• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fentanyl patch Q&A Thread [your generic/Mallinckrodt/Sandoz/Duragesic thread is here]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I def dont suggest chewing up any duregesic patches im pretty sure thats a good recipe for disaster!

I just picked up my medications and they gave me the new apotex patch. I will let you know tommorow if it is as good as I hear. B.S. [ MY INITIALS]

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHIT IT WILL AND DOES KILL! they dont give this shit to surgery patients prior to surgery because it gets em high its so they can knock em out in a controlled manner it isnt very recreational its more anastetic then anything and u need to stay away its not fun stick with oxys or anything else besides fent!

Question about where your thread went? Read this post first.

^Caution is certainly needed when using fentanyl patches (of any brand name/generic name).

Fentanyl is a very potent opioid and it is not recommended that people without opiate/opioid tolerance and experience use it whatsoever. The danger of overdose is very real because of how potent fentanyl is.

Fentanyl is approx 100 times more potent than morphine, when going via the IV route. That means that 0.1mg (that's only 100 micrograms) of fentanyl IV is approx. equal to 10mg morphine IV. Please be extremely careful when dosing fentanyl and always start lower and work your way up. Fentanyl is very short-acting compared to most other opiates that are commonly used in medicine and recreationally. See the Bluelight Opioid Conversion Chart for more information but please bear in mind that everybody's reaction to different drugs is different.

I have merged the two threads about fentanyl patches (the different brand names vs. generics vs. Mallinckrodt vs. Sandoz etc) into one thread (this thread).

If anybody has any questions regarding this, please feel free to PM me or any other member of the BDD staff, thank you. :)

____

General Fentanyl/Duragesic/Fentanyl Transdermal System Links:

-Bluelight Resources-

fentanyl patch, no tolerance - information for opioid-naive people

Sandoz Fentanyl Patch VS Mylan Fentanyl Patch (Eating, Smoking Questions)

The Eagle's Fentanyl Patch Guide [OLDER]

-Off-site Resources-

Fentanyl Transdermal Patient Information - PubMed Health

Duragesic (Fentanyl Transdermal) Information - RxList

Duragesic & Generic Fentanyl Patch Information/FAQ - Drugs.com

Last edited:
I gotta ask something, this seems as appropriate a place as any.

There are an ass-ton of super-potent pain killers available in pharmacies today. People always say "don't fuck w/ fentanyl" etc etc. Is this because fentanyl has a higher OD 'profile' than other opioids, or because people are just cautioning someone that higher-potency=more room to mess up a dosage?
<<for instance, if someone enjoyed 5-10mg of hydrocod./day, and had both heroin powder AND an extremely proper scale, I cannot see any risks provided they can both measure a dosage, and know what the conversion rate is. Is that the case with fent? Is all the concern simply a worry someone will measure incorrectly*? Or does fent, once adjusted to the *exact* "comparable" dosage, still have a higher chance of hurting someone, as in getting to "warm" or "nod" on fent is inherently more dangerous than other opes?>>
/*I'm only asking for clarification, am DEFINITELY not trying to make light of the large # of people who, understandably, will mess up just a little when aiming for a dose and kill themselves :\

I believe it is due to a few factors, namely:

-Fentanyl is much shorter-acting than other opioids.
-Fentanyl's euphoria has been reported to be less pronounced than other opioids, which cause inexperienced users to think they should take more.
-Fentanyl is extremely potent compared to other opioids, and people used to dosing traditional opioids should use caution. For example, for an opioid naive person, 10mg hydrocodone may be effective, and if they were to make a mistake and take 15 or 20mg of hydrocodone, they may get sick but they probably wouldn't have a fatal reaction. Doubling the dose of fentanyl, however, could be fatal, due to the drugs potency.
-As I mentioned above, the line between a "high" or "nod" and an overdose is much thinner with fentanyl than with other common opiates.

Hope this helps :)

It does help - are you able to elaborate on why the line is so much thinner though?(or are you saying it's *solely* because of the decreased euphoria causing one to need a higher dose to achieve a 'high', so they're already closer to the OD-threshold?) Like, is a property of it decreased euphoria/analgesia/etc, but increased CNS depression, when compared to other opes?
/to be crystal-clear, let's just assume that the fentanyl was dosed 100% properly, say, because someone's pharmacist made them 5mcg fentanyl pills, so the person could dose w/o *ANY* concern of an error in quantity - and even then there's still a danger over other opiates? Which other opiates, once corrected for equivalency, have such low therapeutic-indexes?<line between 'effect'/'toxicity'>

say, because someone's pharmacist made them 5mcg fentanyl pills, so the person could dose w/o *ANY* concern of an error in quantity - and even then there's still a danger over other opiates? Which other opiates, once corrected for equivalency, have such low therapeutic-indexes?<line between 'effect'/'toxicity'>

I don't believe so, I feel that main danger exists because of how potent it is, making the dosing that much more important, esp. for inexperienced users who equate it to other opiates that have much larger therapeutic indexes.

For example, if somebody (assuming they have no opiate tolerance) made a dosing error and took double, or triple the dose they were trying to use with an opiate such as hydrocodone or oxycodone, they would most likely just get sick or have a non-fatal overdose occur. However, if the same thing happened with fentanyl, the result would be much more dangerous.

For comparison:

Let's say I wanted to start with 10mg hydrocodone, but took 30mg hydrocodone by mistake, I would still live, although the experience most likely wouldn't be that pleasant, due to nausea, vomiting, etc.

However, if I was using fentanyl instead, and was going to start with 50mcg (0.05mg) of fentanyl but took 150mcg (0.15mg) by mistake, the it would be much more likely for an overdose situation to occur.

I've only had fentanyl via the IV route in a medical setting, so this information is going by research I've done and other BLers I've spoken to. Your mileage may vary, but because of what's happened to other people not understanding the dangerous of fentanyl, I wanted to put that in there. :)

Wow, didn't know there was reason outside of sheer potency... I'm same as you, have only seen it in a medical setting, surgery/IV-drip lol

I have had the patch here in my room for over a week, since getting it back then. Haven't tried it yet.

It says:

Fentanyl Transdermal System;
100 mcg/h - Waston Brand.

I too just got the Mallinckrodt patches where I used to get the Duragesics which were great for oral use. I'm finding these Mallinckrodt's don't work nearly as well. Do you still chew on them? Any feedback is appreciated!

Are the Actavis Transdermal patches worth while, not like im gonna jump into the Fentanyl game but just wondering since I gave up a chance to do one for free.

First time poster here, so hello and pardon my ignorance if I've started a thread and should have asked this in a different place, but I feel like I'm okay here. I was given a 100mcg/h watson fentanyl patch and am curious. I generally do 3-4 30mg roxicets a day for at least two years now.

I'm not really interested in smoking the gel or ingesting sublingually. To be honest, I'm just trying to make it to my dr's appointment on Monday.

I guess my questions are: Do I need to worry about ODing by wearing this whole patch at once? I'm kind of looking for a nice little high to get me through the weekend, but due to finances this is really my only option at this time. I keep reading about how dangerous fentanyl is and now I suppose it's gotten me a little paranoid. I also have no one locally to ask specifically about this and this is my last beacon of hope.

Please forgive my ignorance and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

First time poster here, so hello and pardon my ignorance if I've started a thread and should have asked this in a different place, but I feel like I'm okay here. I was given a 100mcg/h watson fentanyl patch and am curious. I generally do 3-4 30mg roxicets a day for at least two years now.

I'm not really interested in smoking the gel or ingesting sublingually. To be honest, I'm just trying to make it to my dr's appointment on Monday.

I guess my questions are: Do I need to worry about ODing by wearing this whole patch at once? I'm kind of looking for a nice little high to get me through the weekend, but due to finances this is really my only option at this time. I keep reading about how dangerous fentanyl is and now I suppose it's gotten me a little paranoid. I also have no one locally to ask specifically about this and this is my last beacon of hope.

Please forgive my ignorance and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

There is a Fentanyl Mega thread that could have your answer in there if you do a search. I dont have any experience with Fentanyl so I cant give you any good advice. I know from reading about it on here that if you place the patch on your skin as prescribed, you get 100% of the Fentanyl in you & its done the proper way, not like smoking the gel to get high & easily overdosing.

I have a friend that stuck a patch on his arm but he didnt like the feeling he got from fentanyl. He said he would get headaches & what not. Fentanyl is a tricky narcotic so I would definitely try & get as much information before putting the patch on & you have the 100mcg one, thats gonna be really strong for someone that is naive to Fentanyl, imo.

oh heres a comment, they suck and i dont mean they suck good, like I have spent three days tryig all the tricks in the book, I am going to the manufacture and get back what I used to have cuz I can feel and damn thing eith subbucal of on my skin, some one help me with this situation if anyone know a sure fire way to fire or get a better way to keep me out of pain and withdraw I cannot believe tha difference and my pharm says I would love thes i cant stand them they suck any way you look at them

no good at all very dissapointed and now I am stuck with 3 boxes of 100mcgs. I have contacted the manufacturer and I am going to try to send them back of get my pharmacist to exchange them out, they blow, blow blow I hate to say that but from what I understand they have been on the market a couple of months go figure, i have a high tolerence I can slam 5 80 oxys at a time an stil carry on a conversation with people, I feel cursed sometimes for ral and if anyone has any clver or great ideas on shooting these babys let me know, very ready at this point ll

I just got switched to Mallinckrodt, I do not care for the brand myself, I believe these are made from same manufaturer but I tend to chew or suck my patches, also was getting another brand they were thinner and stronger, I do not care for the thicker patches, that have that have the 3 layers yuck I have to either freeze them and then or microwave and use a sharp object to scrape off the fentynal portion very thin and does not last as long as my previous patches, mypharm says we can try a different brand next time, well we wil see what I get next time hopefully gel patchesI used to love those I know, I should not eat or chew them but I enjoy, only I seem to run out earlier then I should and go through hell fo a while yeah not fun:(

Yes I do, and what I have found is that I have to either freeze them or microwave them, put them up to the light and scrape off the fentynal portion off, put between my cheek and gums try not to swollow although that is hard to do, I kinda wish I had never started oral use, now looking for a way to shoot them, and I see lots of postings, i have a very high tolerence, I can shoot 5 80 oxys and still be standing, I am not braging, I am really kinda sad about that because tolerence can be tough on my prescriptions and then I tend to abuse, Yep me, I started out a full fledged heroin user at 16 years old and well now I am well ya know older and should be wiser, but not me, I love opiates and probably always will.

Fentanyl megathread

There are also some more specific threads in the Other Drugs directory, found in the header at the top of their forum.

We don't really do megathread-style long threads here anymore, check the "state of BDD" sticky at the top of our forum :)

Be very, very, very careful with fentanyl. Killed a lot of people, several BLers including (probably) my boyfriend. Not one to fuck with; and remember patch dose is mcg per hour and not the total amount in the patch (it should state that somewhere on it).

Closed, PM me with any queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.