Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Fentanyl (125mg) - Experienced - Close to death

OC80's

Bluelighter
I should begin this story with a bit of background. I am now 20, was 19 when this trip happened and am fairly experienced with opiates (all pharmaceutical, not H). I am 175-180 pounds, 6'1 athletic and in good shape. My tolerance is about 30 mg Oxy to get me off, 100 morphine for solid nod.

It was late October and me and my friend K had just discovered fentanyl. I had a large supply (which I will not say how I got) of duragesic patches that were 25mg and 100mg. Probably close to 20 of the 25mg and 15 of the 100mg. I read on bluelight how to smoke it off foil so I gave it a go one night with K. We loved the instant sedation!!! We were using about 1 patch in one night, once a week. Now we are both in University and live together in the same apartment. He is a bit heavier than me but did not have as much of a tolerance to opiates as I did. This use continued and my tolerance slowly rose to me being able to do a patch in one night over 2 hours or so. I was still only using occasionaly but when I do drugs I like to push the limits. I had never OD'd or even come close but I like nodding.

Its now late November and Saturday morning. The night before we went out for another buddies birthday and went clubbing. I was not hung over in the morning but I had left my bag and a sweater at A's house as did the birthday boy. I called him up and since I'm the only one of my friends who has a car I went and picked him up. When I arrived at his place my other friend, lets call him Jamaal, had slept over and came with us. We picked up the stuff and everything was kosher. However Jamaal had to go home and asked me to drive him to the train station thats downtown. I drive him down and he takes the train and thanks me. Unfortunately for me I have not driven around downtown very often as I'm not from this town I go to school in so I got lost. Actually I got REALLY lost and I was driving around for almost 2 hours in my BMW X5 (had to say it! :p). I am easily disturbed and upset when stuff like this happens to me. I decided that I'd snort 20mg of oxy when I get back to calm me down and make me feel better. I FINALLY managaed to get back by sheer luck and thanked God when I got back. Just as I finished railing the line of oxy I get a phone call from my sister who had come to town by train to see antoher one of her friends who goes to my school. I picked her up but I have never had a great relationship with her. I dropper her off at her friends and returned home.

When I returned I was working on a long essay that was very stressful for me and I was freaking out. This was basically the worst day of the year for me and I was very upset. My roommate K had been out for most of the day and it was around 11 o'clock at night. I was still feeling the oxy decently and decided I'd hit the fentanyl. The essay had not been going well and I decided the fentanyl would kill the pain. I busted out the foil and started hitting an opened 25 mg patch that had about half the gel left. I finished the patch and was not as high as I wanted. I opened a new 100mg patch and pushed a HUGE blob about the diameter of a penny and smoked it down. Before it fully hit me I pushed the rest of the patch out and finished it off. Now I was feeling good! Maybe a little too good. It was maybe 12:00 when I finished off and I put on some Southpark on my laptop. Shortly into the episode I started nodding off. When I would "come to" like it happens when you nod I noticed that I was not breathing. I forced myself to take a HUGE breath and continue breathing. Next thing I know I am "coming to" again and am gasping for air. This keeps going on and I have to focus on breathing to do it. I had temporarily lost the "automation" that normally happens for your breathing.

Things got worse. For the next hour I was puking more than I ever have on any substance. I was still having a great amount of trouble breathing and I prayed to God to save me and let me make it through the night. I then realized I have a lot of amphetamines that would counter effect the opiates. I popped 2 dexedrine only to immediately throw them up. I was desparate so I opened 2 other ones up and threw the beads to the back of my nose. It was not pleasant but I realized I HAD to do it to stay alive. I was nodding hard and was almost falling out of my chair. I could barely hear the south park and wanted to go to bed. I knew that I couldn't or I would die of respiratory failure. I had to stay awake. This is when K came back home around 1:30. He came in and started talking to me. Shortly after I had to puke again and excused myself to the bathroom telling him I did a bit too much fentanyl. I did not want to scare him so I made it sound like I was alright just really tired. He was in my room literally 2 minutes. After I came back from puking he was in his room and said he wanted to go to bed. So there I was in my room trying to stay awake feeling like I'm on deaths doorstep. I'm scared for my life and in my despiration I drop down and start doing pushups to get my heart beat up. After about 3 I just have no strength (usually can do 25-30) and collapse to the floor. I jump up scared I'll pass out and die right there on the floor. I sit in my chair and try to calm myself. Then the dexies started hitting. I have never felt so relieved! I was still horribly scared but I layed down on my bed. I lay awake until about 6am then felt that I could safely sleep and slept another 4 hours.

When I awoke I was a new man. My sister gave me a call asking if I could drive her back to the station and I took her. I was holding back tears on the drive and started to realize how much she loves me and I love her and how much we need each other. I usually tease her and poke fun but I was very kind to her on the drive and her to me. She had no idea what had happened the night before. I came back home and just broke down crying in my room. I called my mom later that night with whom I have a great relationship but doesn't know I use. None of my family does. Instead of telling her I almost died from drugs I told her I was almost in a "car accident". She helped me through that night and every other day of that week when I phoned her. Everything she said relating to the "car" I related to myself so it WAS very helpful. I had a new appreciation for life and was reminded of the "Saw" movie series where Jigsaw makes victims do horrible things to save themself. I understood now what it meant to have your life flash before your eyes and I was determined to live a fuller life and be better to my family. I have never been close with my sister and dad but now we are closer than we have ever been. They still don't know about my usage but I am much more responsible now. I don't come near those doses anymore and I use once a week at most. Besides you guys only two other people know what happened. It was a very upsetting experience but it was one of the most important and probably the best thing that ever happened to me. Since the incident I have tried to live my life to the fullest and am always there for my family, especially for my sister who is younger and is weak emotionally. I pray to God more often and thank him for all the blessings He has given me. I read my Bible everyday now (as opposed to every few days before when I felt like it) and am happier with my life. It definitely was the scariest thing that ever happened to me but without it I would not have as good a family life as I do now. They say what doesn't kill you makes your stronger and I understand that now.

Thanks for listening guys I really appreciate it. I wish everyone on Bluelight the best and hopefully you can learn from my story! Stay safe everyone.

OC80's

Wow, that sounds scary. I'm glad it turned out alright for you. Also, props for taking a horrible experience and making it a catalyst for a life affirming lesson. Being in denial about the seriousness of the situation would probably have been the easier road to take.

Did you ever consider calling an ambulance, or were you determined to ride it out even if it meant your life?

They still don't know about my usage but I am much more responsible now. I don't come near those doses anymore and I use once a week at most.

Do you still use fentanyl, or or you talking about other drugs here?

thanks for sharing,
be safe and have fun.

I thought about calling an ambulance but NO ONE knows (except for a few close friends) I use so I didn't want to have anyone know. I still use opiates, including fentanyl but am much more responsible.

Wow man i'm glad to hear you came out ok. I've kinda been there before. One time i was doing many many tabs/percs and thought it would be a good idea to snort a flexeril......wrong. The flexeril's effects went straight to my diaphragm and started messing with my breathing like I had the hiccups or something. It did this for over an hour and I had to focus on every stuttering breath. Obviously I never did that again. There's probably a couple other times I may have acutely overdosed but didn't even realize it because I was completely out of it. I don't do doses of anything like that anymore, or snort muscle relaxers lol.

Dude. wow. That's scary, glad you made it through. If that happens again to you or someone else, please call an ambulance. Stay safe!

It was a very upsetting experience but it was one of the most important and probably the best thing that ever happened to me. Since the incident I have tried to live my life to the fullest and am always there for my family, especially for my sister who is younger and is weak emotionally. I pray to God more often and thank him for all the blessings He has given me. I read my Bible everyday now (as opposed to every few days before when I felt like it) and am happier with my life. It definitely was the scariest thing that ever happened to me but without it I would not have as good a family life as I do now. They say what doesn't kill you makes your stronger and I understand that now.

I can't believe you're still using. Actually I can, because I overdosed before and later that day I used again.

Still, if it changed your life so much, why not just give up opiates?

Maybe because they are convincing you that you need them to be happy? Or you are convincing yourself that you need them to be happy?

Honestly I only use once a week at most. Its not a big deal to me to do a pill of oxy or half a patch fent or something. I compare it to having a beer or two after a hard days work. You drink it, enjoy it and thats it! I initially thought of giving them up the few days after the incident but realized I was being irrational and just needed to take it down a few notches. I have been MUCH safer since and will continue to be. I do appreciate all the concern though!

Thats not being irrational. What is somewhat irrational is comparing the use of fent. to having a beer. I don't think you necessarily need to stop using it but you certainly should get a different outlook as drinking a beer and smoking fent. are possibly the most opposite ends of drug use ever.

This story, while definitely much more serious and scary than what happened to me, reminds me of a time I overdid it on oxys. It was waaayyy back when i was first tryin them out, and so had little to no tolerance. I did an 80, maybe more, I can't remember.. all i remember is I was almost asleep when i gasped for breath and realized I was having trouble breathing. all I wanted to do was go to sleep, but I was scared if I did, I'd never wake up again. I laid in bed and concentrated on my breathing for at least an hour. At some point, I said "fuck these pills" and flushed the two I had left down the toilet. (years and a full-blown addiction later, I cannot believe I did this- I have literally flushed at least 12 80s down the toilet!!) anyways, fentanyl is definitely not a drug to mess with. I love it, but even people with a high opiate tolerance should be careful.

Harm Reduction seems to have a completely different meaning to people who use opiates.

My take on your story is that you risked dying rather than bringing in outside help to get you through an experience more serious than any other you'd encountered to that point. It sounds as though you were just in control enough to know you weren't going to end up dead. And my guess is there must be people who thought they were in the same place....but DID end up dead.

I don't take opiates, so I am short in the knowledge of what draws people to them. If you really are a young, fit and healthy guy with a bright future...make sure you get to live it. That's all. Reduce the risks to your future. There is nothing in the drug cabinet that can replace life.

Its not milligrams fellas, its micrograms. Fent,just like LSD, is measured in micrograms. It takes 1000mcgs to equal 1 milligram. 10 mgs of fentanyl would kill you(and a few of your buddies).

Last edited: