• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids fighting severe constipation

hansimglück

Bluelighter
Hi,

my girlfriend is taking about 1mg buprenorphine everyday. Constipation isn't always a problem. For weeks it's working normal, or she even gehts diarrhea for some reasons, but every few weeks it gets really, really terrible. From time to time it takes her bowels from 6 to 12 (^_O) days, to let her take a dump.

Usually she takes Macrogol (polyethylene glycol) to support bowel movement. Usually 2 bags at once, But it won't work always (besides, this shit is expensive here in Germany). Is there anything she could take to support the effects of Macrogol? She is really suffering from constipation. When it's been 4-5 days after the last dumps moving a lot becomes a pain in the ass (no pun intended) and she experiences a lot of pain in her stomach.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hansimglück

I'm so childish, but with the title of the thread, I picture literal fighting with constipation, like a guy punching his asshole in defense of opioid constipation...

Sorry, I can be of no help...

Lol, no problem dude. It's fine when you had a moment of joy, no matter how childish it was. :)

A solution to that is obviosuly more fiber intake and water.....peanuts dried prunes and water usually work and are realitivley cheap where I live. Just stick to fiber in your diet according to a 98 year old woman in my family.

Also laxatives can make the muscles neccesarry for going to the bathroom rather weak try a more natural approach IMO stay safe

I have the same problem. Morphine is worse than Oxycodone, and both are worse than Tapentadol - so I'm mindful of what I take.

If I can't rely on diet/exercise/hydration then I sometimes resort to glycerol suppositories. Can't hold them bad boys in for longer than 15 minutes before my entire bowels empty. No mucking about.

Bless her, surely that's painful.

Stool softners, mineral oil laxatives are the best, or a fleet enema.

Hope she feels better.

One thing that works amazingly well is liquid Magnesium Citrate. Laxatives never work for me, but that stuff does. I think it being liquid helps it work better as opposed to a solid that may not sink in.

Timing her doses differently may help. If she is getting really backed up, waiting until she is in slight withdrawal will solve that problem.

What is her diet like? I'd look at that first. Long term laxative use is no good because it flushes electrolytes out and also causes the tissue to get worn out like I think someone said. If nothing else maybe she could switch over to stool softener add some fiber to her diet and make sure she's staying hydrated. She also may be getting a rebound effect from when she uses laxatives.

A solution to that is obviosuly more fiber intake and water.....peanuts dried prunes and water usually work and are realitivley cheap where I live. Just stick to fiber in your diet according to a 98 year old woman in my family.

The fiber intake is terrible advice for opiate induced constipation. It will make her stools larger and possibly dryer. I swear buy docolax stool softener. I mix that with propelene glycol for maximum effectiveness. Staying hydrated is important as well. Also keep dairy products to. Minimum if possible.

Fiber works like a charm for alot of people it isnt terrible if it works.....her condition might be medical though if its really bad.......god forbid a impacted stool....

Try to rule out any medical issues before jumping the laxative train......stay safe

Fiber works like a charm for alot of people it isnt terrible if it works.....her condition might be medical though if its really bad.......god forbid a impacted stool....
But if it doesn't work and the larger fiber induced stool gets dry and hard the risk of impaction climbs. It's risky in my experience. Stool softners and miralax are what finally got my constipation under control. And I tried everything before hitting on that combo. Linzess, amitiza, cutting my dose you name it. I also keep enemas on hand now for if I go more than 3 days without movement and can feel a dry hard stool near my rectum.

I agree with you crimsonjunk but laxatives have always been a last resort for me......some people have medical comditions that play a large role in all this.....i hope you find a solution OP and always be safe

I had this same problem with methadone and I had been eating fibers and drinking water, fruits. Nothing really helped. Not even mineral oil.. I was lucky if I'd gone once every 2 weeks..

What was your solution? Everyone is different.....and this topic needs a nice amount of input for people who suffer from the unholy constipation

I have had constipation problems the last 2 1/2 to 3 years, ever since I started methadone. The best things to take while constipated are these-

#1 Magnesium Citrate

One time, I didn't shit for a WHOLE week, im like WTF, this is very dangerous, my stomach was literally hurting of all the food in my body, I was scared to even eat because of that, This OTC med works best for me, it comes in a 10oz bottle and is very cheap. It says adults or age 12+ should drink the whole bottle. I did exactly that, (sorry to discuss anyone), and honestly a WEEKS worth of shit was gone, I felt SOOOO much better after. It works for me EVERYTIME, I don't get as constipated anymore like before, because my body is used to methadone now with almost 3 years on it. I guarantee even if you don't shit for a month, this OTC med WILL work.

#2 Metamucil Fiber Powder

This is more expensive, and doesn't work as well as the one I listed above, it still works, but not as good as the Magnesium. Both of these are OTC meds, and can be found pretty much anywhere, from Albertsons, target, wal mart, wal grees, rite aid, anywhere.

Hope this helps, and good luck. :)

I had this same problem with methadone and I had been eating fibers and drinking water, fruits. Nothing really helped. Not even mineral oil.. I was lucky if I'd gone once every 2 weeks..

Same here, comes with the territory it seems. When I went to a clinic the toilet was always broken due to this. There used to be a really huge guy, and they forbade him from using it after breaking it 5+ times. Seemed really bias as all of their customers would break it, I doubt that because guy was fat didn't make any difference. I myself broke both of my toilets.

When I was on subs I needed to take ducolax, :X:!8(8o:D, something like that.

Staying hydrated helps, nothing is a pain in the ass like fiber packed dry shits.