• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: beyond the valley of the dolls

axl blaze

Bluelighter
I rented this movie yesterday, and during it I thought that it was one of the best movies to come out of the 70s. now that I had a day or two to think things over I think that it could very well be one of my favorite movies of all time.

has anybody else ever seen this? it was NC-17 when it came out - so there are many boobies which I think would attract BL's core audience. I liked it because it was about a band (all girl 60s rock n roll) who move to LA and they basically become superficially imposed, but quite entertainingly so.

"Z-Man" the queer entertainment manager, who speaks as elegantly as Shakespeare while throwing peyote parties is my favorite character. apparently, his character was written on a spoof of the strange rock music producer Phil Spector, and this film actually predicts Spector's future - if you know what I mean.

the writing and dialogue were superb, to where I suppose credit is due to Roger Ebert on the script. it is shot aesthetically well and it is one of the best parody and cult films you will ever see.

^ one of my top 10 movies of all time. the atmosphere is perfect, the performances are great (especially z-man as you note), the songs are wonderfully 60s and it gets odder and odder as it goes.

"this is my happening and it freaks me out"

:)

alasdair

the music was apt as well. during Z-Man's first party the band Strawberry Alarm Clock is an actual band, and they played a couple songs during that scene. I have been trying to find that tune where it's just instrumental and mostly from the Hammond B3 organ, but I can't seem to find it. I think it was called "Toy Boy." I also dug the songs played by the Carrie Nations, the main band of the main characters. might have to buy the soundtrack - although I despise paying for music these days.

has anybody else ever seen this? it was NC-17 when it came out - so there are many boobies which I think would attract BL's core audience.

It was actually rated X when it came out as NC-17 didn't come around until later.

My dad happens to be the squarest most straight-laced guy in the world. And yet for some reason, he went with some friends and saw this movie in the theater when it came out. He said it was "disgusting".
When I finally got around to seeing it, I thought it was fantastic. Leave it to my dad to have no appreciation of camp. No doubt, the irony flew waaaaaaaaay over his head.

If you like this, check out Myra Breckenridge.

''You're a groovy guy-I'd like to strap you on some time.''

yes great movie. one of my all time favourites - other russ meyer films don't hit the spot like this one, although faster pussycat kill kill has its moments too.