Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: Alien vs. Predator

rate this movie

• [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
^^
I don't mind if people don't say fuck. Last film I saw was Napoleon Dynamite, and they didn't get closer to profanity that "gosh". Other than that, this movie has about as much gore as any other alien movie. I don't think we get to see any human blood spilled. Aparently if its acid blood, or glowing green guts, the MPAA is ok with it.

The trailers are making this one out to be a little lamer than it is. I'm also noticing a seriosu reluctance to push this movie from the theaters. It only showed in three in my area. Thats not much at all.

Considering this is from the guy who directed resident evil, one of the worst movies I've ever seen... and I'm counting amature films and the video of my old dealer shooting his gun into a tree and getting high, AVP is a pretty decent flick.

Continuity problem: when the predators set off their bombs in the flashback, the city remains intact, like its some kind of EMP that kills people. In the present day, the bomb seemed more conventional: it blew shit up.

They could have seriously done with a major rewrite, just for the sake of diolouge (and maybe that whole alien gestation period thing (like an hour, wtf)), but I would patiently await a sequel. Thats not something I could say after seeing alien resurection or predator 2.

If they were to do a sequel.... i wonder if it could be done .. without humans in the flick. That'd be pretty original i think..

resident evil was alright IMO, as I was a fan of the games so to see characters played by living actors was entertaining.

and yes this movie has a LIMITED release, as far as I can tell it wont be very long-lived in theatres,

Starring Lance Henriksen, Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova, Ewen Bremner, Colin Salmon, Tommy Flanagan

Director(s) Paul W.S. Anderson

Screenwriter(s) Paul W.S. Anderson, Shane Salemo

Studio 20th Century Fox

Production Company Davis Entertainment, Lonlink Productions, Impact Pictures, Stillking Films, Kut Films, Babelsberg Film

Release Date
August 13, 2004

MPAA Rating
PG-13 - for violence, language, horror images, slime and gore

Genre
Science Fiction, Action, Horror

Running Time
90 minutes

Country
U.S.

Media Type
Color

Filming Location(s)
Prague

[edit: off-topic stuff deleted again - 1234]

Last edited by a moderator:
Films shot in low light...

This has become a big pet peeve of mine.

There have been a number of films in recent years whos directors have opted to film in very low light. Of course, in some cases this can be a very effective device for conveying a convincing sense of misery/sadness/evil (think back to the original Crow movie) - but in more than a few films I have felt that this device has been employed simply to cover up for sub par special effects and costume design that would most certainly have been revealed if filmed in broad daylight. Daredevil and Catwoman are two other examples that come to mind.

One of the things that I felt made the first predator work so well was the fact that the majority of the battles were filmed in full light. When the cloaking device finally failed we got to see the creature in its full glory. I can still remember being a kid seeing it for the first time and thinking just how amazingly detailed the costume was - the skin, the face and that unforgetable set of teeth!

I did like AVP as a die hard fan of the Alien films but what I would have given to see a battle between these two monsters battle in broad daylight just as Arnold and the Predator did in the first film... minus the convieniently positioned shadows and dark hallways.

Anyway, just my .02

SG

Re: Films shot in low light...

Sebastians_ghost said:
This has become a big pet peeve of mine.

There have been a number of films in recent years whos directors have opted to film in very low light. Of course, in some cases this can be a very effective device for conveying a convincing sense of misery/sadness/evil (think back to the original Crow movie) - but in more than a few films I have felt that this device has been employed simply to cover up for sub par special effects and costume design that would most certainly have been revealed if filmed in broad daylight. Daredevil and Catwoman are two other examples that come to mind.

Fully agree and beautifully said :)

(and props on reference to the lighting to fit emotion in the Crow )

I saw this last night... I'd give it two stars. The acting was horrible, but I didn't go to this film with the anticipation of seeing Oscar winners.

The action sequences were above average.

I could deal with the plot. Actually, I sort of enjoyed seeing more than one side of the Predators. :eek:

The one reason I liked the low light filming was that it allowed the Aliens/Predators come out of the statues and such. The 'appearing out of the walls' tactic is overused, yes, but used well in this film. It was somewhat believable due to the presence of the other statues and maze-type building. However, this choice of lighting did let the director cut out on some of the special effects. The only time this low-lighting really bothered me was during fight scenes.. it wasn't until near death at times that the audience saw clearly what was happening.

Overall, the $6.50 was worth it.

I'm probably one of the biggest ALIEN fans ever...Predator I'm ok with but I'm obsessed with the Alien series (except for Resuirrection which we won't even get me started on...). That being said I did walk into this movie with a very very critical mindset. My expectations however were kept at a nuetral level.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

The actors were obviously not ment to be an important roll b/c they were just the sacrifices for the hunt...so I didn't expect the acting to be top notch, but it wasn't TERRIBLE (please refer for "House Of 1,000 Corpses"). It was B-Movie acting. Lex (the lead girl) was good, and she fit her roll well and Lance Henrickson, well he's always good.

Now onto the actual movie...

THE PLOT:
I can see why this plot was picked...it was DECENT at that, a little bit hokey with the whole Predators are gods theme, but the idea behind the temple and all that was pretty good. I liked how they kept the Queen captive, that was very nice. The whole temple set up and how the right of passage ceremony works was very good, I liked that whole idea. Overall the basic plot was good. The only think (and pretty much my main critique) that it was not realistic to have the Predator and Lex team up. And the fact that he made armor for her with the alien's body...come on...that was Paul W. Andersons BIG mistake which ulitmately cheesed up this movie.

THE ACTION:
I liked how the action was shot...very minimal CG and more focus on actual body suits and animatronics...and when the CG was used it was good and tasteful. I liked the slow motion face huggers and I also liked the predator visions (the green mode to see the aliens & the mode to see the organs of the humans). The fights were definetly A quality and didn't disapoint me. However having only 3 predators and killing 2 off so quickly was kinda disapointing. There should have been 5 predators...then killing 2 off so quickly wouldn't have been so bad. Oh well.

MY PROBLEMS:

Ok here is my list of complaints...as many as there are they really didn't hurt the movie, they only hurt my fan based views...

1. Predator & Human teaming up!? The Predators have too much pride to team up with a lower life-form, and since it's a right of passage I would think that the predator would want to complete it on its own for its own pride and achievement. But I guess the redemption in this is that Lex DID kill an Alien with a Predator spear so I guess the predator respected her and saw her has a worthy warrior...eh...still kinda cheese-ball-ish tho.

2. When one of the humans was cacooned in the egg chamber he awoke to a Face Hugger about to latch onto his face...but he shot it...fine and dandy. However...THEN all of the eggs started to open...which to me isn't very realistic in the alien world. Think back to Aliens when Ripley was holding Newt and was leaving the Queens Lair. Only 1 egg hatched, not all of them...the idea behind the Alien egg was that they hatch was a living presence is near them...I dunno...all of them opening up was very cinematic and not very Alien Trilogy realistic.

3. So when could you take an Aliens head off and not have tons off acid blood spewing out? When the predator cut of the aliens head for lex there was very minimal acid that came out...um when somethings head is pulled off its body...there's lots of BLOOD.

4. The predator...AHHHH!!! Couldn't they have done a MUCH better job making the predators real face look better...it looked soooo fake to me in this one...very plastic...even the verticle cartalige between the teeth looks really fake. The predators from the real predator movies had MUCH MUCH better facial costumes...they just crapped out on that for this movie.

5. The Alien Queen was BAD ASS...HOWEVER!!! Since when can she move faster than a cheetah? That bitch moved fucking fast! In Aliens she moved fast but not with intense speed and that was because her legs and her body frame didn't support that kind of speed...instead she moved with grace and steadiness. She is NOT a hunter or a warrior, she is the egg layer and the commander in chief of the hive...she is designed for breeding not for hunting...her killing skills are very powerful but that's based off of her intelligence, size and other aspects...SPEED not being one of them.

6. Ok so Lex lives??? How does that make any sense? How does she go back to the world with a Predator staff and all of the knowledge of the Aliens, Predators and what happened to the team...I think the world would be a little bit curious how and why a Billionaire was killed in Antarctica...I thought that Ripley was only supposed to know of their existence, except for Weyland Industries which eventuall turns into "The Compay" in the Alien movies. Well I can see how this would work out...Lex would go and tell of her story and thats how Weyland Industries would have knowledge of the Alien species...but the only way they could shut her up and keep the secret only available to Weyland is if they killed her...I dunno. I read to deeply into things...

RATING:
B

Oh I forgot to add...

A sequel would be very welcomed IMO. There was a comic book in which the predators flew over a pretty isolated jungle planet which had a small sized colony of humans on it. As they flew over it they shot down some containers which contained Alien eggs...the humans saw the "comets" and went to investigate. The eggs hatched...and the whole Alien process took over from there. Then the Predators returned x amount of time later and hunted the Aliens...not to mention that they hunted them in the jungle and in the colony. I think this would make a good sequel.. Even though it doesn't have to do w/ the first one...

They of course would need humans to carry dialogue, so they could make it that 2 or 3 humans managed to survive and they are trying to escape the planet meanwhile the predators and aliens are battling.

atlas said:
^^
I want my all subtitle, no humans, alien v. predator movie!

That'd be cool. But a very difficult script to write. I bet you could do the movie cheap as well.

SPOILERS!

Well I watched it. I'm thinking that it seems like a decent rental? Its a quasi B flick movie really. I think its really overrated. One thing that surprised me in a good way is the totally unexpected heroine and the turn out at the end. Logically this movie is swiss cheese. But then again plausibility can go out the window when doing sci-fi/ sort of. I was right in assuming the script would blow. It did. I think for one maybe if they disobeyed the cliche of "everyone dies" then it would have been better. Possibly better actors?
Henriksen was a good pull but his character blew..."I need this..."
It was too fast as well. I felt that I needed a stimulant in order to keep
up. Oh yeah. Here's my play by play of the film history of these two bad boys:

Alien is a classic film. Great characters. Good script/storyline.
Aliens. Good characters. Yeah its an action film. But it has bits of comedy and drama and all the rest. Still a good script.
Alien 3. Not a bad flick either. Probably the darker of the lot. Bad special efx. Least favorite of the series. But still a good script. Good acting in some spots.
Alien: Resurrection. Again characters. Good acting. More in line with being a cool, cult film then anything. A great director makes a decent action film.

Predator: Kind of interesting. If you like Arnold. Not memorable. Its Ok.
Predator 2: Don't remember it. It had a good cast I guess?

I'm a fan of less cut movies...longer shots. That would work. Less of a script. Really get into where they were.
Antarctica was a bad choice. It felt like a Predator movie as well. Predator or whatever alien race they are, seemed more intelligent more techy in comparison....and the "Alien" was sort of this animal thing. Watch Aliens, and that didn't seem to be the case.

Yeah this a geek movie for a geek crowd. Made for the comic fanboy. Read the comic series instead (Dark Horse, 3 parts. I'm assuming the original).

Predator or whatever alien race they are, seemed more intelligent more techy in comparison....and the "Alien" was sort of this animal thing. Watch Aliens, and that didn't seem to be the case.

I 100% disagree about the alien comment...they have always been portrayed as monsters that kill, capture and breed...thats the whole essense of their being. They aren't intelligent, only in the way of hunting their prey.

Alien: Resurrection. Again characters. Good acting. More in line with being a cool, cult film then anything. A great director makes a decent action film.

WHAT!? This movie completely destroys EVERYTHING which the Alien franchise was based on!!! I could go into extreme detail almost scene by scene about how this specific movie completely deconstructed the Alien series.

Left to Right said:
I just hope the explosion on top of the pyramid in the trailers ISN'T the films climax, but I have a bad feeling it is.
It's supposed to be the opening so fear not.

I saw it last weekend, and the only real complaint I have is the length of the flick. It was really short,... it felt like most all of the scenes were rushed. I know, it's action... but even action movies have a certain timing and pace.

Effects were great. I liked the 3 Predz, and I liked that they each had characteristics that singled them out. I didn't like the fact that the "team" didn't last very long once the movie really gets going... but what are you gonna do?

I didn't think the acting in this was terrible at all. Maybe the dialog was a little unatural at times and it made the actors sound corny, but that's not their fault.

I liked this movie. It isn't totally terrific but I was entertained. I liked the back story of the predators and humans.

The things that could've been better were the dialogue, the story should've been more developed and the fighting between the aliens and predators should have been the main focus of the film (it *is* titled "Alien vs. Predator isn't it?).

And the very last scene of the movie was cool. I think given what they showed it could lead to some newer cooler updates to an old story for future sequels.

I can't wait to see it

and review person up there "SPOILER"
If you can't remeber the predator movies and think Alien 3 had shit special effects (fucking 1992 give them a break)
you ain't really into action movies are yee.

Last edited:
Okay, so who here has read the Alien vs Predator books?
I personally thought they were great.......The huge 'Alien VS Predator:War' comic book was also fucking impressive. Solid storylines.

...So, could you please tell me if the film is anything as near as good as the books??? Or if they've just completely ruined a brilliant idea and oppurtunity???

ive read the comics and a few of the books a while back. the movie has a different storyline but i would say that it is a cheesey introduction to what could develop into the great plot of the novels and comics. most likely it will just be one cheesey hollywood version though

there are loads of Alien versus predator books/comics, I found a rare one, it had aliens in it but it's based on Predator versus superman, that's fucking awsome...... predator kills the fuck.

do you think they'll make a robocop versus terminator??
that would just be great, the game totally ruled.