• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentynal in Heroin?

runningupthathill

Greenlighter
Hey y'all

Fentanyl seems to be all over the news these days. A number of celebrity deaths have been related to Fentanyl this year. What is the reality of this Fentynal scare?

A lot of the Heroin I've seen in the past few years has been a powdery white/tan substance. I assume that it isn't actually "China White". I have seen it the most while living in NYC but also hears from friends on the West Coast that it is around out there as well. A lot of friends who have habits like to talk about certain batches being "more Fentynaly", or being able to taste the Fentynal in a bag. Is there actually any Fentynal in the Heroin that they are getting?

I have seen the "small dose" of Fentynal that is supposed to be deadly, so it doesn't make sense that any of these friends are actually shooting Fentynal. One hypothesis I had was that it is some synthetic opioid that might not be Heroin or Fentynal. For years I've assumed a lot of the white/tan powdered Heroin was just Fentynal but that doesn't make sense with the "deadly dose". Could the idea of certain batches having more Fentynal or being able to detect a "Fentynaly high" from a shot all be made up? Maybe this is all real Heroin and it's just different cuts that people are noticing?

The same goes for Xanax to some extent. I've purchased a good amount of pressed bars over the years and never experienced Fentynal in them. Have I just gotten lucky?

Is the media overhyping this whole Fentynal thing? Or is it really very dangerous? Maybe I've just been lucky enough to not get any bags/xans with Fentynal in them. It is a little bit scary to think about, but doesn't seem like a huge reality having not experienced it after years of use.

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
It's fentanyl or a closely related analog. It becomes because of dose like any other opiate; its just that the effective amount is so small, sometimes it's not diluted properly, or people don't know what they're doing or don't bother telling people what they're getting, and you get a lethal dose. But if you take the right amount for your tolerance it's not any more deadly than any other opiate. The key is to always do small test shots of new batches before proceeding to your normal dose.

The high is slightly different; fentanyl and its analogs also typically last half as long as heroin (though some last as long or longer), so there's that too. Experienced users can tell. The likely mechanism is that there's at least 4 different opiate receptors in the body, each of which has different effects, and every opiate has a different profile of binding affinity and selectivity for each of the subtypes, so it's unique.

Xanax is a different class of drug, so finding fentanyl in that would be like finding coke in it. Sure it happens but rarely.

PS- No SWIM here.

Doing small shots to test for fent is dangerous due to the liklyhood of hot spots. The only way to honestly know is to purchase some test strips that can detect fentanyl.

No the media is not blowing it out of proportion given the increase in fent related overdoses and fentanyl seizures. In some port cities most of the dope containes little if any diacetylmorphine and instead is mostly an inactive cut accompanied by fentanyl or an analogue of fentanyl.

Had a buddy land in the hospital over fake oxy 30s, fent is definitely as prevalent as they make it out to be.

It's fentanyl or a closely related analog. It becomes because of dose like any other opiate; its just that the effective amount is so small, sometimes it's not diluted properly, or people don't know what they're doing or don't bother telling people what they're getting, and you get a lethal dose. But if you take the right amount for your tolerance it's not any more deadly than any other opiate. The key is to always do small test shots of new batches before proceeding to your normal dose.

The high is slightly different; fentanyl and its analogs also typically last half as long as heroin (though some last as long or longer), so there's that too. Experienced users can tell. The likely mechanism is that there's at least 4 different opiate receptors in the body, each of which has different effects, and every opiate has a different profile of binding affinity and selectivity for each of the subtypes, so it's unique.

Xanax is a different class of drug, so finding fentanyl in that would be like finding coke in it. Sure it happens but rarely.

PS- No SWIM here.

Doing small shots to test for fent is dangerous due to the liklyhood of hot spots. The only way to honestly know is to purchase some test strips that can detect fentanyl.

No the media is not blowing it out of proportion given the increase in fent related overdoses and fentanyl seizures. In some port cities most of the dope containes little if any diacetylmorphine and instead is mostly an inactive cut accompanied by fentanyl or an analogue of fentanyl.

Thanks for the responses. Makes sense. So it prob is just fent/fent analogue with a majority of the bag being some inactive cut? I have totally noticed some batches not lasting very long. One friend describes some of the more fenty stuff as "not having legs", if that makes sense.

Thats interesting about different opiate receptors. One friend who has been doing tar for years on the west coast was telling me how he recently found a source of the white powdered stuff and can't get the same high from tar anymore. We were actually discussing the whole fentynal vs heroin issue and it got me thinking.

Test strips would really be the best move. I guess knowing your dealer always helps to some extent. Not trying to downplay the amount of fent related deaths lately. I was just a bit confused about a lot of heroin actually being fentynal. I guess any bag could have hot spots in reality.

On another note, I have seen some news about xanax or coke being cut with fent which also seems really strange to me, but I'm sure it does happen.

Yeah it's defiantly out there. I do know some dealers are afraid of selling it cause of people dying. However, it's still relatively common, at least by me.

As another user stated above... It only lasts about half as long. Now I don't IV, but I can also tell the difference because when I blow stuff cut with fent, it hits much faster.

^True, sniffing H when you are sick as fuck always took me 15 minutes for the relief to begin washing over. Not sure about fent was never into it knowingly and this was before a lot more people started dying from that. Even if I wanted to, I'd be way too nervous (or common sense, really now that it's a choice) to ever do a line again. I just know it almost definitely wouldn't feel like the same drug and probably kill me.

The problem as people have stated above is "hot spots" within your pile of dope. As the OP has mentioned, the lethal amount of fentanyl is absolutely miniscule in comparison to the amount of powder in say 1 gram of supposed heroin. If the fentanyl is not evenly distributed within the powdered material, then it's very possible to get several milligrams of fent (i.e. enough to kill you) all concentrated in one area. The unfortunate user may think that they are playing it safe by only using a small portion of their dope but that portion may easily contain most, if not all, of the fentanyl with fatal consequences. Technically, if one had access to pharmaceutical fentanyl vials and used a sensible amount in keeping with the individual tollerance, then it shouldn't be anymore dangerous than any other strong opioid... it's the poor preparation and the resulting unknown dose that causes the problem. I would caveat that statement by saying that having used bucall fentanyl (pharmaceutical) it does feel slightly different than other powerful opiods. The high isn't quite the same and it's almost as if one can feel the respiratory depression before the high, which is obviously very dangerous if people attempt to chase a high that really isn't there. The high from pure fentanyl almost feels like one is being aenethasised.. it's hard to describe, it's almost like one is being detached from any physical sensation. I can see why it's often used as a pre-med or even as part of the aenethetic cocktail of drugs. It is used in particularly in combination with midazolam and ketamine as part of a rapid sequence induction (RSI) general aenethetic in the field (it provides general aenethesia without the complete cessation of breathing as is found with induction by the use of traditional general aenethetics such as propofol or sodium thiapental. This is done so the patient can be intubated without the need for an machine to 'breath' for the patient.

I apologise for the slightly off topic post, but I just thought a post outlining how pure fentanyl is meant to work and feel from the perspective of someone who has been prescribed it for extreme acute and chronic pain as well as the medical perspective from a combat medic and a civilian EMT/paramedic... I hope this post was of some use to someone and if you got this far then thank you for reading (and I apologise for the inevitable typos as I'm typing this on my Samsung tablet which I find even more fiddly than a fucking smartphone lol). Take care and be safe <3

Last edited:
In UK here, thinking the last few years H has become more and more adulterated, people that just want to get monged out don't seem to mind it, but the fentanyl stuff has no euphoria - it's just sedation but no happy buzz- good brown can keep you up all night gigging maybe dosing on and off a little - but it's warm euphoric drifting - this is much blanker and not much fun - there's physical numbing - terrible for sex -even worse than H.... it's a shame because people are not going to complain because it does wipe you out and leave you stoned - but in the meantime we will lose the really lovely quality that the original product had.... :!

Also it really seems annecdotally to push up peoples day to day maintenance scripts - and also have heard a lot more naloxone is needed to treat OD so this should be shared among treatment centres - hopefully we can help lessen the damage done...

I suggest homogenizing a solution of dissolved fentanyl heroin (say ten doses).then filtering through a micron.

This will leave you with a clear solution with fentanyl distributed evenly throughout all of the liquid. Thus eliminating hotspots within your own sample.

This does not account for the fact that your sample is heavily dosed due to a hotspot in the dealers stash...but at least it removes them from your dope and spreads the fent e cnn evenly

This is the only format by which I consume illicit pills or dope now days.

As a 31 yr heroin addict I have come across certain stamps which turned out to be fent...with experience comes caution and honestly I had no clue this certain stamp was fentanyl...just thought it was the best dope I found in years. But after like 3 or 4 I don't remember leaving my buddy's house and getting home...got two pics that my brother took of me where my eyes are rolled up into my head and total memory loss is the norm...JSYK the stamp was called High Voltage" and after I showed my guy he said fuck it I'm not selling no mo...so ever since then had no other contact with it....Thoughts, Comments Ideas etc.....