• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

FAQ: Antidepressants and Recreational Drugs (long!)

I just wanted to give a warning about taking wellbutrin and dxm. They are metabolized by the same enzyme, so for me it feels like the dose is multiplied by a hundred or so. I am taking 300mg of wellbutrin daily and if I take the amount of DXM it says to on the bottle (30mg) I end up feeling mildly fucked up, a little more and things get out of hand for going about daily life. Anyways just be very careful with these two! The FAQ seems to say it is safe, but I can assure you it is not safe to take a recreational dose while on wellbutrin.

I don't think the Amphetamine+MAOI combination is that dangerous. I don't really take speed much anymore though, and quit my MAOIs, when I did take them, I disregarded BL's advice against it and I'm fine. I don't do it anymore just because I don't like them. I think a lot of the stuff here is exaggerated for safety reasons, but I agree with the message that they can be dangerous. The strength is similar to benedryl and an opiate together, in my experience at least.

Were you on a low dose of a reversible MAOI? Was your MAOI selective for MAOB? Regardless, your experience was quite atypical, and it would be reckless to follow in your footsteps.

ebola

fairnymph/negrokitty said:
Hallucinogens (LSD/Acid, psilocybin/Shrooms, Tryptamines – 2-ct-2,DPT, DMT etc, Salvia) Hallucinogens seem to be MUCH stronger in combination with mirtazapine, so please be VERY CAREFUL! A dangerous interaction with shrooms has been observed in one person taking mirtazapine. Please avoid hallucinogens while taking mirtazapine or dose very carefully.

I know that this is thread-necromancy, an that the author's no longer around to update the FAQ, but this point is incorrect. Mirtazapine antagonizes 5ht2a, and thus attenuates psychedelic activity (though only moderately so).

Tianeptine increases serotonin uptake thereby increases serotonin levels in the brain. How exactly this occurs is not known.

This information is somewhat outdated. Because tianeptine doesn't decrease intercellular serotonin to a significant degree, and because concurrent administration of an SSRI doesn't abolish tianeptine's anti-depressant activity, the compound's activity as an SSREncancer is likely mild and not clinically relevant. Tianeptine's other activities are not yet well understood.

ebola

so what about taking remeron or seroquel or amitriptyjine with valium? will the remeron/serowuel potentiate valium and the amitriptyline NOT potentiate?

Does anyone have any experience with clonidine? I just started a week ago and I want to know if I can roll while on it. I like the clonidine so far, I take it for anxiety and ADHD, but I know it lowers blood pressure, will this be an issue? I'm going to be very sad if I can't roll anymore.

Amazing truly helped me figure out on wether i should mix my ssri with ketamine. only bad thing is i have to take more then normal more money for me =(

Since there is very little information about Sulpiride's interactions with recreational drugs on the internet (I couldn't really find any reports when I looked), my cat asked me to help it share his experience with Sulpiride and recreational drugs (he can't type on his own). In fact I signed up especially to help him share this information. Obviously don't take this as hard facts, as it's only anecdotal evidence from a single individual.

Sulpiride and marijuana: no noticable difference in the effects of either drug
Sulpiride and psychedelics (LSD and DMT): unlike other antipsychotics, Sulpiride doesn't affect serotonin receptors. This led my cat to believe that it would probably not have the same effect on psychedelic drugs as SSRIs or other antipsychotics do. My cat can confirm this to be true. It is possible to trip just as hard while on Sulpiride.
Sulpiride and MDMA: untested, but probably works for the same reason as psychedelics.
Sulpiride and DXM: works. Unfortunately my cat can't comment on any difference in effects to taking just DXM as he hasn't taken DXM without Sulpiride.
Sulpiride and Salvia: works. Same as above applies.
Sulpiride and 2C-E: works. Also not tested without sulpiride so no information on difference in potency/effects.
Sulpiride and alcohol: appears to slightly increase the effects of the alcohol but it appears to be neglible.

You can find some trip reports including Sulpiride here: http://meatslog.tumblr.com/search/sulpiride (Please let me know if it's against the rules to link to my cat's 'blog')

Hope this helps someone. Sulpiride might be a good choice for people who want/need to treat their depression using meds, but don't want to sacrifice recreational drugs to do so.

Off topic: My cat originally was interested in taking Sulpiride for his depression because it seemed likely that it wouldn't affect psychedelics and ended up discovering that it worked significantly better than any other of the many SSRIs and antipsychotics he had taken over the years. The effects became noticeable within just 2-3 days instead of weeks and for my cat it does a much better job of reducing the symptoms of the depression. My cat doesn't understand why it's so rarely prescribed for depression. For him it was a godsend!

Last edited:
This thread is the Internet embodiment of Harm Reduction. Very thankful to have been linked this way.

excellent work.
Future topics would include info on mood stabalizers like lithium or depakote (yes, i know this two chemicals are unrelated).

I realize this is now a dead thread, but I'm hoping someone might have input on how bi-polar / anti-psychotic meds that don't fit into the original categories might interact with common illicits
(To be candid and selfish, I'm seeking info on these drugs interactions with MDMA)

I don't know about meds for bi-polar, but, as far as I'm aware, almost all anti-psychotics work by blocking dopamine and serotonin receptors. Since you need your serotonin receptors to roll (or to trip) it isn't possible to roll or trip while taking such meds. The SSRI class of drugs also blocks the effects of MDMA, so you can't roll while taking these meds either. The only anti-psychotic that I am aware of, that doesn't affect serotonin receptors, is Sulpiride (check the post above yours). It is definitely possible to trip while on Sulpiride and it should be possible to roll too. Please keep in mind that I'm not a doctor, so it might be a good idea to check with your doc before experimenting.

This thead is old but still serves a good purpose. However, since its inception, Healthy Living's guidelines have changed to not discuss this material.

Will give it a try in BDD and see what they think.

I know everyone advises against stopping anti depressants just to roll, but looking beyond that, if someone stopped taking an SNRI completely and took molly 12 days later would they be able to roll? and would it be safe?

thankyou so much for posting that. i'm a regular speed user and i was terrified that going on sertraline would mean i'd have to give up my favourite luxury!

I still abstain from Celexa, olanzapine (prescribed as a sleep aid along with temazepam) or any other psychoactive pharmaceutical I may be taking other than temazepam when planning a stim session. Who knows which one will crash a trip, never happened so far but knocking on wood.

It just feels like the SSRI's block that one essential channel that lets that energy flow through you, giving you the peaking feeling.

Ha! I knew there must have been some subconscious reason why I almost always forget to take my daily 20mg Celexa dose and never regret it. I believe I let my doctor prescribe this to me as the result of a philosophical disagreement between us over the definition of "depressed" as opposed to "tired".

Have a specific question for you .. Hoping you can reply in time .. My husband is on dulexitonine ( generic for cymbalta) he takes it for nerve issues and not depression issues. It was prescribed to him 4 years ago as off label use for fibromyalgia symptoms .still going through the nerve issues ( in his knee ) so hes still on it. We haven't rolled in 15 years or so but tried last year. It didn't work for him and we learned after that it was because of the dulexitonine . So we are away this week and trying again but in doing some research came across your faq. He takes 60 mg of dulexitonine once a day . How long does he need to be off for in order to effectively roll. He took it on Sunday morning at 6 am.. Will he be clear by 6 pm tomorrow evening? That will be 60 hours since he took it last. Should that be ok? Also any concerns or risks that you think may exist? Glad I found you. You may be the best way to an answer given the short timeframe :)
Hope you reply. Thanks much

hi, i have't read the thread, but i just want to say that RIMs (RIMA and RIMB) are the more safe alternative of maoi than IIMs (IIMB and IIMA), (maybe i'm making up some words here but bear with me), because they give less risk for serotonin syndrome and cheese effect from tyramine rich foods etc; so besides selegiline which is an irreversible mao-b inhibitor there is Atibeprone, a not widely known anti-depressant that is a reversible and much more selective mao-b inhibitor. can anyone shed light on this interesting chemical, regarding dosage, half life, experiences, drug interactions, where it is sold, if it's available on prescription, etc? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10027835 , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atibeprone

Last edited:
Hey new to the site but if you could shed some light it would be appreciated. In the section on SSRI/DXM interaction you mentioned the interaction is dangerous. How long would I have to wait after quitting 50mg sertraline cold turkey before i can safely take DXM without getting serotonin syndrome?