• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Fentanyl overdoses become No. 1 cause of death among US adults, ages 18-45: 'A national emergency'

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Fentanyl overdoses become No. 1 cause of death among US adults, ages 18-45: 'A national emergency'​

Adam Shaw, Andrew Mark Miller
Fox
16 Dec 2021

Overdose deaths soared to a record 93,000 last year in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. government reported. That estimate far eclipses the high of about 72,000 drug overdose deaths reached the previous year and amounts to a 29% increase.
Fentanyl overdoses have surged to the leading cause of death for adults between the ages of 18 and 45, according to an analysis of U.S. government data.

Between 2020 and 2021, nearly 79,000 people between 18 and 45 years old — 37,208 in 2020 and 41,587 in 2021 — died of fentanyl overdoses, the data analysis from opioid awareness organization Families Against Fentanyl shows.

Read the full story here.

Last edited:
While I find the numbers believable enough, overdoses involving fentanyl would be more accurate term than fentanyl overdoses. Also I question the motives of the organization they got them from. This ‘Families Against Fentanyl’ group wants to “Declare fentanyl a weapon of mass destruction”.

I guess they don’t want our troops using it for prehospital pain management, or cancer patients to have pain management, or people of all groups to have an effective drug for anesthesia….

Last edited:
I still can't believe people actually die chasing the most underwhelming and dysphoric high ever.
I think most people would rather have straight heroin but the supply is simply too contaminated for people to find anything but fent

I still can't believe people actually die chasing the most underwhelming and dysphoric high ever.
man this new generation of kids... that's all they know, fent. They've never done heroin, oxy or anything. It's all been fent their entire lives... really sad tbh

especially when their favorite songs talk about percocets n bars and shit... they idolize it then go buy fent thinking it's their rappers favorite drug

What is a fent high compared to the heroin high i get in the UK dont touch the stuff when back in states

It's often described as being a "colder", more intense and sedating feeling, and just generally less enjoyable compared to the high from diamorphine.

It's hard for me to say anything with specificity because I've never had anyone say to me, hey brah, want some fentanyl? I've seen others consume fentanyl patches but at that time I didn't express any interest in it and I didn't give it a try. I do have some experience with #4 stamps in urban northeast markets during the mid-late 2010s, though, so there is literally 0 doubt in my mind that I've consumed fent lol. How much, and in combination with whatever else was in the product, I couldn't tell you. I actually thought that the quality of stuff I got was pretty consistent, though, it would usually keep me pleasantly opiated for at least six hours, sometimes more sometimes less. There was an extended period in my life before when I lived on the west coast and the quality of the stuff out there (almost entirely "tar", or mixed morphine alkaloids) was much more variable IME (although I think that you may be more likely to receive fent-unadulterated product there, compared to #4 on the east coast). If given a choice between tar and #4 I'd choose #4 every time, risk of fent or no...

I hear lots of bad stuff on here and elsewhere about the quality of products going around and it sounds terrible, a hundred thousand dead is tragic. But...on the other hand I just don't know how inferior it is compared to the "traditional" stuff, I guess? Like I said, considering what I bought and the markets I was in, I have basically no doubt that I've consumed it at least once, probably many times. And who knows, maybe during some of those times I thought, wow, this is some good stuff right here pardner! It would be interesting to receive a measured dose of fentanyl and a measured dose of pure diamorphine, just for a taste test of sorts lol. Nowadays I'm just a boring person who is content with a bit of cannabis & kratom now and again ;)

What is a fent high compared to the heroin high i get in the UK dont touch the stuff when back in states
I would just describe it as much stronger physically, but with about 95% of the euphoria and fun stripped out. It feels empty... The nods just feel like taking a shitty nap not euphoric at all. It has no soul or magic to it.

And by stronger physically I mean all the physical side effects from opiates, not a body high.

Thanks to both of you it is just bad that basically you guys are stuck with fent now . Nearest thing i can think of is like a nod on pods where its not really euphoric just a deep kind of sleep

100 000 deaths how many people are affected by it parents siblings, kids, without a parent it stupidity by the government not to give out heroin on prescription people will continue dying but they stick to not moral to give drugs to addicts its not moral to let so many people die

Sadly these deaths will likely be politicized. The right will blame the left, drugs will be demonized again, nothing will change in the end and more people will go to jail and die. I hate my country sometimes...

Sadly these deaths will likely be politicized. The right will blame the left, drugs will be demonized again, nothing will change in the end and more people will go to jail and die. I hate my country sometimes...
Its just never made sense to me to carry this useless war on drugs not because im a drug user but 100 000 people dying because they dont have access to get something that if legal will save money and lives give money saved on law and enforcement towards treatment its shown to work . With each generation of politicans you think they would wake up but your right it won't change .

God, what a waste. Contrary to popular belief, most of us not only don't want to kill ourselves (at least not right away), but actually do a pretty good job of keeping ourselves alive in a context of total uncertainty about the active dosages of the illicit drugs that are available to use.

Great painkiller very sedating, makes you nod like hell but with ZERO euphoria.oh, and it's super short lived.

Great painkiller
Yeah. My only experience with it was when I broke my femur, and one paramedic after another kept coming up to me like "looks like you're still in pain" and sticking a little plastic throwaway thing into me. By the time they got me in the ambulance I was in no pain and chatting it up with the paramedics, and as far as I remember wasn't high. It definitely worked for extreme pain.