• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentanyl withdrawal

azgaza

Bluelighter
Well I've made a mistake in judgement the past month that I am now being 'punished' for; the past few weekends, starting a few weeks before new years eve I used fentanyl (nasally); usually for 2-4 days in a row; then around christmas I also used fentanyl and then not for two days which is when I first noticed withdrawal symptoms; being hot and cold at the same time and sweating and some shaking. I had xanax though so I went to sleep and the next morning bought codeine cough syrup which as I expected helped. That evening was the evening before new years eve though and at the evening I used fentanyl again, about constantly until thursday; the 3th of januari. Stupid enough though on most of the weekdays I used low doses of codeine against a throat-cough-thingy I had, the doses were maybe around 20-30 mg at a time but I'm hypersensitive for codeine; it lasts really long and constricts my pupils very much and I even feel the opiate high mentally from it pretty well; I think my liver is the type that hyper-motabolizes codeine into morphine; did not really take that into account though but all together I've used opiates about constantly for around a month.

Withdrawal symptoms started on friday; around 16 hours after last fentanyl usage and got to their worst around 24 hours later maybe; from then on it has stayed about the same. The most pronounced symptom is the cold sweating; it's a lot of sweat and this is not how temperature is supposed to feel. I'm either freezing or much too hot, I also shake a lot; not like shivering more like actually shaking. My energy is really low but I'm also very restless. There's also random pain and my muscles are too tense, when not on xanax I feel rather restless. Unfortunately for me, last night I ran out of xanax which until then I had been taking to ignore the withdrawal by sleeping most of the time (worked pretty well) and I'm not addicted to any GABA substances and have no tolerance to them so running out isn't a problem other then I don't have it to self medicate anymore from now on. On friday evening I also self-medicated with ketamine (worked pretty well too, ran out of that too unfortunately) and I had in total 8 mg of loperamide which I took one at a time until yesterday; ran out of that too. Not sure if such a low dose made any of a difference... so now all of the self medication is gone and the withdrawal is still here; today it's just shaking cold clammy skin. I've been able to eat the whole time, today too; no nausea or anything no other digestive tract problems at all. I am normally also pretty much immune to nausea anyway so maybe I'm lucky and will skip that entirely.

I'm not mentally addicted, it's just a physical thing; I don't crave opiates (do crave ketamine but that's a different story), I never was mentally addicted, I was just stupidly using too long in a row. Now I'm just trying to sort of feel ok and smoking some hash and hoping that since it's the third day already and fentanyl has a really short half life it'll pass soon. I think as soon as these physical symptoms of lameness will go away I'll be feeling ok again on all fronts. It's by the way by far not the worst I've ever felt; K-cramps were much, much worse, it's still pretty awful though. I'm posting this hoping that there's people who have experience with fentanyl withdrawal or withdrawal from opiates with a short half life and I hope to hear how long I'll have to deal with this. Symptoms started friday evening and its now sunday afternoon, I thínk the worst is sort of over; I'm guessing the worst day was yesterday but I slept most of it on xanax. Also I'm wondering if there's any non-medication non-drug tips anyone might have. I'm too weak to move around much or do anything at all; I was considering taking a shower in a bit and hoping that helps a bit for how my skin feels. Other then that I can't really think of anything but the combination of having no energy whatsoever and the restlessness is nasty and I'm not sure what to do other then looking at the clock and waiting for time to pass.

Well the good news , is that due to fentanyl's very short half-life the withdrawals are mercifully short. Do not take codeine , it will do very little in relief but greatly lengthen the acute withdrawal fase which of fentanyl is 24-36 hours by itself, taking codeine will provide 4-8 hours of relief but in return add at the least another 12 hours of pain.

Xanax is good for getting some sleep , for general purposes a long acting benzo like diazepam (valium) , Tranxene (clorazepate) or Librium (chlordiazepoxide) are much better. Smoking hash is a good idea it brings relief and makes eating and sleeping easier.

Hot showers are a good idea and forcing yourself to go about your business is as well , go for a walk as soon as you csn even if you feel and look like shit. Don't you worry you will get completely better in a couple of weeks if you dont get back in touch with opiates.

Please try to make your questions clear and concise if you want more answers. Use question marks at the end of each question.

In general, fentanyl drug withdrawal symptoms are the strongest and most discomforting in the first day or two after discontinuing use of the medication. Fentanyl withdrawal duration will depend on:

How long you have used fentanyl patches
The strength/dosage of fentanyl

Clearly, those who have used stronger doses of fentanyl for longer periods of times (as well as those who have developed a high tolerance to pain medication) will experience the most severe fentanyl withdrawals.

Fentanyl megathread:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/491267-Fentanyl-Megathread-and-FAQ

Opioid withdrawal megathread:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/569872-The-Opioid-Withdrawal-Megathread-and-FAQ

Good luck

Yeah I'm not using codeine now and I'm not planning on getting any either; I also thought it would just make the withdrawal longer and would probably still be too light to properly help anyway and since I'm already opiod free for a few days now its a much better idea to remain patient and just wait for the rest of it to pass. I still get the idea it's already improving compared to yesterday and hopefully by tomorrow a bit of my energy has come back so I can go do stuff.

What I'm feeling is all sort of paradoxal; restless + exhausted and cold + sweating, actually I think it's getting better only really these things are left now and no new symptoms appeared yet and haven't for quite some time. I know that I should move around a bit but today I just don't have the energy. Hopefully tomorrow after more food and not-moving I'll feel somewhat fit enough to go outside. Even if I don't I probably still will anyway, I have a lot of things to do of which most involve being outisde too so I'll try to pick up life and if that's not yet possible (keeping the short half life in mind it actually should be) atleast walk around a bit. So far showering did help, but only briefly and right now I feel the same as before only colder because of wet hair.

I hope that the fact that in the month or so of using opiates I also used codeine, which has a longer half life, does not mean that these symptoms will last much longer, since it's already been close to 48 hours now I really hope that I'll feel normal or closer to normal soon. Guess it is getting a bit better slowly? Somewhat hard to tell. I'm trying to be as optimistic about as many things as I can, sometimes hard and sometimes when it works quite benificial. It's a shame I have so much things I should be getting done, adds to the restlessness in the form of stress and I don't feel capable of much yet, too weak. Probably / hopefully tomorrow though, especially if I can sleep tonight (without benzo's for the first time since this started so I'm hoping for the best).

I actually don't really know if I have much questions; mostly how much longer this will last, I'm guessing not too long as it's been close to 48 hours already anyway and I believe the worst is actually over atleast slowly clearing up today? I find it hard to really be sure what I'm feeling anyway. I've used the fentanyl nasally and not for thát long in a period of time; too long clearly, but not very long and I didn't get that much of a tolerance to it yet (some, but not a lot). Biggest questions really are what can I do to keep myself busy and how big is the chance that now its been 48 hours that the worst is over and it was just pretty mild overal or that the fact there were also codeine days means it'll be longer withdrawal? It's been longer since I used codeine then fentanyl as mentioned in the first post when I did what. Two days for strongest symptoms actually sounds like it, I feel more hungry today naturally, that should be a good sign?

I've heared different things of how long this is supposed to last; withdrawal from fentanyl that is; some say about 24 hours but I've also read 48 hours and some say even a bit longer? Guess I just have to find out. Not sure how much difference the codeine of earlier in the month should make in duration of withdrawal. If using more then one different opiate is there still just one general withdrawal?

Last edited:
Don't worry rest

I don' believe having used codeine will significantly altered the lenth of the withdrawals my warning was more in regards to what will happen if you used codeine now to relieve WD symptoms.
Although Fentanyl has a short half life I think it gets stored in muscle tissue very quickly so with long time use this willl make WD's exponentially longer.

Also I think the most important now is not too worry too much and also don't expect to get better overnight, you have made the mistake of dabbling with Fentananyl now deal with the consequences , asking yourself how many more days every night and going through the huge list of things one has to do when one does get better is not beneficial to your recovery (I've been there).

Note to other posters the OP was using fentanyl NASALLY , not patches..

ps; Do you like to read? Nothing gets me trhough WD like a good book.

Well I've made a mistake in judgement the past month that I am now being 'punished' for; the past few weekends, starting a few weeks before new years eve I used fentanyl (nasally); usually for 2-4 days in a row; then around christmas I also used fentanyl and then not for two days which is when I first noticed withdrawal symptoms; being hot and cold at the same time and sweating and some shaking. I had xanax though so I went to sleep and the next morning bought codeine cough syrup which as I expected helped. That evening was the evening before new years eve though and at the evening I used fentanyl again, about constantly until thursday; the 3th of januari. Stupid enough though on most of the weekdays I used low doses of codeine against a throat-cough-thingy I had, the doses were maybe around 20-30 mg at a time but I'm hypersensitive for codeine; it lasts really long and constricts my pupils very much and I even feel the opiate high mentally from it pretty well; I think my liver is the type that hyper-motabolizes codeine into morphine; did not really take that into account though but all together I've used opiates about constantly for around a month.

Withdrawal symptoms started on friday; around 16 hours after last fentanyl usage and got to their worst around 24 hours later maybe; from then on it has stayed about the same. The most pronounced symptom is the cold sweating; it's a lot of sweat and this is not how temperature is supposed to feel. I'm either freezing or much too hot, I also shake a lot; not like shivering more like actually shaking. My energy is really low but I'm also very restless. There's also random pain and my muscles are too tense, when not on xanax I feel rather restless. Unfortunately for me, last night I ran out of xanax which until then I had been taking to ignore the withdrawal by sleeping most of the time (worked pretty well) and I'm not addicted to any GABA substances and have no tolerance to them so running out isn't a problem other then I don't have it to self medicate anymore from now on. On friday evening I also self-medicated with ketamine (worked pretty well too, ran out of that too unfortunately) and I had in total 8 mg of loperamide which I took one at a time until yesterday; ran out of that too. Not sure if such a low dose made any of a difference... so now all of the self medication is gone and the withdrawal is still here; today it's just shaking cold clammy skin. I've been able to eat the whole time, today too; no nausea or anything no other digestive tract problems at all. I am normally also pretty much immune to nausea anyway so maybe I'm lucky and will skip that entirely.

I'm not mentally addicted, it's just a physical thing; I don't crave opiates (do crave ketamine but that's a different story), I never was mentally addicted, I was just stupidly using too long in a row. Now I'm just trying to sort of feel ok and smoking some hash and hoping that since it's the third day already and fentanyl has a really short half life it'll pass soon. I think as soon as these physical symptoms of lameness will go away I'll be feeling ok again on all fronts. It's by the way by far not the worst I've ever felt; K-cramps were much, much worse, it's still pretty awful though. I'm posting this hoping that there's people who have experience with fentanyl withdrawal or withdrawal from opiates with a short half life and I hope to hear how long I'll have to deal with this. Symptoms started friday evening and its now sunday afternoon, I thínk the worst is sort of over; I'm guessing the worst day was yesterday but I slept most of it on xanax. Also I'm wondering if there's any non-medication non-drug tips anyone might have. I'm too weak to move around much or do anything at all; I was considering taking a shower in a bit and hoping that helps a bit for how my skin feels. Other then that I can't really think of anything but the combination of having no energy whatsoever and the restlessness is nasty and I'm not sure what to do other then looking at the clock and waiting for time to pass.

thats WD for you... it sucks ass and theres not much to be done aside from waiting it out... for me i listened to tons of music.. literally for hours and when i was able to move around i basically just came up with random errands to run (because i wasnt able to sleep anyway)...

just stick it out and dont do any more opiates... best of luck.

I believe that most of it is over now; yesterday evening late symptoms started clearing up really fast suddently and I'd feel better almost every minute; slept a full night and today I awoke feeling normal. Withdrawal did indeed last only 48 hours; not overly long at all. Symptoms stayed the same the whole time, never got digestive tract issues although I feared them, very glad they stayed away. I ate constantly too yesterday figuring my body needed energy to recover, and recover it did :) Well since how long it has been since the last symptoms I think I'm safe now, if I'm not however, the pharmacy is open and I cóuld buy loperamide if it turns out I'll still need it. Don't think so though and I'm not going to take anything I don't need :)

Thanks for the advises I got; I did spend my time just watching series, listening to music and waiting while keeping myself distracted and now it's already over. Definitely no more opiates indeed; atleast not for quite some time and preferably not recreationally either. Even if I were to do that some day; not for serveral days in a row but best would be none at all ofcourse. I do not mentally crave opiates; just ketamine which I've been addicted to for years and is a completely unrelated story. Guess I just didn't expect withdrawal to happen so easily but now that I do know I don't have to repeat my mistake :)

Must add that these 48 hours felt like forever; I'd hate to imagen what a long or intense withdrawal would be like this was more then unpleasant enough already.

Yeah thats a major problem when your going through withdrawals minutes feel like days lol, and you can never sleep so that just adds to the torture. Congrats for making it through my man, and try your best to stay away from the opiates. The fun they give you isn't even remotely worth the misery you have to pay it back with. I have only experienced heroin withdrawals which suck ass, but like you said I can't even imagine what bupe or methadone withdrawals are like i'd probly kill myself :X

Yeah thats a major problem when your going through withdrawals minutes feel like days lol, and you can never sleep so that just adds to the torture.

For real. 24 hours is a longggg time when you're not sleeping...

Yep. I don't even bother trying to sleep the first couple nights, It's hopeless.

i'd use a more fun/recreational/safer opioid next time you do decide to go on a run, fwiw. the intense, albeit short, wd's get more intense each time and quite frankly i'd rather go through couple days extra shitiness using a longer acting, more euphoric and enjoyable opioid. though, you're not addicted to them in general so you're a lot more likely to avoid dependency when you do use, so you already have one up on a lot of us regular users!

Wow you write so much text saying the same things over and over again. You are also asking questions and answering them yourself...

i'd use a more fun/recreational/safer opioid next time you do decide to go on a run, fwiw. the intense, albeit short, wd's get more intense each time and quite frankly i'd rather go through couple days extra shitiness using a longer acting, more euphoric and enjoyable opioid. though, you're not addicted to them in general so you're a lot more likely to avoid dependency when you do use, so you already have one up on a lot of us regular users!

^fully agree. Not to say that oxy is safer, but I try to draw the line at lower doses of oxycodone for opioids to prevent serious withdrawals or physical dependence. Fentanyl, iv dilaudid, opana, all are really potent prescription opioids that will cause shitty withdrawals. oxy could also but I think only if you begin to exceed 30mg a day.

If you took 30mg of oxy everyday for 2 years and then stopped cold turkey I'm 99% sure you'd be experiencing some pretty miserable withdrawals.

If you took 30mg of oxy everyday for 2 years and then stopped cold turkey I'm 99% sure you'd be experiencing some pretty miserable withdrawals.
It is ABSOLUTE hell. I've been on a prescribed dose of 240-300mg/day oxycodone ir for just about 2 years now.I remember running out after not even a year of use and being a non-functional, sick mess.
And I I think in my experience fentanyl transdermal is the very worst to wd from. I've been on that for the same amt of time as the oxycodone. The feeling I have gotten when without has been indescribable.
The OP got off very very easily and I think it's really cool that he or she has obviously learned a lesson about fentanyl.
Just imagine having it in your system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 years and running out. Blah.
I definitely agree that there are safer options out there ( including oxycodone). As Long as you give these drugs proper respect and as long as you are able to maintain your non-habit-forming nature, you should be fine.
Cat

Hellu.
many addicts here where i live use 3-methyl Fentanyl , because there is no other opiate on the streets. the withdrawals is, as i have heard are terrible( most potent opiate ever- MF-3 ) and many end on methadone treatment for many, many years if they want to come off the struggle.Or they eventually die IF they are not careful enough. not talking about of course veteran users who can handle themselves.
some of them use MF-3 and benzos together as well. dangerous stuff.
will be trying it real soon if all goes as planned. Perfect christmas. just worried about the withdrawals i might get is i use only on weekends. Il be able to use 5 doses of it .1 dose for regular user, that's most likely one hit IV . massive tolerance addicts use 3- 10 doses.
dangerous stuff, and that's what we got here. over the counter codeine in painkillers (regular CWE hassle) maybe too and poppies.
And hard to obtain MF-3, for me at least ( don't have any real connections myself , and don't speak the language most of the dealers who sell this MF-3 i speak of) .really sad for an opiate seasonal user ( late summer till end of winter ), who would just like to get some quality Opium or H :D%)%).

Last edited: