Votes: 7 5.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 72 56.3%

• Total voters
actually i think it does (from one viewing) but those other shit animated films do not. If we get more films like cars i'd be happy that i'm still enjoying animated films (not made in japan ;))

You do raise a good point about studio funding, but the market has been steadily eating itself since the late 70's, which simultaneously heralded both the start of the blockbuster and the first death throws of film.

video games is where it's at, but this entire conversation belongs to another thread.

As a definitive film, Borat is the tune of the week, soon to be replaced with something else. But as a piece of easy and quick entertainment that forces the audience to stretch it's comfort zones in fine jest, Borat shines along with South Park BL&U, Team America, Kentucky Fried Movie, and so on.

right.

regardless of how much one hates studio films they'll continue to be made because people continue to pay to see them.

further, smaller boutique movies will also continue to be made.

movie snobs will continue to get mad at 'bad' movies too :)

alasdair

rofl that Glob is still vehemently defending this piece of shit film! I'm beginning to think she has some sort of financial stake in it ;)

His comedy is cheap and exploitative and although it may make people laugh due to the masses being conditioned to accept this sort of morally devoid shit on a day to day basis, that doesn't mean that it actually contains any real comedic merit.

Nail, hammer, head.

Last edited:
sounygordna said:
His comedy is cheap and exploitative and although it may make people laugh due to the masses being conditioned to accept this sort of morally devoid shit on a day to day basis, that doesn't mean that it actually contains any real comedic merit.

On the contrary, I am not conditioned to "accept this morally devoid shit." Rather, I choose to "accept this morally devoid shit" because I find it so funny. Don't presume to know what contains or does not contain morally acceptable content, unless you have a damn good argument for moral absolutism. I for one don't subscribe to that notion of morals, simply because I don't find the arguments or evidence for it convincing. Furthermore, I take exception to the implication that my ability to reason and make decisions for myself is lacking merely because I was not morally outraged by this film.

what is real comedic merit?

L2R said:
As a definitive film, Borat is the tune of the week, soon to be replaced with something else. But as a piece of easy and quick entertainment that forces the audience to stretch it's comfort zones in fine jest, Borat shines along with South Park BL&U, Team America, Kentucky Fried Movie, and so on.
word. :D

i can't understand people getting so bent out of shape about things. it's just a funny film.

in other news, if anyone cares:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6161161.stm

this guy is being referred to as 'McBorat' on TV now. :D

i have to say though... the kazakhs are (eventually) handling all this attention the right way. with a sense of good humour.

which is more than can be said of some of the americans in this thread. ;)

The only difference is that Americans actually embraced the movie, and he became an overnight success, even appearing on Dave Letterman. Don't accuse the rest of the world as being as constipated as you are.

audiences (myself included) no longer have a basis for differentiation between what should or should not be considered acceptable - due to overexposure to the shock-jock style humour that is common these days.

Do you really rely on film content standards as your moral barometer?

[edited, alasdair]

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I decide what I allow myself to laugh at. I don't need movies to define for me my own sense of humor, or of right and wrong for that matter.

Also, the Borat character uses the absurdity of his behavior to poke fun at bigotry and ignorance. People laugh at the racism in this movie precisely because it is so absurd. The movie doesn't promote racism, it lampoons it. If you don't understand this point, then it's no wonder that you didn't like the movie, because you missed the whole point. You didn't get the joke.

there definitely was a lot of childish humour in this movie. i don't think sbc has made any attempt to suggest otherwise.

it's raked in $118M. i would say that he's achieved his objective and probably couldn't care less is some people view the gags as lacking wit or edge...

alasdair

I don't think a single person who viewed this film actually believed that either Borat or his home town were accurate representations of Kazakhstan and Kazakhstanis.

This is not only crystal clear in the absurd comedy but if there are any lingering doubters, a quick investigation would herald that the supposed Kazakhstani language used in the film is predominantly Armenian.

thus not to be taken seriously.

sounygordna said:
eventually we get to a point where people are crossing lines purely for the sake of it without actually making any point by doing so

This is already the case. See Wayans brothers, or Jackass for example.

... and audiences (myself included) no longer have a basis for differentiation between what should or should not be considered acceptable - due to overexposure to the shock-jock style humour that is common these days.

This is where i disagree. Audiences DO know the difference between exploitative creativity and exploitative cliche. And while a majority of the film going audience get suckered into throwing money at the films showing at the most cinemas with the most commercials, many of these pointless ammoral films inevitably get the higher immediate box office, but even this trend is declining.

Relax man. You know, i'd get just as pissed off if Jackass garnered as much critical praise and attention as you are with Borat. Of course, that is not the case.
Okay, you don't like the film. So what? I hate many films others love. "Saw" for instance is the biggest pile of steaming shit in a long time. But just because i feel this way, it doesn't necessary mean that the film industry is doomed to be predominantly saturated in clone films. And even if it is. Fuck em. I won't see them. Plenty of other stuff will still be made. And i KNOW, that trends like these will either fade to obsurity or become something else.

[edited, alasdair]

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, i've finally bumped into another Rampa reader! Here of all places. Nice one souny!
14.gif

sounygordna said:
Is it? How do you come to that conclusion?

Well, it's a logical conclusion. The general film going audience are people too and as such deserve some credit. It doesn't take long to realise that if one complains about all the films one sees then one should be a little more selective in future.

Also, check out the target audience to most modern comedies. Many are rated PG, in order to make most of their money from kids who don't know any better.
Excellent comedies of the past and present have all been directed at adults, albeit sometimes (often) very immaturely.

Checking IMDB i've found the following:
Keenan Ivory Wayans has been sinking since his rise to fame in the excellent "in living color" skit tv show.

Box office gross to KIW films:
Scary Movie (2000) -$156M
Scary Movie 2 (2001) -$71M
White Chicks (2004) -$69M
Little Man (2006) - $58M

The audience does catch on to shit when they see it.

Harry Potter films appeal most to the highest majority of film goers: teenagers, as well as an already loyal fan base from the hugely selling books. Teens haven't been around long enough to know any better.

Your argument that Borat relies exclusively on mocking and taking advantage of Kazakhistan unfairly and ammoraly does not hold water when it's so obviously absurd and not accurate in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
i thought the Borat movie was forced and quite unfunny.

what was a wonderfully biting social commentary in skit-form (i'm sure few non-british-tv-watching people are aware of the classic borat episode where he confronts hunters in England, forcing them to admit that killing a fox makes them feel like they have big balls) failed, imho, to translate to a longer format. i feel that anyone who was privy to the Borat sketches would doubtless be expecting a lot more than this movie was able to offer.

however,

He didn't make clever observations about Kazakhstan, because it is impossible to satirize something if you don't do your research and have absolutely no basis for you commentary other than random, insulting, low-brow attacks at a country that doesn't have the ability to defend itself.

is somewhat wide of the mark, imho. iirc Cohen has travelled extensively throughout central asia and bases some of his characterisation on his experiences there. who is the joke really on - the people of this mystical kazakh nation, or the imbeciles who would actually believe that the age of consent has been raised to nine?

furthermore, kazakhstan itself is apparently already benefiting from something of a tourism boom :D

if i was running for parliament and said that african descendants have walnut-brains, then yes, it would be both racist and offensive.

if i was making a comedy film, and my protagonist was a redneck dipshit queensland pig farmer, then imho it's a different story.

that may be the case - but we don't really know, do we?

there have been countless movies across the years which have portrayed societies differently from reality.

Very funny movie, liked a lot. Highly disturbing fight between Borat and his producer....