• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Explaination for psychedelic time dilation?

theWorldWithin

Bluelighter
Explanation for psychedelic time dilation?

Can someone explain why users of psychedelics and dissassociatives experience time dilation which at least *seems* to be entirely real.

For example one might hear a section of music slow to almost nothing and the rest of the song will play in sequence once the dilation period passes, without skipping over any section before returning to normal pace. The above example seems to be a very common occurence with users of nitrous.

Can anyone offer up any scientific explanation, literature preferably, or simply personal theories on this phenomenon? I am asking in a general sense and not specifically to one compound but used the above example because its a simple illustration of time dilation. I am interested in any comments or even experience reports concerning extreme time dilation that users perceived as real perceptual alteration and not simply a pure hallucination.

Last edited:
Time is relative to the observer

Think of time as a 6th sense, and just like the other 5, psyches fuck that one up too

When you have a dream, someone watching that dream happen via a MRI or something of the like will see brain activity
for only a few moments, while for you that dream can take you through days.

Last edited:
I believe they experience them to be real because they are. In the sense that we can only define reality to be what we experience, we have no way of measuring, what we can only assume to an existing, objective reality.

Who's to say that I don't experience - hear, see, feel - eveything at half the speed you're experiencing it with, or vice versa?

theWorldWithin said:
I am interested in any comments or even experience reports concerning extreme time dilation that users perceived as real perceptual alteration and not simply a pure hallucination.
I'm interested in what you feel to be the difference between these two types of experiences; a perceived alteration in reality and a hallucination. Aren't they the same?

Last edited:
Time is completely relative. In fact, as we age, we tend to start to experience time faster and faster, whereas when we're tiny children, a week seems like absolutely forever. Hell, an hour to get through class had me banging my head on the desk. It's all about how you're currently perceiving it.

So if someone "thinks" time is going slower, in their eyes, it will? When I was a small child, time seemed to go by so slowly. As I am now, life seems to go by too fast. Sadly, as fast as it seems to go, I'll be 50 in no time :( Death is such a depressing topic for me :(

redeemer said:
I'm interested in what you feel to be the difference between these two types of experiences; a perceived alteration in reality and a hallucination. Aren't they the same?

Maybe I am not using the correct semantics but there is a very clear cut difference. A perceptual alteration would be walls breathing, patterns swirling, shifting color shades. Things which exist in sober perception are distorted and exagerated. True hallucinations are things that have no real basis in sober reality, entity contact, shadow people, CEV's of fractals, etc...

Then there is always the textbook definition of hallucination where a user percieves phenomenon with no basis in reality yet is unaware that the experience is not happening in reality. For example true schizophrenic hallucinations where the sufferer believes that voices or imaginary friends are real, or when a users experiences this and forgets that he or she had ingested a drug that caused the phenomenon.

The only thing that I am unclear about with the time question is that many users report a normal thought or physical process speed while time is dilating to almost no passage. If the perception of time slowing was in correspondence to reality then how would a user not experience severely slowed cognition or bodily controll? Surely a tripers mind and body is not outside the effects of time as a dimension. To me it seems that this cannot be a true realization of time at a slower rate but a perceptual distortion of it.

^exactly^

because the tripper thinks time is moving slowly, when it is actually moving at its normal pace for the velocity he is traveling. Thats why is thoughts are un impaired. ( He thinks at normal speed)

theWorldWithin said:
Maybe I am not using the correct semantics but there is a very clear cut difference. A perceptual alteration would be walls breathing, patterns swirling, shifting color shades. Things which exist in sober perception are distorted and exagerated. True hallucinations are things that have no real basis in sober reality, entity contact, shadow people, CEV's of fractals, etc...

Then there is always the textbook definition of hallucination where a user percieves phenomenon with no basis in reality yet is unaware that the experience is not happening in reality. For example true schizophrenic hallucinations where the sufferer believes that voices or imaginary friends are real, or when a users experiences this and forgets that he or she had ingested a drug that caused the phenomenon.

The only thing that I am unclear about with the time question is that many users report a normal thought or physical process speed while time is dilating to almost no passage. If the perception of time slowing was in correspondence to reality then how would a user not experience severely slowed cognition or bodily controll? Surely a tripers mind and body is not outside the effects of time as a dimension. To me it seems that this cannot be a true realization of time at a slower rate but a perceptual distortion of it.

First off, I think your trying to create your own definitions for things. The textbook definition is what we go by, and therefore the things that you call perceptual distortions, such as walls breathing and patterns and colors abound, are indeed hallucinations. I would agree though that things such as time dialation are perceptual distortions.

Secondly, in reference to your question about normal movement speed and such while time is dialated, it must be noted that time doesnt actually slow down, you still move at the same speed, and see yourself move at the same speed (unless you are hallucinating). Time dialation is a resualt of the clock in your head being off, and yes your brain does have a special part of it that works as a clock. (Ever notice how you can tell yourself to wake up at say, 7:30 the next day, and usually will be awaken within a few minutes of that time) If you were to trip without looking at any clocks or out any windows, then time dialation would not occur.
Its like having a stop watch that ticks twice as fast as a regular clock. You take that stopwatch and turn it on while you go outside for your 10 minute walk. When you get back home you see you have only been gone for a 5 minutes upon looking at the regular clock on the wall. Its the same as that except that messed up stopwatch is your tripping brains clock.

Edit: http://unisci.com/stories/20011/0227013.htm
Here is some info about your brain and its time perception.

Quageschi thanks very much for the input. However I think you missed exactly what I was refering to in the example. I am not describing 5 minutes seeming like ten, I was referring to those instances when everything around the users screeches to a halt. Sounds moving at 150 bmp sound like they are moving at about 15. Tree leaves wave in the wind at a fraction of their normal speed, so slow it seems physically impossible. Extreme stuff, not just losing track of time but when all of one's physical senses perceive outside stimuli as occurring at a fraction of normal speed.

As far as perceptual distortion and hallucinations there is a very clear difference that most users of psychedelics recognize. This difference is what seperates a + from a ++ or +++ experience (in addition to though loops, time distortion etc). Its absolutely normal for exerted athletes to see objects breath and other subtle distortions but it definitely not normally considered a full blown hallucination, but I am getting off topic here.

When travelling, most people agree that they find the way back home shorter (in terms of time) than the way to the destination.

The most common explanation of this is that when you're going somewhere new, there is a lot of anticipation, plus a lot of details seen on the way whicb are unfamilliar. This makes time seem longer. On the way back, you are travelling a familliar route, and your destination is known. So there isn't much anticipation or notice to detail, so subjectively it seems like time had passed quicker.

Since psychedellics can show a lot of detail and usually have a sense of mystery, the effects IMO is the same as the one described above.

Especially if your having a bad experience, you start to notice every little nuance of the experience. Time is almost at a stand still because you want it to end so bad, it just seems like the end will never come

theWorldWithin said:
when all of one's physical senses perceive outside stimuli as occurring at a fraction of normal speed.

I think you answer your own question with that statement, psyches fuck up all your perceptions. You have to remember the mental state that you are in when this happens, you are retarted (in relation to a sober mind). Your minds clock speeds up and everything else slows down

Also the defintion of a hallucination is seeing/hearing/smelling/feeling/tasting something that doesnt exist in reality, regardless of how minor it is. It seems you are saying that light hallucinations are perceptual distortions, while full blown hallucinations are hallucinations.
Seeing the wood grain on your table move up and down after you ran a 5 mile race is indeed a hallucination.
The reason Im attacking your use of perceptual distortion is simply because i have never heard it used before to describe any sort of hallucination, nor have i been able to find anything that does define it as what you say it is. However in the same sense i guess you could say that a hallucination is a perceptual distorion becuase vision is a personal perception and a hallucination can be a distortion.

So basically what I gather is that no one can answer this question from a scientific point of view right now. Obviously it is a perceptual distortion because the user is on a drug, that is hardly ADD material. What I am looking for is an objective answer as to why this happens.

I think this is a field that really begs for more research if it has not been conducted already.

Quageschi, by your definition "Also the definition of a hallucination is seeing/hearing/smelling/feeling/tasting something that doesnt exist in reality, regardless of how minor it is." a breathing wall is not a hallucination, all you are seeing is a wall experience geometric distortion, nothing that does not exist (IE it is a wall, nothing more). I am not really sure why you are being so argumentative about this especially after I elaborated with examples which seemingly every other poster understood. And show me a runner who says he is hallucinating after a 20K just because some pavement shifts or a woodgrain swirls, its a weak example to claim as a full blown hallucination. But whatever, I am done arguing this, it is just taking the point of the post way off topic.

hal·lu·ci·na·tion - noun - 1 a : perception of objects with no reality usually arising from disorder of the nervous system or in response to drugs (as LSD)
-http://www.webster.com/
swirling wood grain doesnt exist in reality, making it a hallucination.
Im not trying to be argumentative, so please dont take it that way, its just that you are using your own made up definition for things. The phrase "perceptual distortion" doesnt describe a light hallucination, and isnt a scientific term used to describe anything. If you can show me that it does, then by all means do so, as i would like to be corrected.
edit2: I corrected myself
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/perceptual_distortion.htm
it seems they are both the same thing; percieving something in a way that it isnt in reality.

edit: I found the study i had been looking for before, i hope it helps you out
http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2006/05/frontiers_of_time_pe.html
http://nba.uth.tmc.edu/resources/faculty/members/eagleman.htm

Last edited:
theWorldWithin said:
So basically what I gather is that no one can answer this question from a scientific point of view right now. Obviously it is a perceptual distortion because the user is on a drug, that is hardly ADD material. What I am looking for is an objective answer as to why this happens.

I think this is a field that really begs for more research if it has not been conducted already.

We are a long way of explaining how one perceives the passage of time, full stop. Subjective phenomenology of time is a question that has puzzled philosophers and (now) cognitive scientists for a long, long time.
Sorry this isn't very helpful! Try researching around on the "perception of time" and "phenomenology of time". You won't find any consensus view.

time perception

This question goes back thousands of years, and is a lot more complex than it first appears
In short science doesn’t know how the passage of time, in the seconds to hour area, is perceived. There are some tantalising clues and parts of the picture but so far no one has put all the pieces together. I have often thought about this question but I haven’t looked at the literature for years, (it feels like just yesterday :) ). I used to think the ultimate smart drug would be one that slowed time perception. This unfortunately is an illusion, the number of ideas and thoughts would still be the same but they would stay longer and be less fleeting. It could also be the ultimate hell, imagine being stuck in traffic or at a dull meeting and time perception slowing so every second seemed to take hours to pass.

I’m going to avoid the earlier philosophical debate not because it’s not of value more because it is complex metaphysics: I think therefore I am etc and I don’t think I could understand it enough to summarize it succinctly. It is relevant because it explores the ideas of external event time and internal perceived time or brain time which is important for a scientific understanding of time perception…. …

The important unknown area is how we perceive time, from about 1 second intervals to a few hours.
In the early scientific work it was assumed that the brain had an internal clock, neuronal circuitry which provided a reference signal, which the rest of the brain could use. This stemmed from the finding that in patients with fevers, and thyroid disorders, which increase the metabolic rate appeared to over estimate the passage of external time. Time for them appeared to slow down. The theory being that the internal clock would be speeded up and then the reference signals, ticks of the clock, would be created more often. If the brain then used these ticks as a reference it would then overestimate the duration of external events. This idea of an internal clock was developed further with the discovery that there was a correlation between dopamine levels and the perception of time; it then seemed obvious that dopamine was the key. This fitted with most of the known facts drugs like haloperidol and the major tranquilizers that reduce dopamine levels appear to speed up the perception of time, those that increase dopamine levels like methamphetamine appear to slow brain time. The areas of the brain that were associated with time perception at the time were also known to be rich in dopamine. Eureka problem solved. There does seem to be a case for a clock type oscillator in the brain, some papers have even estimated its frequency as 40 -49 Hz which does stretch the available evidence somewhat.
FMRI has identified areas of the brain associated with time perception, maybe there is a clock although how it works and whether the brain uses something else as well who knows? It would appear that the clock is more of a subconscious device; if it was consciously accessible and accurate then why do people count seconds using 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi or 1 banana 2 banana?
Research has appeared and has kept appearing that undermined this hypothesis or confused things.
For example administration of general dopamine ‘antagonist’ alpha methyl tyrosine reduced the dopamine concentrations but didn’t effect time perception in human subjects.
Neuropsychobiology. 1992;26(1-2):71-80. So possibly dopamine isn’t the key after all?
More recent work has concentrated on D2 agonists and antagonists. Which do appear to effect time perception, in the expected way, other drugs such as scopolamine effect time perception and these drugs do not directly effect dopaminergic systems.

How psychedelics effect time perception is also not known. They don’t alter dopamine directly. There is also good evidence that 5ht2a receptor stimulation (and therefore indirectly dopamine release) in the clock area (basal ganglia) of the brain is not the mechanism. So they probably act on the clock watching level rather than changing the speed of the clock.

5-HT2 receptor stimulation alters temporal differentiation in free-operant timing schedules. The anatomical location of the receptor population responsible for this effect is unknown. We examined the effect of a 5-HT2 receptor agonist and antagonists, injected systemically and into the dorsal striatum, a region that is believed to play a major role in interval timing. Rats were trained under the free-operant psychophysical procedure to press levers A and B in 50s trials in which reinforcement was provided intermittently for responding on A in the first half, and B in the second half of the trial. Percent responding on B (%B) was recorded in successive 5s epochs of the trials; logistic functions were fitted to the data from each rat to derive timing indices (T50: time corresponding to %B = 50; Weber fraction: [T75-T25]/2T50, where T75 and T25 are the times corresponding to %B = 75 and %B = 25). Systemic treatment with the 5-HT(2A/2C) receptor agonist 2,5,-dimethoxy-4-iodo-amphetamine (DOI) (0.25 mg/kg, s.c.) reduced T50; the 5-HT2A receptor antagonist MDL-100907 (0.5 mg/kg, i.p.) did not affect performance, but completely blocked the effect of DOI. DOI (1 and 3 microg) injected bilaterally into the dorsal striatum did not alter T50. The effect of systemic treatment with DOI (0.25 mg/kg, s.c.) was not altered by intra-striatal injection of MDL-100907 (0.3 microg) or the 5-HT2C receptor antagonist RS-102221 (0.15 microg). The ability of systemically administered MDL-100907 to reverse DOI's effect on T50 confirms the sensitivity of temporal differentiation to 5-HT2A receptor stimulation. The failure of intra-striatal MDL-100907 to antagonize the effects of DOI suggests that 5-HT2A receptors in the dorsal striatum are unlikely to be primarily responsible for DOI's effects on timing. Furthermore, the results provide no evidence for a role of striatal 5-HT2C receptors in DOI's effect on timing.
Behav Processes. 2006 Feb 28;71(2-3):258-67

So if they don’t alter the clock speed how do they do it? My instinct is that it is a consequence of they way they change the novelty detection systems in the brain. Under the influence of psychedelics many more things are recognized as novel, everyday things that would be normally be ignored and forgotten catch the attention. Therefore a lot more novel events occur per hour on psychedelics. These novel events are used as markers by the brain, they are stored in the memory and when the brain wants to estimate the duration of an external event it looks at how many novel or interesting events occurred.
This wouldn’t require an internal clock as a reference, but it might use it as well.
This novelty marker idea fits with the idea of time speeding up as one ages, there are less and less novel things as time goes on, so there are less novel markers left in the memory.

Its quite interesting to estimate time whilst under the influence of a low dose, set an alarm for 10 seconds and whilst under the influence train yourself to estimate guess when the alarm will go off, the first 5 times or so you’re early then after 5 times or so you are spot on. I have tried this with various hairless test monkeys and it seems to be a real effect. So you can retrain to take account of the time perception effects, which would imply it is at the conscious level.
There is loads of ongoing research in this area. The trouble is the more we know the less we understand.

its great not having anything on at work I've been looking into time perception all day and getting paid :)
still don't have the answer unfortunately

Quageschi the second study in particular was very interesting, thanks for the link.

Vecktor, that was ridiculous and awsome, so much great info in that post. The theory you purpose in interesting but I am not sure something so complex as time perception can be narrowed down to novel events. I would agree that they play a part in it, however I am unsure how significant they may be. It would be interesting to see more done with the theory because it seems to have at least one piece of the puzzle.

vecktor said:
In the early scientific work it was assumed that the brain had an internal clock, neuronal circuitry which provided a reference signal, which the rest of the brain could use.

Good post vektor, nice summation. I was under the impression that the above idea had taken a bit of a beating in the last few years - can't dredge up anything to support that now.

It's unfortunately difficult to get into discussions of time and it's perception because it's so close to basic metaphysics that you are very quickly led back to those big "but why?" questions.

I think a distinction is due between the "internal clock" and subjective passage of time. The human brain (like many other species') seems to have incredibly accurate timekeeping capacity, probably arising from the need to regulate biological rhytms and circadian behavioural variations. Unfortunately, it seems that it is not directly accessible to the conscious mind. I have periods when I get up seconds before the alarm clock rings, not necessarily being my usual waking time, also quite often I set the microwave oven to a particular timing and arrive to check on it the exact second when it beeps. In both instances however, I have no distinct impression that the time is up, I just feel the urge to check up on the time and the ring comes as a surprise just as I check it.

This timer, which is used in tasks that demand precision in relation to objective time, performs without being influenced by the variations in activity or subjective time. It tells you when to get up in the morning no matter whether you've had a full day or you whizzed away the time; whether you are stuck in a traffic block where time just melts, or doing something captivating that makes the time fly by, you don't get the impression of other cars moving slower or people around you moving at incredible speed, you just have an innate feeling that time is elapsing slower or faster.

This subjective perception of time, however, seems to be purely relativistic, depending only the number of "events" happening in the cognitive space. When you're totally focused on one thing, time flies by; when you are distracted or stressed and your mind races from one thought to the other, more "events" happen per unit of objective time and thus it "slows down". That would also explain the dream epics which can be contained in a few seconds' worth of dreaming.

Dreams, some chemically induced states of mind and fight or flight situations are just extreme examples of frantic mental activity and relative slowing down of "objective" reality. These same changes occur at a smaller scale in a typical day. When listening to your favorite song in the subway to classes, you're there before you know it. And as soon as the class begins and you have to take in a large number of complicated (and novel) ideas, the class can seem like a neverending ordeal.

Dissociative time dilation, as the one described above where the external world itself seems accelerated, may be a genuine disturbance of the internal clock, or its perception.

It would be interesting however if one could consciously harness the internal clock. Telling people the exact time without having a watch could earn you a nickname. It would also be pretty useful, not to mention damn cool.

theWorldWithin said:
Can someone explain why users of psychedelics and dissassociatives experience time dilation which at least *seems* to be entirely real.

Yeah it's quite simple. 1 Second can be measured mathematically to great precision with an atomic clock. Your own experience of 1 second of time is, however, far less precise. It depends on your physiology and psychology. I would expect a humming bird experiences 1 second quite differently to a person.

Likewise the natural experience of time slowing down during an accident can be explained as a physiological reaction to adrenalin and other stuff and the psychological reaction to the stress.

It isn't surprising that a chemical that can change your perceptions can alter the experience of time.