• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Exercise: Physical stamina, energy, and endurance

Zephyn

Bluelighter
Not too long ago, I could do long distance hiking trips and take down 10-30 mile segments in a day, if not more, carrying heavy shit . Sure, a lot of that was enhanced by LSD. But after several stints in rehabs and various institutions, and especially after covid, I find myself deteriorating. Its created a cycle where I have no energy to do anything because I'm not exercising (+depression). It got to the point I was having physical aches and pains all over my body from inactivity. I work remotely, even prior to covid so this has enabled me to be inactive for quite some time. Finally, I've started to force myself to do it, took a maybe 3 mile walk the other day, and have done at least 15 minutes a day walking since then. Still, I find myself exhausted after only 15 minutes. As there isn't a lot of long distance hiking available here, I want to get into jogging, but I doubt I could last even 5 minutes. How long will it take to get back in shape?

Probably as long as you're willing to keep up the work. I find myself steadily gaining weight each time I weigh myself, so diet has a lot to do with it. I've been eating every time I feel hungry and with anything good or at hand. Try sticking to a solid committed food regiment. Exercise alone isn't always enough. I bike or skate at least 12 miles every week, but am still gaining weight. Some people see improvement working out within three weeks, others it takes three months. Depends on how fast your metabolism is. Anyway, thanks for sharing hope you keep it up & find healthy ways to cope with your depression.

Probably as long as you're willing to keep up the work. I find myself steadily gaining weight each time I weigh myself, so diet has a lot to do with it. I've been eating every time I feel hungry and with anything good or at hand. Try sticking to a solid committed food regiment. Exercise alone isn't always enough. I bike or skate at least 12 miles every week, but am still gaining weight. Some people see improvement working out within three weeks, others it takes three months. Depends on how fast your metabolism is. Anyway, thanks for sharing hope you keep it up & find healthy ways to cope with your depression.
After starting to exercise, my appetite came back where I felt hungry for the first time in a long while.

how long it takes will depend on your age, other health factors (have you ruled these out as contributing to your exhaustion with a doctor?), and genetics. you are doing really well to get back into it. listen to your body to avoid injury and gradually build up. are you doing any strength exercises? like squats and lunges and stuff? these should help build your muscle up.

how long it takes will depend on your age, other health factors (have you ruled these out as contributing to your exhaustion with a doctor?), and genetics. you are doing really well to get back into it. listen to your body to avoid injury and gradually build up. are you doing any strength exercises? like squats and lunges and stuff? these should help build your muscle up.
Yeah, my doctors think I am otherwise healthy. Could always be some underlying disease that hasnt shown up on tests yet, but otherwise all looks good

well that is good to know. probably best to assume there is nothing wrong!!

i'm on my own journey from basically nothing and an unbelievably horrendous lifestyle to relative fitness. i am still just about young enough for my body to build up strength and endurance quite quickly but now i'm trying to run longer distances i can suddenly feel it in my legs. when i'm not running i tend to prefer exercise that destroys me- like HIIT (joe wicks on youtube, i started out just doing 10 mins of his 20 min videos and dying, now find the 20 min ones relatively easy), hikes that include large ascents, etc. i don't like the pain at the time but i like how it makes me feel after.

but i'm probably not a good example, last hiking trip i did i nearly destroyed my knee with some extra curricular walking and they were considering helicoptering me out, in which case i would have missed seeing petra.

nutrition
rest/recovery (sleep)
exercise

Those three all need to be done sufficiently to be healthy.

well that is good to know. probably best to assume there is nothing wrong!!

i'm on my own journey from basically nothing and an unbelievably horrendous lifestyle to relative fitness. i am still just about young enough for my body to build up strength and endurance quite quickly but now i'm trying to run longer distances i can suddenly feel it in my legs. when i'm not running i tend to prefer exercise that destroys me- like HIIT (joe wicks on youtube, i started out just doing 10 mins of his 20 min videos and dying, now find the 20 min ones relatively easy), hikes that include large ascents, etc. i don't like the pain at the time but i like how it makes me feel after.

but i'm probably not a good example, last hiking trip i did i nearly destroyed my knee with some extra curricular walking and they were considering helicoptering me out, in which case i would have missed seeing petra.
Well glad you made it out okay, and sounds like you reached your destination anyway!

i did and it was amazing!! though actually i found the roman mosaics more interesting than the nabatean ruins, possibly cos i had no idea they existed. really strongly recommend jordan if you like old stuff.