Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: The Matrix: Reloaded living up to original?

I liked it a lot. Can't wait for Revolutions. In the review that Chrissie posted the reviewer says that you shouldn't have to wait until the third movie to decide whether the second one was good or not. I disagree. I mean, that's what the middle movie is made for, to set you up for the (hopefully) climactic finish that will blow you away.

The effects were good, I thoroughly enjoyed them particularly the ending of the car chase scene.

Ok, kind of some spoilers below.

The only thing that gave me pause was how they scaled his power down. The implication at the end of the first Matrix was that Neo could basically do anything he wanted. So naturally, you assume that he would've had no problem destroying all the Agent Smiths with some sort of crazy shit like making the ground eat them or something like that. But all he could do was use kung fu and a pole (which was still tight).

So I think it would have been an interesting idea if they had given Neo some really kick ass powers, but I'm sure they spent a lot of time thinking it over and decided that the movie would play out better if he was humanized a little bit more. Adds more conflict and all that shit. Either way though, it was still an awesome movie and I can't wait for it to come out in IMAX.

Oh and btw, whoever went to this movie expecting to be blown away by the storyline went in with unrealistic expectations. The first one wasn't all that groundbreaking, you know, as far as the ideas it presented. It's all eye candy. If you want something intellectually stimulating, go see an indepedent film or something.

When is Matrix: Reloaded coming out on IMAX (exact date)?

And on that line of story wise, if you thought Reloaded's story was crap then you are a plain NUT, not only is it purposely meant to confuse the mind but also if you think hard enough not DUMB enough then there are a millions hints and lines that can help you see what Revolutions hold, this is going to be a finish that will never be forgotten, the matrix trilogy is by far the best thing in cinema history via my end :)

Thanks Benefit :)

That will be the third time that I will be watching the film and can almost guarantee I will have everything cleared up by then.

Seeyaz.

i may have misinterpreted this, but...

in the architect conversation, he mentions something about the "mother of the matrix." neo suggests the oracle, but, to me, it seemed as if the architect shrugged this off, as if he were dumb. so, does that mean there is another mother? who else could it possibly be? trinity?

also, what are peoples thoughts on the preview for the third film? personally, im glad i stayed through THE LONGEST CREDITS SEQUENCE EVER, just to get a glimpse at it.

Benefit said:

The only thing that gave me pause was how they scaled his power down. The implication at the end of the first Matrix was that Neo could basically do anything he wanted. So naturally, you assume that he would've had no problem destroying all the Agent Smiths with some sort of crazy shit like making the ground eat them or something like that. But all he could do was use kung fu and a pole (which was still tight).

So I think it would have been an interesting idea if they had given Neo some really kick ass powers, but I'm sure they spent a lot of time thinking it over and decided that the movie would play out better if he was humanized a little bit more. Adds more conflict and all that shit. Either way though, it was still an awesome movie and I can't wait for it to come out in IMAX.

Oh and btw, whoever went to this movie expecting to be blown away by the storyline went in with unrealistic expectations. The first one wasn't all that groundbreaking, you know, as far as the ideas it presented. It's all eye candy. If you want something intellectually stimulating, go see an indepedent film or something.

neo' powers werent scaled down.. he could fly, sense trouble, stop bullets and machine bombs... Remember the agents were upgrades and could clone themselves... and kung fu and blunt weapons are the only way to fight agents.. they dodge bullets remember...

^^ What I was talking about was summed up pretty well in this portion of the article chrissie posted:

At the end of the first movie, Neo had transcended beyond simple bending of the Matrix. He was aware, he was a part of it. He could manipulate the world around him. He was so enlightened that the ultra fast blur attacks of the agents were nothing but slow motion to him. He could stop them, literally, with one arm behind his back. Now all he seems capable of doing is punch, block, kick, block, jump, block, run away. Or, actually, fly away. He can fly now. At the end of the first movie, his flight was an indication that Neo had stopped thinking in terms of the physical and was now free of all bonds of reality. In RELOADED, flight is just a cool means of transportation.

Of course, turning Neo into some sort of totally omnipotent being would've taken a lot of drama out of the movie; I was merely saying it would have been intersting.

I'm not going to add my opinions as of yet. But I'd like to know what the signifcance of the Winslow Overpass was. Remember Trinity asking Morpheus about the overpass being suicide?

there's no hardlines for them to be pulled out of the matrix there... traffic flowing at high speeds.. all hell breaking loose as it did in the movie...

Originally posted by Blue Lava
I'm sure their are many layers of meaning in the movie the Matrix.

What I see the Matrix being based on is the post-modern philosophy book called Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Boudrillard.

thanks for the book recommendation :) i'm gonna go track that down...

"That guy" is Agent Smith, now in the real world as well. It's a major twist, what the hell else are they gonna do? Play some happy hardcore and completely ignore the whole change of events?

Zion... it's what the whole second and third movie are about. They had to show it... if they didn't, the movies wouldn't make any sense at all. 1/2 an hour to show the place that all the humans reside, Neo has to save, and the machines are trying to kill, isn't that bad. And come on, don't be so bloody dramatic, it wasn't anything like SW.

Reloaded doesn't strive to be the most realistic movie ever. It's not even set in our universe. Winging about the truck explosion is just silly... if nothing had happened you'd probably cry that it was such the anticlimax.

Sorry, but your post reads like someone who went into the movie hating it, sat there and watched it while hating it, then hated it some more when it had finished, then went on the net to show the world how much you hate it. And that, my friend, has been done many, many, many times before...

I can't understand why everyone hates this movie... what movies came out this year that were better? Not that many. Reloaded was clever... no one guessed where it was going, it's INCREDIBLY well thought out, the action scenes, characters, plot were all believable and fun. It seems like most of the flaws that people have found in it are a direct result of them not paying enough attention to the movie, or expecting some form of resolution 1/2 way through a two part movie.

On a side note, the DVD is a bit of a waste of time... wait for the special edition. The only good part is a behind the scenes of the freeway chase, which doesn't go into the sort of detail you want. No commentary, no deleted scenes, just a couple of trailers and some making of's.

Revolutions looks fantastic, although I'm kinda worried about this silly "sub-matrix" thing. I'm sure it'll work out fine though.

---

the whole thing was just so cheesy

neo as the machines approach him in the real world

"wait. somethings different. i can feel them"

as he stands there and holds his hand out, electrocuting them

and then lamely falls to the ground.

morpheus comes back.

"what happened"

"i don't know" trinity says cradling neo's unconcious head.

give me a fucking break

---

Yeah and like the original Matrix made sense with Neo coming back to life after Trinity kissed him.

The ending to MR2 re-asks the initial question, what is the matrix? Which I think is cool.

There are shite moments in the movie, but it's far, far better than what the knockers say about it.

I went in hoping for an Empire Strikes Back, but all I got was a Return of the Jedi. Yeah so was I impressed, yet disappointed with MR2 when I first watched it first. But after watching it again since it was released on DVD I've appreciated every part of the movie except the boring political stuff. Which as you have correctly pointed out is like they have ripped pages directly out of those regrettable Star Wars prequels.

hmmm since I just got this on dvd and had a chance for a second viewing i though i post my thoughts/ ideas.

********SPOILERS BELOW********************************

1. I saw alot above about why didn't they make NEO more powerful, has anybody thought about the fact that The Matrix has been through this 5 times now and working through the sixth. anything he can do has probably been seen and acounnted for, the arcitect even iIlluded to that when he said it was a controlled anomoly. As for the agent's being harder, in the first fight he did mention upgrades and was mildly surprised. This is a thinking self programing machine maybe it becomes aware of what can be done trough the one as well and changes itself to counter act.

2. I think the Oracle herself is a rouge prgram. she was made to figure out a way to make humans accpect thr matrix but in doing so, I think she came to like them. Just my opion

3. I don't think the counil member is the 5th "one" Morphues said the'd been fighting for 100 years that would mean the council guy would have to been at least 111 years old (he said he spent 11 years of his life asleep i'm asumming he ment in the matrix), I think is role was just a well planed plot device. A person who's had time to think through the years, and yet chooses to belive in the impossibe. I also think his whole speach about being dependent on the machines,was a way of introducing the idea that in order for both races to survive they would need to work together, otherwise the would ultimtly destroy one another.

4. I think Agent Smith is a virus, and a symobl that things are breaking down, and not everything can be planned for. When u first see him he says it's happening again just like last time exepct now there's me. maybe he's even the step the machines are afraid to take. to be compltey independent of one another. The matrix hunts rouge programs down and deltes them, maybe the machines are afraid of truley becoming like there old masters.

Overall I liked this movie. I think there was more to think about then the first one, and it opened the story to a lot of diffrent avenues. I didn't relly like all the CGI (mainly the smith fight) becuase i thnk it too away from some of the "art" like there was in the first one. In the first movie the were some shots the were amazinly beatruiful, they brought to mind the words "poetry in motion" in this one, there were only a few shots like that, the one i like is in the mansion there like 2 seconds were all the motion in the room is going from right to left for some reason i really like all the elements in that shot. I also think the villians weren't really planned out all that well. Agent smiths Real return I think is going to be in Revoultions. the Twins were alright but more of a gimick. and that Marcvchous(really bad sp there sorry) i don't think was really explored enough.

anyways these are justmy thoughs