• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Filtering methadone?

13_forkliftgod_13

Greenlighter
Hi y'all. So I've heard there's not much use to this but I've also heard it's ok. If I was wanting to IV the red liquid methadone would I need to filter it somehow? Or just draw it up and have a go?

Hey y'all, still pretty new here. I'm wanting to know if I decide to IV the red liquid methadone do I need to filter somehow? Or just draw it back and have a go?

This is extremely dangerous and could easily cause an abscess. The oral BA is already high so not much point when it comes to IV liquid flavored methadone.

Thank you for the concern, i am aware of the risks associated with this. I have searched through everything pertaining to this I could find but haven't found an asnwer to actually either micron filtering or even just through a cotton

I think you've had an answer. Methadone is designed for oral consumption. Why would you want to risk your health for an inferior ROA?

All I've seen so far is just people trying to reiterate the fact that it's a dangerous venture. And I fully understand that and I honestly do appreciate the concern and trying to help edge me away from it, but....the question was do I need to filter the liquid? And really I'm not 100% sure why I would would risk it, I'm sure is has alot to do with the urge to a) use a syringe or b) insnuffulate my drugs. Wether or not the "rush"/"euphoria" come it 100% it's still just the process of going that route.

Also if there was a way to turn it into a powder form or such I would more inclined to do it that way.

Its not so much people trying to turn you away from it due to the dangers but merely saying that you wouldn't gain anything. It's oral BA is extremely high and given the unavoidable losses when filtering and whatnot, you would actually get less from it by injecting the oral syrup. Why waste your drugs to satisfy a needle fetish?

You'd actually be better off (and miles safer) drinking your methadone and injecting sterile water if you just wanted to satisfy a needle fetish.

on the subject of safety though, there's a high chance the syrup will contain bacteria which I doubt would be filtered even by a micron. It's dangerous AND pointless bro.

Yea I see what you're saying there. Why would the syrup possibly have bacteria in it? I would think it'd be relatively clean

Yea I see what you're saying there. Why would the syrup possibly have bacteria in it? I would think it'd be relatively clean

Well if it has sugar in it then it will definitely breed bacteria. But even if it doesn't, it's non sterile and there are bacteria everywhere. When you drink it, no problem but when injecting it, big problems.

Just want you to be safe AND not waste your drugs bro. If there was a even 25% increase in BA then I could understand the risk.. but there's literally no benefit at all.

You know what man, you're totally right. I've been using any form of opiate/opioid I could get my hands on for the past 13yrs, I just recently hit 1yr clean besides the methadone from the clinic and I've been relatively stable so far but just recently I've been having extremely vivid dreams of using and haven't been able to stop thinking of it for days and days now. I've just been feeling the extreme urge to use in my old method ya know

You know what man, you're totally right. I've been using any form of opiate/opioid I could get my hands on for the past 13yrs, I just recently hit 1yr clean besides the methadone from the clinic and I've been relatively stable so far but just recently I've been having extremely vivid dreams of using and haven't been able to stop thinking of it for days and days now. I've just been feeling the extreme urge to use in my old method ya know

I totally understand mate. I've been clean from prescription opioids for many years until recently I had a very bad accident this summer that fucked my leg that I hurt the first time during airborne training and then again in Afghanistan. Anyway, third injury on the same leg and it's really bad and very painful for which I've been prescribed painkillers and it's bringing back memories of how I used to abuse them as a way of blocking out things in my mind that I brought back from overseas that I should have left there.

I fully understand where you're coming from, once opioids have had their grip on you, it's hard to let go.. But seriously you're better off not bothering injecting the methadone. It will destroy your veins also.

I totally understand mate. I've been clean from prescription opioids for many years until recently I had a very bad accident this summer that fucked my leg that I hurt the first time during airborne training and then again in Afghanistan. Anyway, third injury on the same leg and it's really bad and very painful for which I've been prescribed painkillers and it's bringing back memories of how I used to abuse them as a way of blocking out things in my mind that I brought back from overseas that I should have left there.

I fully understand where you're coming from, once opioids have had their grip on you, it's hard to let go.. But seriously you're better off not bothering injecting the methadone. It will destroy your veins also.

Thank you for your service.

ot: when I was in NA there were junkies who'd do this - they told me it stung like a motherfucker and didn't do anything (shooting methadone syrup).

It's not just a concern about bacteria. The main concern for me would be the inactives. The red syrup contains citric acid, D&C Red #33, FD&C Red #40, flavor, glycerin, propylene glycol, sodium benzoate, sodium saccharin, sorbitol, and sucrose. Injecting those could cause an abscess.

A study done by NDARC found Sydney drug addicts were more likely to develop infections related to IV methadone use as well as venous thrombosis.

Last edited:
New England Journal Of Medicine:

Aluminum Toxicity Due to Intravenous Injection of Boiled Methadone [Methadone syrup / oral concentrate / take home doses-T]

A 42-year-old man who was in rehabilitation for intravenous substance abuse presented with a three-month history of seizures and incoordination. Other symptoms included dysarthria, a hesitant pattern of speech, myoclonic jerks, postural tremor, emotional lability, and fluctuating short-term memory. On questioning he admitted that for four years he had been concentrating his methadone preparation, which was diluted with a grape-flavored drink, by heating it in an uncoated aluminum pot. He would then reconstitute the residue for intravenous injection. His serum aluminum level was 6650 nmol per liter (reference interval, <400).

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/354/11/1210

Ingredients of the cherry liquid methadone:​

Methadone hydrochloride, artificial cherry flavor, citric acid anhydrous USP, FD&C Red No 40, D&C Red No 33, methylparaben NF, polaxamer 407 NF, propylene glycol USP, propylparaben NF, purified water USP, sodium citrate dihydrate USP, sucrose NF.

"Poloxamer 407 is a ubiquitous synthetic surfactant that causes massive hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis in the rodent liver" ~https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16458315

You should absolutely not ever inject any Methadone preparation into your body that was not manufactured and intended to be administered parenterally. You will easily destroy your veins in a fortnight. Methadone is so very caustic that the effect is readily apparent upon injecting. Please do not attempt. Injecting Methadone is one of those things that you just need to not do.

Methadone is such a long-acting drug that injection is useless. You will be literally sacrificing your body for a rush that probably will not even occur. Please don't. Learn from out mistakes. My main vein on my right arm is a casualty of injecting Methadone solution from a clinic. Just because it is sterile doesn't mean it can be injected.