Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Feedback requested: "Emergency Room"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback.

Let me move this to Europe...you can follow the link if you want!

Europeans: Any special issues not covered already? Additional insights?

"Refrain from using slag, "....you slaag ;)

If it hasn't been mentioned already - if you do find yourself in a situation where you think a persons health is going to be seriously compromised do not hesitate to tell the medic/nurse/doctor (to the best of your knowledge) exactly what has been consumed and at what times...the timing of dosages, especially with poly-drug use, can help with treatment. NEVER think being discreet will help.

Nice FAQ. In Britain anyway, health care is free, as are our emergency services. When phoning for an ambulance, you're initially asked which service you require, then connected to them. They will ask for your name and phone number, they are very brusque and having had to ring them before whilst spannered, it can be quite distressing. Like you said every detail is important, especially what drugs they have taken, basically what and when, and what time the emergency happened. The operators will get an ambulance to you asap - there is not concept of 'prioritising' according to our ambulance control (allegedly), but i get the feeling if you say someone's not breathing the pm's will drive that little bit faster.

Also, A&E's (british ER's) will not call the police for a drug related admission, unless the person (or their friends) requires restraining for medical reasons or is violent. Please be aware that there will probably be police in the department however as there is normally a violent drunk whom they are babysitting (trust me i worked in A&E for over a year). Maybe a note to advise people that a hoard of spangled friends is not really very useful, and that only 1-2 people (preferably straight) should accompany them. The paranoia of sitting in an A&E waiting room whilst off your head is very messy (ask Proto!). A&E staff won't call the police on the patient or their friends just for being off their head.

On the fitting front, is a person has a seizure the rule should be call for the ambulance asap (sorry i know that rhymes, but i'm tired!). During a seizure the brain is starved of oxygen and all people who have experienced a seizure should be seen by a doctor very quickly, as if the seizure is not controlled or the causes investigated - NEVER assume it's the drugs, it probably is, but you never know. Most people don't know know their friends medical histories off by heart. One of the most horrible things i have ever seen is a person in status epilepticus - this basically means they won't stop fitting or re-seize as soon as they have finished the previous one. If the initial seizure was caused by heatstroke, for example, then there is the possibility of the person going into status if not properly treated. Then they are right royally fucked, excuse my french. And RandomBlondeBoy says about losing your licence - what fucking planet is he on? You ABSOLUTELY NEVER PUT SOMEONE'S LIFE IN DANGER BECAUSE OF THEIR DRIVING LICENCE - "i'm sorry Mrs Smith, your son died because he didn't receive medical attention soon enough, but at least he still has his driving licence". aaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhh, attitudes like rbb's are one of the reasons we see people die. And anyway, what's three months without your driving licence? As i said before no one can guarantee that it was the drugs or that it won't happen again. The rules are there to protect everyone, not to piss of some selfish people who feel driving a car is their god-given right.

Anyway Orlando, i worked in an A&E as i said, so any questions about the way we do things in britain please feel free.

And RandomBlondeBoy says about losing your licence - what fucking planet is he on?

A. Planet Australia where not having a driving licence is like being castrated.

But remember he is blond ;)

BT: I added a bit about body fluids and CPR.

C-22:
1. Added
2. Unless someone presents a compelling reason, I am not inclined to add this. Such deception would be time-wasting and probably futile.
3. Added.

temporary_nick: See end comments

phase_dancer: Thanks for the clarification re: legal consequences and duty of care.

tranquilo: [Not hesitating to be truthful] is covered. Does this need more emphasis?

nursey: Thanks for the input and the offer:)

Other stuff
Cost of ambulances: I checked several sources, some of which claim relatively low average costs (one NSW company claimed an average of $250) and some of which claim average costs more on par with what people have bee saying in this thread. If ambulance cost were to be mentioned, how does this sound: “The cost of an ambulance varies, although bills of $500 or more are not uncommon.”

Seizures/licences: Unless someone can provide the specific law that covers this topic, I am not inclined to include a mention of seizures leading to licence forfeiture. Even if someone were to provide such a citation, it seems that such a mention would not fall within the scope of this document.

I see the scope and purpose of this document to be as follows: to indicate to the user when they should seek professional emergency care and to give them some idea of what to expect in the initial stages of that care.

Yes, someone may suffer legal consequences, unpleasant medical treatment, embarrassment, and a hefty bill. Even so, they would most likely prefer to be alive rather than dead.

AFAIK the police will be called if you tell the 999 operator that it is drugs related... however, if you tell paramedics once they have arrived they are bound by doctor/patient confidentiality and won't call the police unless you're violent.

Of course, that could be an urban myth.

afcone said:
AFAIK the police will be called if you tell the 999 operator that it is drugs related...

No, if you ring for an ambulance that's all that will be sent, unless the operator suspects that there is a risk of violence to the crew (ie. they can hear screaming or arguing). Paramedics are bound by the same confidentiality code as medical staff. But like Orlando says, clear the area if you can, just in case
;)

nursey said:
Still, no reason to put other peoples lives at risk, i'm afraid.

I wholly agree.

Orlando Does this need more emphasis?

Well, I once had to go to A&E completely trolleyed with a head wound: despite all the blood all I could think about was what I was going to say to the doctor about my pills and powders that night. This was in the early nineties and e-casualites were more rare, so I was apprehensive. I told them, it did mean they took precautions administering pain-killers, they were really sympathetic and I ended up chatting to a very cute nurse for a while about the benefits of E; she was all for it if it meant fewer beer-related-injuries :)
Point is I guess it took me ages to figure out what to do and I was making the choice. If you are dealing with someones elses' health don't fuck about with being discreet...be open, honest and co-operative. And for teenagers (well, remembering my own egocentric, self-obsessed, reckless, daft-as-a-brush adolesence anyway :\) this needs to be in large upper-case bold letters.

Thanks for all the feedback so far....let me move this down the line to its last destination....Drug Basics! Feel free to follow the link and continue your comments!

tranquilo said:
I If you are dealing with someones elses' health don't fuck about with being discreet...be open, honest and co-operative. And for teenagers (well, remembering my own egocentric, self-obsessed, reckless, daft-as-a-brush adolesence anyway :\) this needs to be in large upper-case bold letters.

Thank you voice of reason =D I have been that nurse, looking after trashed people who say "i've only had a Red Bull" - it saves time and thus potentially lives if people are honest immediately. And also, as staff we need to know what people have taken, so we don't give anyone any contra-indicated treatments or medications. The honesty thing is all good! The only likelyhood is getting told off by a doctor and advised not to do it again. Develop a thick skin, or think - 'if this has landed me in hospital, maybe i need to reassess how much/what i'm doing' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.