• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

experiences with mirtazapine (avanza)

A good anti-depressant if it works for you and you experience no major side effects. Fuck ESPE is serious shit and as Avanza has an anti-psychotic component I'm not surprised, although it's very rare for Avanza (Clozapine is a different story but lets not go there) EPSE involves side effects like head twitching and involuntary muscle movments and are major adverse effect and can cause permanent neurological changes ie you will have th EPSE for life with or without the medication. Also bad EPSE can be life threatening ie you will die very, very quickly without proper medical assistance. Positives it's good for munchies, kinda a vague stoned feel to it like a very low dose DXM or smoking leaf and tips. Great to get some sleep at least for the first few weeks. Not super interactive with other drugs especially psychedelics which is weird as it has SSRI and anti-psychotic activity just very different to every other anti-depressant. That said it does increase stimulant effects when doing any psychedelics including increased heart rate and hypertension so being careful to dose correctly when taking Avanza can be the difference between a fun night out and a trip to ED. Also drugs you know that even low doses of cause heart/circulation issues are best avoided ie: 4-meo-mipt. Many early anti-psychotics (and some newer ones) were developed from anti-histamine derivatives and Avanza has just that kind of activity (helps my asthma) Great for PTSD and anxiety as both a primary parmacalogical intervention and as part of a two drug therapy ie Prozac in the morning Avanza at night. A good drug and one not to be ruled out if you need some help getting the black dog off your back. One more thing it has killed the desire for meth off big time. I don't think even looking at shard would do more than make me want to vomit. Avanza is a big turn off for meth use but still allows one to enjoy some of the less physically taxing psychedelic drugs and milder stimulants without to much of an issue. EP and avanza go ok, MDPV is a trainwreak waiting to happen, 4-MMC is ok if you keep the dose low (fucking hard to do) 4-MEC is just shit anyway so don't bother with this crap. All other drones suck due to bad effects on heart and circulation due to the recreational dose providing these lovely side effects! Drugs like ethylcathinone and pentadrone??? or some other shit like buphedrone, all shit. Super taxing on the heart and worse come down and crap high compared to Mcat. Avoid cathinones and Avanza, avoid meth and Avanza, avoid having 10 or more cups of coffee before 10 am when you have only been awake 3 hours. Happy to be taking it and appart from hunger that possessed your every waking moment for the first week and a half no bad effects thus far in 6 months. :)

No weight gain?

I swear I am putting on some weight quickly. Looking in the mirror today and I swear I have gotten fatter. could all be in my head though.

I have noticed alot of restless leg syndrome at night before falling to asleep, is this related to this ESPE? What does that stand for?

Also, any notice an increase acne when on it? I have always gotten bad acne on my back despite taking doxycycline but it seems to have gotten worse since taking avanza.

Hey psytaco or anyone else that's used this med, just got a question for you.

Does starting up on avanza have the same drawn out side effects as ssri/snri's? Like the nasty 4 weeks where you feel confused, anxious and just generally shit?

I've been binging a lot lately due to being on holliday (opiates, meth). And recently noticed that the main trigger for my usage is depression. Well I go back to work Wednesday and I'm thinking about combating the depression with avanza.
I won't be able to take my first dose untill tomorrow night, so I'll only be 4 days in once I hit work. I'm thinking about doing this because I have a feeling that after my first day back I'll be using opi's again.

On holliday whilst high I seem to trick myself into thinking I can cope without them once I'm back at work, so I go a little bit too far, then back at work the depression hits and I'm straight home getting high again, this also involves me waking the next day in regret of what I've done.

I guess basically I'm asking how long it took before it started to help?

No. Its very good for sleep. One might feel sleepy for a few days to a week whilst beginning on it. But after that you get used to it. Its actually quite a good option for any body with sleep problems.

And if you mix it with effexor/pristiq they call it californian rocket fuel.

Sleep is something I really need, usually doesent happen unless I'm on something. Sort of where the problem begin.

So your saying it didn't help much with depression?

Ummm well i took it to help me sleep personally. I am not sure if i ever really had depression. I am more of an experimental type of person. But i have heard that it works quite well for depression with anxiety.

And i took the combo of avanza with both pristiq/effexor and it was like being pepped up all the time, plus being able to sleep at night. Pretty good combo imo

I've been taking this drug for 3 weeks now. It's not very fun...it makes me very drowsy, but gives me RLS from hell, and annoying itchiness under my skin in random parts of my body. It makes me very grumpy too, so much so that I nearly hit my dog the other day.

It has reduced my craving for meth though and has helped a little with my anxiety.

I take the 15mg sublingual preparation.

^ I'm on day three now, had ridiculous RLS about an hour after doseing, but found after an hour of restlessness on the couch it went away.
Now this is good for me, because usually I wake up heaps throughout the night with it (RLS), but last three nights I've slept all the way through.

I'm not a good judge at the moment, I have just come off a 2 week Holliday of drugs and relaxing. So it seems fair that I have no anxiety or depression yet.

The side effects i mentioned in my earlier post were definately EPSE of some sort... So glad to be off this drug now... but now im on an ssri.... been through most of them... so pointless...until i cease use... maybe they do work.. I dunno anymore

^ can you explain your experience of EPSE? And at what dose it really got to you?
(Think you mentioned you were on up to 90mg).

I tried an ssri, but there was no way I could get any sleep on it unless I took more/other drugs. Slowly made things worse for me.

The restless legs are a bit annoying, but atm they pass after an hour or so.

My gf got some and she took is 2 times and hated it. The box was laying around so I decided to give it a go. I ate a while one the first time and was really tired and slept hard but woke up tripping balls a couple of times. Also, I couldn't stop eating. Another mate of mine takes it and he has stacked on the weight.

Just for those curious, I'm on 30mg mirtaz atm. I think I read somewhere that it would change the affects of psychedelics, or even stop them from working.

Well I'm glad to say this isn't so..... for me anyway. The only difference I noticed was a lack of anxiety, which is what you want IMO.

Last edited:
Ive been on 120mg of this shit for about 12 months and the only thing it has done for me is caused me to gain about 30kgs in weight and helped with sleep in the early stages. Im working with my psyc to change drugs again. Problem is i think i have just about tried them all...

Is the weight gain really that common for people taking this? Is it due to how the drug effects the metabolism or primarily how it induces appetite just causing people to crave food?
I'm hoping if I do take it, I could counteract the weight gain by exercising a shit ton. But is weight gain inevitable and is it really hard to fight the munchies off this stuff? I'm just so scared of gaining weight.

Nah doesn't effect metabolism it just keeps you hungry. It does this [I assume] due to the sedation it causes via the effective H1 anti histamine activity. It's the same extreme munchies I get from pretty much every sedative anti histamine. Not a night goes by where I take a restavit for sleep, but instead of only making me lethargic also makes me crave food to the extent that this hunger is keeping me awake, so then I binge on 1/2 a box of nutrigrain or something.

It's the same reason Tricyclic Antidepressants also make you fat.

In a world of useless antidepressants this one is the best of a bad bunch.
Having tried 10 SSRIs/SNRI s before this with zero success this was the last one left.
I have been on this a year now. It is good for a few things. 1. Sleep. 15-60 mgs sleep 8 hours a night. This is common for people on it. 2. It doesn't affect sexual function anywhere near SSRI's if at all. 3. It will allow you to eat. This can be a double edges sword as many people experience weight gain. I haven't but I haven't lost any either. 4. Easy to stop. No zaps or all over the place. I've met 4 people on Mirt and they are all skinny. Remember people will always report negatives on the net more than not saying anything. HIGHLY under prescribed med. it should be a first line med as it is easy to stop if you put on weight or whatever and sleep is often an issue with depression.

RE Californian Rocket fuel. Mirt + prestique or Effexor. I would be really cautious with this combo. I was fine with Mirt 30 and prestique 50 but when I switched to 75 Effexor I went completely fucking crazy for a month. Sold 5000 bucks worth of music gear. Since ceased the Effexor and did not return to prestique.

Last thing. Does not effect MDMA at all in my experience. Nor K, MJ or opiates.

I tried 15mg Mirtaz last year for about a month and found it's great for insomnia and it definitely put on some much needed weight. It didn't really do much for SAD and depression. I've decided to start again on 30mg and keep on going for a few months to see what happens. It's been a week and the knock out property has seemed to have stopped working but when I take 15mg it seems to work again which is weird.

The side effects from the other SSRI's and SNRI's to me, remind me of taking Piperazine pills, awful stuff. The only side effect I've had from this is weird body spasms that last about a second but they stop after about an hour. I don't know why this isn't a first-line treatment as some people seem to find this works perfect. And all rec. drugs I use seem to work fine on it which is incredible.

I just hope with this increased dose it will get rid of my SAD.

around 12mg is the perfect dose for insomnia. approx. i also used to cop rls whenever id have "too much" , wich is even 22mg in my case (half a 45) .

I've been on 300Mg of Effexor and 45Mg of Avanza plus valium daily for over a year now. It's true that Mitraz is more sedating at lower doses than higher. I've been as high as 60Mg. This combo (known as California Rocket Fuel) was something I pushed my doc for after years of trying other SSRI's for anxiety and depression. The worst side effect for me is increased blood pressure and fast heart rate which I've just stated taking meds for. Still, I love the combination as it's pretty much kicked my issues in the arse and I no longer have the problems I did. One thing that is a problem though is that I take oxycodone for pain relief (very rarely) and that totally screws me over. My wife has found me sleeping in the cupboards where we keep our pots and pans which freaked her out but I have no memory of it except the video she took

^yeah, its a tri-cyclic.

i must be in the minority of people that experience no sedation from my short tango with it. so many others report the total opposite as is evident.

I am currently on 45mg mirtazapine, and have been for 6 months or so. Not sure if it is working because with my substance abuse problems who the fuck knows.

One thing it can do however, is stop a 25i-NBOMe trip dead in its tracks. Have used it for friends having bad trips. The downside is if you take mirtazapine it makes it difficult to trip on the NBOMes. You pretty much need to double or triple your dose to get the same effects which can be unsafe. I've heard it could potentially interfere with other psychedelics but I can't comment first hand.

I've been taking 15mg of mirtazapine for depression for about three weeks now. I am actually feeling great. My mood has lifted and I have energy and the ability to concentrate again too. I'm starting for the first time in about half a year to feel optimistic about the future and haven't been having mini breakdowns when dealing with stressful events. It is also amazing for my sleep and I am generally sleeping 8 hours a day. For the last 5 months, I would be lucky to sleep for 4 hours and was needing to take alot of stilnox to get to sleep.

One thing that is concerning me is that my appetite has increased quite a bit and I am noticing I am beginning to put on weight. The one good thing about this last depressive episode was that I lost 10-12kg and was looking pretty good. What have other's experiences with weight gain on this drug being like? Do you generally just put on a bit of weight in the first month or so and then it tapers out or do you just keep packing on the kilos?

Eventually, I would like to stop taking it when the depression has completely gone and I have been built back to my old self. How were the withdrawal symptoms of mirtazapine? Better or worse than other antidepressants? I was on zoloft 2 years ago at 50mg a day for 6 months. even with tapering the withdrawal symptoms were pretty shitty. I could study and exercise and the like but I felt pretty terrible. I'm starting a new job soon that is going to be pretty demanding so am hoping to be able to work whilst going through the withdrawal.

Any other comments on the drug would be welcome

I underwent a course of Avanza to help with my chronic depression about 9 years ago. It worked a treat, along with Riboxetine? Both of these were quite new at the time.

Mirtazipine was great but gave me very arthritic and painful joints as a prominent side effect.

I would think that Mirtazipine was much better in its side effects than the rest i tried. It seemed to be the least invasive or 'present' when it came to affecting your mind. I felt like I was meant to feel regularly when on Mirtazapine, but yeah my joint became too swollen and had to stop.