Extreme depression from marijuana withdrawal?

Seyer

Bluelight Crew
I have been smoking everyday for the past 10 months, except for 2 months in there due to a trip to Finland. I was diagnosed with depression in November 2008 and I was on Prozac 20mg daily and Wellbutrin 100mg daily for the depression and slight ADHD. I was taken off them both in May 2010 because I felt great, no mood swings, appetite increase, etc. All the signs of depression were gone. I was a previous drug user back in 2007 (heroin, weed, LSD, ketamine, mescaline, you name it). I stopped using all drugs except for weed and alcohol, and those 2 were just rarely used, for a little more than 2 years. I started smoking again January 2010 because I wanted to go back to it. Started rolling in February 2010, no dimished effects from the Prozac and Wellbutrin. Monday was my last day smoking (I quit due to upcoming drug tests because Im looking for a job). Thats the background.

Today I woke up feeling completely unmotivated towards looking for a job, been having mood swings all day, no appetite, some self pity, and feelings of hopelessness.

Anyone know if this can result from quitting marijuana use, or is this something deeper and psychological within me. I know depression can have a "relapse" of sorts and Im definately considering seeing a psychiatrist again

In general, retail and sales. Im trying to find something where I can interact with new people. Also, I know that social interaction is a big help to coming out of depression. But now I feel completely unmotivated and want to just forget it all happened

retail and sales don't drug test, its usually like government jobs, if cannabis is helping with your depression why stop it unless you really have to? you also live in socall, you can get a medical lisence, and if they drug test you tell them your a medical patient,

this is what i would do, cannabis can be used medically for depression in some people, seems like it was helping you, and now your stoping,

So how long has it been total since youve quit? A month will usually make this go away as long as you life situation changes also. Get active, do things. Dwelling on how life sucks without weed helps nothing so dont do it. Learn new shit, meet new people. Make yourself go and do ANYTHING. One month and i swear u should be good.

Ive already applied to a few places and during the application process they say that they drug test before finalizing the hiring process. That was a few places but Im not positive about other places that Im looking into. If the depression continues then Im definately looking towards getting my medical card, even though I already planned on getting it. Now this just adds to my list of reasons why I should get it

You said you started rolling again...as in using MDMA? I'm sure you know that some people are susceptible to depression after MDMA use.

IMO its not a good idea to use MDMA if you have a depression diagnosis, neither is alcohol. Stick with weed.

I've been treated for depression myself and took prozac for about 8 years as well as numerous other cocktails of drugs. But the most effective treatment I've found was something called TMS, transcranial magnetic stimulation. It's FDA approved and has numerous studies that demonstrate it's efficacy over placebo. It's expensive, but it's side effect free. Something to consider.

Oh and I've been an off an on daily pot smoker for years and never had any depression from stopping. Other than the usual, "damn I want to get high but can't right now" kind.

You know there are some people who belive in cannabis deficiency:

If the idea of having a marijuana deficiency sounds laughable to you, a growing body of science points at exactly such a possibility. Scientists have known that the active psychoactive compound in marijuana is THC, which is short for tetrahydrocannabinol.

In August 1990, researchers reported in the journal Nature the discovery of receptors in the brain that specifically accommodate the cannabinoids in pot. Cannabinoids bind to particular neurological sites in the brain, as though the brain was specifically designed to utilize this plant. Did nature toss cannabinoid receptors into the brain by random chance? Are cannabinoid receptors part of an intelligent design for deriving maximum benefit from cannabis? Is cannabis a divine elixir of sacred communion for which we are ideally suited? Actually, a more sober answer seems likely. When there are receptors in the brain for a particular type of compound, that compound is made in the brain. This is true of many important agents that work to transmit brain messages of all types. So a hunt began to find such a compound.

In that vein, in 1992 researchers in Israel isolated the cannabinoid anandamide in the human brain. Unlike THC, anandamide is manufactured in the brain, and is therefore an endogenous cannabinoid. This agent, anandamide, is the compound that attaches to the built-in cannabinoid receptors in our brains. The name anandamide is based on the Sanskrit word ananda, which means bliss. Anandamide is a bliss molcule, enhancing greater well being and emotional satisfaction.

Ever since the pioneering work of Dr. William O’Shaughnessy on cannabis and pain compiled in the 1840’s a growing body of science has shown that cannabis offers relief for various types of pain. In the brain, the endogenous agent anandamide also plays a role in mitigating inflammation and pain. So both cannabinoids from inside and outside the body play a role in pain reduction. More recent studies show pain relief among sufferers of multiple sclerosis when cannabis is consumed.

Anandamide also plays a role in proper appetite, feelings of pleasure and well-being, and memory. Interestingly, cannabis also affects these same functions. Cannabis has been used successfully to treat migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and glaucoma. So here is the seventy-four thousand dollar question. Does cannabis simply relieve these diseases to varying degrees, or is cannabis actually a medical replacement in cases of deficient anandamide?

At least one author, medical doctor Ethan Russo, believes in the possibility of endocanabinoid deficiency, and suggests that such a deficiency might actually be a significant cause of the types of health problems listed above. His paper “Clinical Cannabinoid Deficiency,” published in Neuroendocrinology Letters in 2004, delved deeply into the various ways that cannabinoids function in the body, and how a deficiency in cannabinoids can lead to a broad range of diseases. Since the publication of that paper, a number of studies have further confirmed the effectiveness of cannabis for many health disorders.

The idea of clinical cannabinoid deficiency opens the door to cannabis consumption as an effective medical approach to relief of various types of pain, restoration of appetite in cases in which appetite is compromised, improved visual health in cases of glaucoma, and improved sense of well being among patients suffering from a broad variety of mood disorders. As state and local laws mutate and change in favor of greater tolerance, perhaps cannabis will find it’s proper place in the home medicine chest.

Chris Kilham is a medicine hunter who researches natural remedies all over the world, from the Amazon to Siberia. He teaches ethnobotany courses at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he is Explorer In Residence. Chris advises herbal, cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies and is a regular guest on radio and TV programs worldwide. His field research is largely sponsored by Naturex of Avignon, France. Read more at www.MedicineHunter.com

I wonder. What plants affect the production of Anandimide?

Hey OP, I think this thread is more suitable to The Dark Side than Cannabis Discussion...what do you think about me sending it over there? I can leave it here for a little while since you actually seem to be getting some really good responses.

So how long has it been total since youve quit? A month will usually make this go away as long as you life situation changes also. Get active, do things. Dwelling on how life sucks without weed helps nothing so dont do it. Learn new shit, meet new people. Make yourself go and do ANYTHING. One month and i swear u should be good.

My last time smoking was on monday evening, a blunt so I ended my smoking days stoned out of my mind. The lack of motivation is holding me back, but Im trying my best to get hired somewhere. That will help with learning and meeting new people. It will certainly keep me busy

You said you started rolling again...as in using MDMA? I'm sure you know that some people are susceptible to depression after MDMA use.

IMO its not a good idea to use MDMA if you have a depression diagnosis, neither is alcohol. Stick with weed.

I've been treated for depression myself and took prozac for about 8 years as well as numerous other cocktails of drugs. But the most effective treatment I've found was something called TMS, transcranial magnetic stimulation. It's FDA approved and has numerous studies that demonstrate it's efficacy over placebo. It's expensive, but it's side effect free. Something to consider.

Oh and I've been an off an on daily pot smoker for years and never had any depression from stopping. Other than the usual, "damn I want to get high but can't right now" kind.

I did abuse MDMA for a little while before I learned of the true damage it can do. The 2 months of no weed was 2 months of no MDMA as well, so that gave me a good break. I now know how to respect MDMA but Ive never felt any depression after my use. Whenever I would roll I would feel perfectly fine the next day. Dont know how but I know for sure weed helped me while I was coming down off the pills.

Hey OP, I think this thread is more suitable to The Dark Side than Cannabis Discussion...what do you think about me sending it over there? I can leave it here for a little while since you actually seem to be getting some really good responses.

No problem. Go ahead if you feel its more suitable there.

Thanks everyone for the good responses so far. Definately eased my mind a bit

Endogenous anandamide is present at very low levels and has a very short half-life due to the action of the enzyme fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH), which breaks it down into free arachidonic acid and ethanolamine.

Paracetamol (or acetaminophen in the U.S.A.) is metabolically combined with arachidonic acid by FAAH to form AM404. This metabolite of paracetamol is a potent agonist at the TRPV1 vanilloid receptor, a weak agonist at both CB1 and CB2 receptors, and an inhibitor of anandamide reuptake. As a result, anandamide levels in the body and brain are elevated. In this fashion, paracetamol acts as a pro-drug for a cannabimimetic metabolite. This action may be partially or fully responsible for the analgesic effects of paracetamol.

so the chemical AM404...right??

Hey OP, what you’re feeling is something I can relate to quite well. I can't say I was ever diagnosed with clinical depression or anything for that matter. Although I had recently been experiencing something very close to what you described. I have been a regular pot smoker for years at this point; while I guess I am quite young still (21). I'd hate to do this but for my story to have any resonance it must been quite long. (Ill have a TLDR at the bottom)

I discovered pot at a very very early age, I think the first time I was high was when I was 12, and it was from simply being in the same room as a older relative who was smoking (No idea how much so long ago). I immediately liked it, although it would be another 2 years before I took my first hit. It was nothing serious like most kids, maybe during the weekend or after school someone would have scored a bowl, or a dime bag, maybe even a dub. Until I had a job (at 16) I never purchased weed myself.
I wouldn't consider smoking weed a problem then or now. I deem it quite a wonderful plant, and a very relaxing high, hell I swear I can function better when I can smoke.
Aside from that lets skip a bunch of boring shit and get to me being 18, done with school, my parents were quite poor, as a result so was I. I had quite a few jobs from 16-18, made who knows how much money anymore (much of it went to rent and food, whatever I didn't need went to weed).
I was broke ($) out of school, college wasn't even feasible. Got a new job in a noname grocery store was a meat cutter. Wasn't what I had wanted to do, or planned, but it was simple, and my size made the manual labor quite easy (I am around 6'10, 250lbs).
It turned out being a meat cutter paid quite well with exp. I had alot of money, and not a clue what to do about it. I could afford bags anytime and was quite happy with it. This is when I learned how simple it was to obtain an OZ; it was quite possibly the greatest discovery of my pot smoking career.
When I first started smoking Id maybe smoke 1-2 bowls a day after work, maybe 2-3 on a day off. My job had random UA's, so I did take it easy for quite a while, and managed to dodge the first, and after that I would simply take breaks so would piss clean then hop back on the band wagon.
Fast forward a few months, I started dealing, ontop of having a job, obtaining 5-6 OZ's a month hustling what I didn't smoke (Not a whole lot but, for me it was alot). This lead to more smoking then I was use to, mainly due to customers wanting to smoke me out, or match.
Around this time I started to care less and less about my job, and was just falling in love with my current lifestyle. On a side note I picked up smoking cigs from my job, was really close to a pack a day at one point, have recently slowed down. I only mention this because for anyone who smokes weed and cigs, they tend to just go hand in hand. I can't seem to smoke a bowl without a cig after, it just doesn't feel right.
For about 9-10 months my employer must have gotten lazy with the UA's or I was a lucky sob, didn't run into any sort of hurdle job wise, so during those 9-10 months I convinced my self a 30-40$ a day habit was quite fine(I know someone out there pshawed at that number). I don't know when I passed the point where I was high more then I was sober.
I started dealing more and more on the side when I wasn't working, and it went on from there. While this was all going on I was still living with my Mom, I was helping (at one point covering) rent, and she was quite fine with me smoking weed. My mom was Alcoholic, and I don't mean she would get shitfaced every other night, it’s more like she would be shitfaced 70% of the time, and just drunk the rest, I also learned she had a serious problem with painkillers.
When I was 20, I had 2 years of job exp, was making a decent paycheck, and most of that check I would turn into weed, and turn that back into cash and it was all working out quite well. I felt quite satisfied with myself that at least was until my Mom died.
Honestly most of my life I distanced myself from my family, and my mom. I found Alcoholism disgusting, and a part of my disliked my mom, and I hated her boyfriend. So I wouldn't be home much at all, when I was I didn't quite feel at home. When I was younger (who knows maybe 10-15) there were countless nights where I had to attempt to sleep while 2 inebriates shouted at the top of their lungs at each other.
It made for an unhealthy relationship with my family, so instead I had lots of close friends, and I had plenty of weed, I had a job where out of some miracle everyone liked me, even my boss.
Anyway after my Mom passed away something changed inside me, at least it felt that way. I was bombarded by a crushing wave of emotion and frustration and anger. The only response I had was to get high, and suddenly I was my old self, I could cope with what happened quite well, at least I thought. It still shook me quite a bit, I stopped dealing for a while; I simply had no interest in it at the time. Focused on work to try to keep my mind at ease.
Everything went smoothly for Id say two weeks; I was working, smoking, and overall in good spirits. Then one day I get pulled aside from work, not entirely sure about what, at least until I saw the guy my employer brings in for UA's. At this point I was just quite fucked, when I made the change to heavy smoker I started carrying some fake piss so I could make it through these UA's, sadly after I lost my Mom bringing my fake piss to work was the last thing on my mind. So I was fired.

**** For the Lazy start reading here ****

So now we are close enough to the present, and where I was relating to the OP. I now have been clean for quite a while simply because I am broke. After my Mom died (going to have to scroll up) there were quite a few bills to tend to. I had to find somewhere else to live (with a family friend), and have been unemployed for a few months. For a while after the first few days of not being high the effects were far worse than I had imagined, I did some light research before I started smoking weed regularly, and was convinced there weren't any long-term risks with weed, and I wouldn't suffer from serious withdrawals.
Yet for some reason, I felt terrible. I couldn't get up in the morning, just no motivation. I had no appetite for hours after Id wake, I would go maybe 8 before I could stomach food. It was hard to get happy about things I would normally enjoy alot. But just about the worst was the insomnia, laying in bed for 5 hours, dead tired, unable to get a bit of sleep, the entire time my mind would be racing thinking about all thats happened, and with whatever I did it came with a overwhelming sense of hopelessness. I really wanted to find a job right after I lost my last one, but I just felt unable to do anything. This went on for about two weeks, I at this point called up people I use to hang out with, just to smoke maybe a bowl, I figured it would help, and I would be lying if I said it didn't. It just wasn't the kind of help I needed, I still felt terrible when I came down the next day. It just lead to me calling up even more people. That went on for maybe 2 1/2 weeks. I eventually caught myself though, and managed to stop by simply deleting 95% of the phone numbers on my cell.
I’m not sure what was depression, and what was simply my extreme desire to get high, but I find it very unlikely that the two weren't connected in some way, maybe weed just became a crutch for the depression at one point, and without the high I could feel it.
Anyway, OP after a month and a half of being clean, I started to feel like my old self again, I don't think I’ll quite be the same person I was, but this is most likely the longest I have gone without smoking weed since I was 17. I am currently more focused on employment, but have considered smoking on the weekends, or if I find a job without drug testing, moving up to a bowl aday.
I wouldn't blame any of my problems on weed, honestly if I had more self-control I would still have a job, and most likely have a healthier self esteem. OP Id give it some time, and try not to get too down on yourself, but if you don't see any serious improvement in your mood. I would see a professional. I had considered it, but things like that are hard to do when broke.

I realize now I created a wall of text that would bore just about anyone to death, but I am sure someone will read at least the last few paragraphs.
EDIT: On a side note, I feel a little better sharing all this, it did take forever to type though.

Lots of good replies in here, but I'm gonna now move this over to TDS where I'm sure you'll get even more. TDS mods, if you disagree feel free to send it on back.

--> TDS

I find that smoking (and i don't claim to smoke nearly as much as anyone else here) gives me a sense of wonder at things that are around me.
when i stop for a day or a week i find that i become disillusioned with the world and start to feel overwhelmed by a sense of futility in myself and in anything that i would otherwise find beautiful.
The most effective resolution for me is music and food. Having a period of time to listen to depressing music and wallow, followed by the general sense of well-being the human brain experiences after eating is a nice conclusion to the journey, although obviously only a temporary solution.
Another hit and i'm full of inspiration, zest and motivation.

i dont think cannabis would cause extreme depression in WD.......

it could worsen depression tho, making it extreme....