Votes: 1 14.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters
Thx 4 the insight and additional Movie suggestons . . . we've been wanting to see "Walkabout" & "Picnic".

My impression of Australia is kinda like my impression of Western America . . . settled by rough hard guys (or in the case of Aus, by convicts). It kinda scared me seeing those hard, rough guys in the film. Kinda like Alaska is. (I never saw "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.")

I don't see it as a documentary. I see it as an offensive, fictional misrepresentation of my country's history. If it presented itself clearly as something far detached from reality, then it wouldn't have bothered me. Unfortunately, (as I've already said) by including historical events in the plot and by prefacing the film with a series of titles explaining the historical context of the film> it heavily implies that the narrative is a (relatively) true story.

If the film was called 'Oz' rather than 'Australia' (this would've made sense given the constant Wizard of Oz references throughout) and it didn't include the bombing of Darwin I might have been able to accept it as a fairy tale... But it would still have been a terrible film.

If someone made a film called 'America' which portrayed the history of the United States to be full of racist sociopathic rapists, wouldn't that offend you (Goddess) as an American? I'm not suggesting that there weren't a lot of horrible, racist, slave-drivers in the South. But they -those people- don't define the US, do they? History was not black and white.

In 'Australia', there was a twelve year old boy standing near the docks in Darwin, carrying a Joey (a baby Kangaroo). Upon seeing Nullah, the half-cast aboriginal boy, he immediately starts mocking him, calling him 'Creamy'. I don't know if that scene was supposed to be a joke or just a homage to the episode of The Simpsons where they go to Australia. Either way it's pretty fucking ridiculous.

The film is like a bad caricature, crammed full of every cliche and Australian reference imaginable. But not only that, it is a childish and one-dimensional manifestation of a serious issue that deserves more exploration than that of an Adventure film full of one-liners. The subject matter should have been tackled with more respect. The film should've been made by someone who is capable of producing something that isn't comparable to a fairy tale.

The film was supposed to be 1939 or 1942. In U$A at that time, Blacks were treated with disrespect . . . we had "colored only" drinking fountains . . . they were suposed to ride in the back of the bus, segregated schools, lynchings.

I could imagine a white, southern boy saying something like that to a "pickaninny". Light-skinned Blacks in America are considered prettier than the darker ones and my Mexican TS friends talk to each other and me about their Mexican friends who have darker skin.

The Wizard of Oz flashbacks was another thing I liked about "Australia." (The movie got bad ratings in Tucson newspapers, all of the reviewers were guys.) We had just watched OZ on TV a coupla daze before. One of my fav songs is "Somewhere over the rainbow / bluebirds fly / birds fly over the rainbow / why O why can't I" . . . I wrote that on my 1970 VW bus.

I could really relate to Kidman's character with kids too . . . I'm the same way as she was in the movie . . . ackward/uneasy around children. (Can't even remember the last time I spoke to someone under 17-years old.)

In America, we also shipped Native Americans off to special live-in schools.

I was really shocked about the way that one drover treated the Aboriginies.

How was the film reviewed in Aus? Were most of the complaints about the tax $$$ "wasted" on it?

No most of the complaints weren't about financing. It received mixed reviews, but mostly bad.

What was absurd about the boy in Darwin was the fact that he was holding a Joey and the way he delivered the dialogue. I'm not trying to suggest that no-one was called Creamy and that there weren't any racist white people. Of course there were. The scene with the child and the kangaroo for me was the pinnacle of ridiculousness for the film.

'Australia' lacked subtlty. And sometimes that's fine... like with Luhrmann's other endeavours. But in this case it came across like some sort of deranged circus performance.

What I really hate about the Australian film industry is it's tendency to exagerrate what little cultural elements exist in order to say "Hey look at us, we're Australian!"

Crocodile Dundee is an example of this.

So is 'Australia'.

You see it as quaint. Maybe you want to think little boys really do walk around carrying kangaroos and delivering racial slurs on a regular basis. But for me, as an Australian, it's fucking annoying that my country is constantly dressed up like a clown.

The only thing the film convinces me is that Baz (wow he must be a real Aussie with a name like that) doesn't know the outback from his own asshole... which is probably due to there always being a cock shoved up there.

^your comments say more about you than they do of the film. just an fyi there, mate.
:\

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/01/gossips_as_birds_of_prey.html

^I thought this was an interesting article.

You might come to some conclusions about me given my opinion of this film or maybe the agressive manner in which I have stated my opinion... But my comments still say more about the film itself as far as I'm concerned.

If you'd like me to review myself, it wouldn't be a glowing review either. I tend to be extremely critical even of myself. Perhaps I take things a little too seriously sometimes but it is my intention to work in the Australian film industry. I am currently building up a list of investors for my first feature. Will probably begin production early 2010. So I guess I have reasons to take this particular film seriously because it could potentially directly affect me as an aspiring independant Australian film-maker.

Maybe instead of judging how seriously I take a film, you could discuss it. I haven't been ranting like a mad-man. I think I've made some vaild points. Maybe calling Luhrmann a homosexual was innapropriate but we aren't in church, you know?

So who gives a fuck?

yeah i hear ya mate. Have you made any shorts?

i just completed my first short actually. it's submitted to trop and my fingers are crossed. i've received good feedback so far. very good considering it's my first effort. anyway...

i don't deny that this is by far baz's weakest dramatic effort to date. i agree with your artistic criticisms. i just don't get upset by it.

i admit i don't know anything about the industry. i didn't go to film school. i just know what i like in end products, so perhaps my perspective may differ from someone schooled on the business of film.
thanks for the article. i'll read it when i sober up a bit.

Yeah but this was 1940 Australia . . . no one is saying or implying that this is the way it is in the outback now . . . just like 1940 America, in the South, was a different picture.

Wish U 2 well on ur productions!

I did a couple of shorts at University, but I haven't submitted anything to a festival yet.

Good luck with Tropfest. Did you have a decent budget?

thanks, both of you.

td, i sourced my actors online and shot them using my minidv, edited the video and sound on my mac, including composing the simple score on ableton, little bits of animation and "special" effects using other very basic software. my budget extended only to props and was less than AUD$100. =D

i was most afraid of the lighting and sound but i'm told that they're not bad and somewhat effective.

In all honesty, i'd be genuinely interested in seeing anything a Bluelighter put together. So if either of you ever upload any of your stuff to the net, feel free to drop a link around here. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't be looking to critique any work, partly because I know I don't have the heart to tell someone what I think's wrong with their work.

But just out of curiosity, who do you guys go to for critique? I know I could never trust my friends and family to give me brutally honest feedback.

Yeah, EJ, I was thinking the same thing . . . I have some videos on YouTube and would love some constructive criticism and see works by other BL'rs too. Maybe we could put a "sticky" at the head of this forum or another to showcase art, protographs and videos by Bl'rs?

Here's my YouTube Channel . . . plan to upload some more today or tomorrow but my best, unedited (50-minuites long) stuff is on Google. http://www.youtube.com/user/666isMONEY

I think you can give and receive criticism from friends/ family. You just have to take some time setting the score and making sure that neither party will get too offended. For example, I am brutally honest with my wife and father (both artists) about their work. Now they do the same in return. In fact, it really bothers me when people aren't brutally critical of my work. It offends me more than if they tell me that what I have produced is a peice of shit.

As for the BL film festival idea, I might anonymously make a film for Bluelight but I can't submit any work that has my name on it or is recognizable as something that I have produced.

I have had serious problems with people recognizing me on this website already so I've become a bit of paranoid.

Goddess, when I get some time I'll have a look at your vids if you like. Keep in mind though what I said about how critical I am. If that's what you want then I'm happy to help. PM me.

-TD

It was an ok movie, nothing to write home about. Kinda Crocodile dundee for women with a different twist.

U got it Arnold, Nicole Kidman was the star of the movie, like I said, it was more of a woman's movie.

seeing my posts here now, i agree with thedeceased. i was being very generous. my memories of this film is tainted with a bad taste in my mouth. the entire second half in my recollection was a mess.

i thought it was excellent, clearly baz luhrmann films are magical tales. its a love story but i concede that i did think only certain types of people will like this- if you dont have romanticised notions of love then you wont enjoy it.