out of this bubble and enter a new life, a sober life, but an addicts biggest foe is boredom, and failure to see what there is to live for besides getting high. Real life can seem so dreadful when you've been getting high every day for years on end. Using your brain is critical, imo, to sobriety. Sitting down and watching tv all day is not the answer.

Since I quit heroin at the end of March/beginning of April this year (I don't keep clean dates, too much pressure and just sets you up for failure in my opinion.) I've had to get my kicks elsewhere and do things I wasn't used to doing in order to feel like a productive human again, mainly being active. I think it's pretty much common knowledge when you quit an opiate habit one of the keys to being successful is to work out as much as you can. It not only makes you feel better but keeps your mind occupied and gives you new, realistic goals to reach.

Healthy living doesn't just come from eating right and working out though. Personally I've been trying to forge new relationships with cool people. I've always been on a friendly basis with a couple of my coworkers, but they were never really friends I hung out with. Getting a significant other is also a big one, and very necessary with that new sex drive you hadn't felt since the early years of puberty.

Beyond those typical things though I've also been waking up every morning to watch the sunrise. That doesn't mean you have to fully wake up at 6am every morning. I get up, go out on the patio, spark a cigarette and watch the sunrise and then go back to bed. Sometimes though if I feel fully rested when I wake up at 6am I'll go make a cup of coffee to have with my cigarette sunrise. Seeing the natural beauty life has to offer is a good way to start the day and, I feel, sets me up for success that day because of what the rising sun represents. A new day, a new beginning, a fresh start. I
've also always been a HUGE fan of music, but For the most part, I've been listening to the same shit since high school because I couldnt be bothered to sit down at the computer to find new music when my day revolved around dope. I've since been looking for music I find beauty in. I'll usually sit down for hours and gather a couple, sometimes 5, sometimes 10 albums in one day and listen to a new album or two everyday. The best one I've discovered this past week is
Mounika - How Are You
Mounika is a French producer that does instrumental hip hop beats with stuff I can only define as "beautiful" on top of the underlying hip hop beat. Check it out, it's been my go to for watching the sunrise this past week.
Taking up new hobbies or continuing old hobbies you once had before addiction is also awesome. For me it was art. Painting, drawing, and graphic design. I've been doing a lot of that. This summer I took a course in graphic design and we had to design a poetry book. We didn't have to write any poetry for the project, but it inspired me to do so anyways so I could put a few of my own poems in the book I designed. I've continued to do a little of that even after I finished the project. Struggles with addiction is great poetry subject matter.

So, what did you guys do when you conquered your addiction and the fog cleared from your brain?
Even with these new things in life I still find myself bored much more than I would care to. your idea of good sober activities could help me or someone else

You are either growing or stagnating... To grow is Beauty... Expand what you are inside. I'm going to suggest some reading. Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and the peaceful warrior series .

If you need a rougher approach... Say more of a shock treatment... Go make a skydive. You will be higher than you have ever been... You will wake up!!!

R13

I have always wanted to skydive. But because of financial restrictions I've never been able to. Even now that I'm off dope I'm still barely making ends meet living in my parents basement because I'm paying for school, and school means I can only work 3 days a week. Plus all the other stuff like cell phone, car insurance, and storage unit bills, then there's food, gas, new girlfriend, etc. I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and by Tuesday there's nothing left in my wallet. I thought I'd be able to start saving money again once I got off heroin but that hasn't been the case at all since I stopped dealing drugs too.

I am however finding options that don't require money, or if it does, not too much. For instance I'm taking the new girl on a picnic next week at a high point in the city so she can watch the sunset with me. I'm also going to take her to a free flower garden sometime soon that's supposed to be spectacular. Part of the reason I've been opting for poetry over painting is because I can't even afford new canvas.
I have a list of Terence McKenna books I've been meaning to read. I'll get to them at some point. Thanks for the skydiving input though, because that's something I've dreamt of doing ever since my dad did it years ago. I love going fast and I've always said if I were to commit suicide, my first choice would be jumping off the absolute biggest drop I could find so I could experience the thrill of free falling before I die

Last edited:
I have always been a time over money kind of guy. You can always get more money but time is something you can never get back. That said... It takes no money to enjoy life. Reading, poetry, girls, the outdoors, gaming, etc.

Try rock/mountain climbing for a skydiving alternative. If you find yourself with $120 to burn go do a static line jump ( Not tandem!!! Its a ride ) course.

When I was your age (1970's ) I was climbing the alps, hitch hiking all over europe, white water rafting, Picking up girls at discos, Having a blast.

Your young... Grow and LIVE life. Don't let stagnation get you again ( Dope ).

R13

I think it is so great that you are aware enough to invite these powerful and simple pleasures into your life. Watching the world light up every morning is an amazing ritual, really.

Another thing you may want to do is to subscribe to Public Radio's Writer's Almanac. It brings you a free poem every day. I have discovered tons of poets I would have never heard of from this free service.:)

I for one could never imagine going back to shooting dope and smoking crack. I'm going to make all this brief; for a long time i went through a series of depression involving alcoholism at first then opiates and crack. I spent so long in the dark repeating the same day.

My life has always revolved around science, specifically chemistry and psychology. Before all the issues i went to Uconn to double major in both. Issues made it so i didnt graduate (not my own really, though im not pushing blame on others) then i met a girl and we discovered heroin together... that lead to 5 years of that.

Getting clean was like running through an open field and sharing a long desired embrace with my old self as a more hardened and grown up individual. Having lost a lot of my innocents with a new notion on how the world treats you i incorporated that into my previous over concerned with others ideas or not realizing that i should question my intent for interaction as well as others to ensure im not getting used. I have since started running and working out, i collect and study gemstones, i make fireworks when the season permits, i am trying to get back to college to finish my degrees so i try to study when i can. But cooking, cleaning, planning my future, and decorating my apartment are things i do a lot of the time.

But from all this became an explosion of hobbies and new interests all circulating around my desire to learn chemistry and psychology. Also got into a new band that I got to see and thats cool because so much of my old music has "bad" memories associated with it in someway, discovering a new band in a new genre is great because it defines this part of my life.

--contrast

I took in a roommate a friend from florida with a bad heroin problem. Moved 1500 miles got an apartment with me and has been clean for 10 months. The issue is he simply in a lot of ways refuses to change. Recently hes expressing a desire to better himself but for a while i was questioning if i could live with him. He dresses like when he started doing dope (17yo now hes 29yo). He never learned how to cook or even foods he likes so hes constantly malnourished and fails to plan a single thing so always forgets everything. I hope his desire to try to put on weight, he must be like 100lb, becomes a desire to be healthy. Right now all he does is drugs, not dope or coke but literally anything else to excess. Our experiences are so different i mean i like to think he doesnt exaggerate but he claims he gets harassed, offered drugs, and encounters more street issues then myself. And i want to tell him "yeah because you dress like a drug user (baggy old ripped pants, faded shirt, unkempt hair, old shoes) not ragging on style but if you walk through the hood looking like a drug user or a punk you probably get treated like one. I walk the same street and i get is nods and "good morning" and its literally the same block an hour later.

I get we are all not the same but he represents someone who just takes methadone and hasnt even tried to fix themselves, 7 months on methadone and i was trying to make gun powder rockets and distill homemade alcohol. I am not saying he needs my hobbies but getting fucked up and watching tv until you pass out on the couch is not life.

Like i said he desires to change i just dont know if he has any discipline or self control really.

Last edited:
It is important to really look at the positive things everyday and make a gratitude list every single day. This will get you thinking positively. Addiction is very tough. You do everything based on that one behavior, so it will take just as long to train yourself to replace those behaviors, but it will overtime save your life. The important thing is to find something you love and have passion for, and pursue it. Once you do this, that will begin to fade away slowly. Also, be very careful about who you surround yourself with. A lot of times, family can make things even worse or friends. It is often advised that you go to groups etc, but I found that having a larger purpose stomped the need for any of that.

I never thought that Id be that guy going in jails and prisons sharing my story and carrying the message, the joys I find in doing service work makes me really reevaluate my life.

Another thing that demonstrates how beautiful life can be: smoking a bowl and turning on a Pink Floyd album, either with a top notch stereo system or some good headphones. Even more beautiful, doing the same thing with psychedelics. Psychedelics have always been my favorite drug but after I got addicted to opiates they kind of last that magical learning experience that was life changing with the right setting and dose. After getting addicted to opiates the psychedelics were constantly telling me "twang, you have to get off that poison! Why are you doing this to yourself when you know how bad it is?" And I knew it was right, so I opted to stop taking psychedelics like I used to so I could continue my progression into opiate addiction. LSD was always more manageable and didn't fuck with my psyche as much, so I still did that occasionally, but a high dose of mushrooms (my favorite) would always fuck with my head after I was fully addicted to opiates.

Once I complete the second to last step of getting off opiates which is stopping the needle use (the last step being getting off bupe completely) and lower my suboxone intake to 2mg/day I think I'll be ready to take a dive off the deep end into some mushrooms. I can't fucking wait until I'm ready for that again. Nothing in my life has ever been as beautiful as the pre-addiction mushrooms trips.