• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Exercise addiction ruined my life

poledriver

Bluelighter
Exercise addiction ruined my life

BEN Carter is addicted. Not to drugs or alcohol, but to something which is potentially just as dangerous. Exercise.
It started innocently enough back in 2011. Ben was struggling through a period of acute anxiety and depression when his therapist suggested exercise as a way to manage his symptoms.
"The first couple of weeks were easy because I felt good for once. From there it was a slippery slope," Ben tells news.com.au.

Over the next two years, Ben's exercise regimen grew ever more intense and obsessive. By late 2012 he was exercising for five hours a day, six days a week. As the workouts piled up, Ben developed an eating disorder and started shedding kilos at an alarming rate.

"I guess I began with anorexia athletica, which developed into anorexia nervosa when I quit running," Ben says. "I lost, in 18 months, around 33 kilos, and I was definitely not overweight to begin with."
By the time Ben stopped running in January of this year, his social life was in ruins and so was his health. He's still fighting the addiction, struggling against the urge to pick up a dumbbell or go for a run.

Exercise addiction hasn't been officially recognised as a disorder, but it has been investigated by several scientific studies.
According to those studies, the addiction could be caused by the release of "high-inducing" chemicals in the body during exercise, psychological factors such as the need to relieve stress, or a combination of both.

There are psychological side effects as well. In 2004, a group of Hungarian psychologists concluded there was "a strong link between exercise addiction and various forms of eating disorders." The condition is commonly linked to anorexia, along with more general concerns about body image.

Ben says society pressures men to be muscular, in much the same way that women are pressured to be thin.
"I think blokes are just as pressured and manipulated as women, but rather than being skinny we are supposed to look fit, big," he says. "It's a much more positive body image in the eyes of society, it looks healthy and feels healthy."
That attitude breeds competition between young men, who pile more pressure on each other.

"It becomes almost an unspoken competition over who can be the best," Ben says. "People start posting photos on Facebook and Instagram of their progress and it only fuels the desire."
In addition to his regular exercise regime, Ben played cricket once a week. He developed a "fitness rivalry" with one of his friends during the team's training sessions.

"At preseason training for my cricket club it was me and another bloke who outlasted everyone else in all the fitness drills, and it only spurred me on to try and best this guy," he says. "Even though he is one of my very good mates it killed me to know I wasn't the fittest."

942043-3e3b4930-5bb8-11e3-8eb9-1c57f26bd260.jpg

In late 2011, Ben was still looking healthy. Source: Supplied

Ben's workouts became his "buffer against the world", helping him overcome the mental problems caused by a previous addiction to alcohol.
"Exercise was so far removed from the usual stereotypical coping mechanisms," he said. "You feel good doing it, you feel good after doing it, and the only hangover is sore muscles."
At least, that's how it worked at first. But as Ben pushed away from one addiction, his new one spiralled out of control.

Ben's body began to implode as he pushed it too far. Making matters worse, he ate nothing during the day and binged on unhealthy food before bed.
"I would eat litres of ice cream and yoghurt a night, tubs of hommus, kilos of chicken schnitzel drenched in cheese," Ben says. "I'd eat for a solid three hours.

"Working out in the afternoon before dinner was especially tough. I'd suffer severe dizzy spells. I almost passed out a few times.
"Honestly I have no idea how it was possible. I was very unwell."

Ben's body was constantly aching, and he was losing weight fast, but he was still obsessed with exercise. By late 2012, he considered anything less than 12km on a run to be a failure.
"There was nothing that would get in the way of my workout," he says. "If I started work at six I'd be on the road at four. I cancelled holidays, came back early from others, took time off cricket.

"On the ultra-rare occasion that I couldn't run for a morning the panic would be intense. I would be thinking of absolutely nothing else but my run or my workout. I'd be calculating how many kilometres I was going to do, what route I was going to take, and nothing would distract me from it until I managed to get that workout in.

"I wasn't living. My mind couldn't process anything else. Sometimes I'd feel physically ill if anything kept me away from the weights."

941809-3ec6e5a8-5bb8-11e3-8eb9-1c57f26bd260.jpg

This was taken in early 2012, just before things went seriously south. Source: Supplied

Finally, in December of 2012, Ben realised he had to stop.
"I hated running. Despised it, obsessed over it, thought of nothing else. I ran as soon as I woke up because I couldn't bear to think about it all day. I'd finish, and relief would flood over me knowing I wouldn't have to put myself through that for another 24 hours.

"I sat on a chair at 7am listening to David Bowie's Heathen. And I sobbed. Sobbed like I hadn't for years.
"I felt completely trapped, I was so strongly compulsed to run yet my body was so weak and tired that I'd be crying in pain every step."

Ben spoke to his psychologist, and the pair decided he would stop exercising.
"I remember asking him to specifically tell me to stop. I said I needed to hear from a professional that I was damaging myself. He did, and we agreed to a tapering down process followed by a complete cessation."

Ben says he was lucky to have a good support structure around him at the time. Others might not share that luck.
"If someone is dealing with these problems alone and can't recognise the warning signs it can be very dangerous," he says.

941863-3f454aa6-5bb8-11e3-8eb9-1c57f26bd260.jpg

Late 2012. “I’d gone from decent to grotesque in a matter of months.” Source: Supplied

Having quit all serious exercise, Ben now has an extra four or five hours to fill every day. How does he spend that time?
"I've tried to develop different coping strategies," he says. "I've begun cooking, continued to write my blog. I'm growing my own veggie garden and trying to reconnect with friends that I've lost along the way.

"The key is distraction. Keeping busy doing things other than exercise. Redeveloping relationships with my family, trying to meet new people, hopefully eventually going back to work."
But Ben hasn't kicked the addiction yet. He misses the endless runs and workouts, even knowing what they did to him.

"I still walk every day and feel ultra-anxious if I don't do any incidental exercise in my daily life, although I am now getting on top of my recovery," he says.
"I miss the endorphin rush, the self esteem boost, the compliments, the feeling of achievement, and the social aspect. Once you really dedicate yourself to exercise you feel the comraderie of other people who are pushing themselves to the limit.

"I even miss the worst bits. Trying to push for one more rep when your muscles are screaming in pain. The days after a hard workout when you can barely walk up stairs. It's good pain."

942215-3f97db22-5bb8-11e3-8eb9-1c57f26bd260.jpg

At this point, Ben was losing weight fast. Source: Supplied

As someone who has fought both alcohol and exercise addiction, Ben says the latter is a bigger challenge.

"I've dealt with alcohol addiction, and trust me, that was bloody hard to kick and it took a lot and still takes a lot of willpower every single day. But exercise addiction is a different beast altogether," he says.
"How are you meant to even recognise you have a problem when everyone around you is telling you you're doing something brilliant for your body?

"I would post a picture on Facebook of my fitness app showing I'd run 90kms in a week, or send a picture to friends of the body I'd painstakingly crafted, and the response would be overwhelmingly positive," he says. "Contrast this with someone with an alcohol problem posting pictures of mountains of empty bottles or pictures of them passed out."

While society is soaked with warnings against the overconsumption of alcohol, the dangers of overexercising barely rate a mention, Ben says.
"It's so far off the radar of most medical professionals, in my opinion."
By the way, Ben Carter has an awesome blog. You can and should read it here.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...tened-his-health/story-fneuzlbd-1226775942243

The addiction isn't "in" the exercise, or the alcohol. It is in your (Ben's) mind.
Exercise addiction didn't ruin his life. He did it himself.

Last edited:
Ok, exercise addiction didn't ruin his life, but maybe his anxiety and fucked up mental state ruined his life. People do have underlying issues that may cause their life to go into a downward and vicious self-reinforcing spiral.

Alcohol, substance abuse, and frankly ANY form of addiction can cause problems, either in the short term, or long term, or perhaps forever. It all depends on how far the person goes - some go to the nth degree and end up in a condition where they feel like they may as well be dead. I've never been there, but believe me I've suffered from mental trauma - from my parent's divorce at the age of 9, from being molested by a female stranger also at 9, from my mother's suicide at 12, from my girlfriend's mother forcing her to have an abortion when she was carrying my kid when I was 23. Yeah, the list goes on and on, but I don't abuse drugs, or exercise to outrageous levels. Even still, there a days where I want to explode, yet I can hold it in.

Seems that GABAergic drugs fix ALL of my problems...but it's only temporary. And when they wear off, the anxiety and mental traumas simply reappear. It's a bit like telling a copper in your house to fuck off, with them walking out and closing the door behind them...only to come back later on with a couple of their colleagues complete with a full suite of battering rams, nightsticks, guns, taser, pepper spray, etc. That's what happens when you try to escape your problems by using drugs, especially downers. The coppers WILL come back, but next time they won't be knocking, they'll kick the fucking door down.

Simple solution - if you think you're going too far or if other people are letting on that you're not getting anywhere...then STOP. That's all there is to it.

Anything in major excess can obviously cause harm, even things that are considered to be 'good' for people, like exercise and water for example. Moderation.

I wasn't sure if I should post this, as it's not really drug related, but since it mentioned his alcohol addiction and is about exercise addiction then I thought I would, I dont mind if it's closed or anything.

Ok, exercise addiction didn't ruin his life, but maybe his anxiety and fucked up mental state ruined his life. People do have underlying issues that may cause their life to go into a downward and vicious self-reinforcing spiral.

Alcohol, substance abuse, and frankly ANY form of addiction can cause problems, either in the short term, or long term, or perhaps forever. It all depends on how far the person goes - some go to the nth degree and end up in a condition where they feel like they may as well be dead. I've never been there, but believe me I've suffered from mental trauma - from my parent's divorce at the age of 9, from being molested by a female stranger also at 9, from my mother's suicide at 12, from my girlfriend's mother forcing her to have an abortion when she was carrying my kid when I was 23. Yeah, the list goes on and on, but I don't abuse drugs, or exercise to outrageous levels. Even still, there a days where I want to explode, yet I can hold it in.

Seems that GABAergic drugs fix ALL of my problems...but it's only temporary. And when they wear off, the anxiety and mental traumas simply reappear. It's a bit like telling a copper in your house to fuck off, with them walking out and closing the door behind them...only to come back later on with a couple of their colleagues complete with a full suite of battering rams, nightsticks, guns, taser, pepper spray, etc. That's what happens when you try to escape your problems by using drugs, especially downers. The coppers WILL come back, but next time they won't be knocking, they'll kick the fucking door down.

Simple solution - if you think you're going too far or if other people are letting on that you're not getting anywhere...then STOP. That's all there is to it.

Damn, Flynnal, sounds like you have had some difficult experiences.
I am glad that you don't abuse drugs to escape from pain - maybe you just deal with it, or maybe you have finished dealing with it?
I agree with what you say - your analogy about the cops coming back, like drug abuse coming back to get you, is very apt.
And your solution - simply to stop before you take things too far - is a good one. The only one, actually.
And it lies within ones' self. Just where the problem with addiction is. So, I would say that this supports my earlier point that addiction is not in the substance, but in the mind.

I did sports & exercise science at undergrad and funnily enough actually did a presentation on exercise addiction, which is real, despite being rather rare. Amongst other things, exercise does induce a partial amount of dopamine into the reward pathways of the brain, which can make those very susceptible, desire and crave to exercise. Combine this with using exercise as a stress relief outlet during depression, it could certainly become a strong habit to break. I kind of wish I had more motivation to exercise, certainly doesn't give me enough dopamine to keep me coming back. I now usually exercise as an attempt of feeling guilty because I know I need to stay fit, as opposed to feeling intrisically desired to do so.

Give me some of this guy's brain please.

I was the operations manager at a chain of local health clubs and this story brings to mind a few ppl i met over the years, men and women. I went from working part time at night to 60hrs a week salaried full everything in like a year, i guess i was good at what i did...anyways, id see dudes who were pretty sizable coming in there everyday and hitting it hard, and they never made progress bc they were gym rats and didnt give their body time to rebuild which is one of the reasons they get big in the first place. These dudes would be taking bizzarre supplements, some would take steroids....then the women were almost always worse...one girl who to this day was one of the hottest best chicks ive ever met destroyed herself at the gym, two a days, eating disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, so sad. She got really toned, her hair started to get kinda stringy...one girl would run and spend hours on the elipticals and arc trainers. One day she fainted and tried to keep going, i opened the vending machine got her water and gatorade and said go home i dont want you back til tmrw. Turns out she just went to some other gym...so yes this condition is real. Those are just the few i put down i have some really bad memories of being engulfed in gym culture for those 4 years.

Exercise is better than a bullet to the head.

Of course, if you're suicidal and you go out running to relieve your pain, shit can happen. The temptation to throw yourself into traffic is strong. It's pretty much as easy as pulling a trigger.

Last edited:
Since when is yogurt and hummus unhealthy?

Nice one Ben, 3 years of exercise and you got the body of someone with a 6 month meth habit.

How healthy is exercise? to me longevity is marker of health and I'm sure the longest lived people of the Med and Japan don't go for long runs, they eat a good diet, stay moderately active and have lots of social interaction.

I bet the exercise is a major weapon he used to overcome his alcoholism.. as its allot easier to trade one addiction for another I wouldn't be surprised if thats what he did.

I bet the exercise is a major weapon he used to overcome his alcoholism.. as its allot easier to trade one addiction for another I wouldn't be surprised if thats what he did.

i had the same suspicion.
trading one addiction for another is far, far easier, as you said, than just giving up.
too bad he couldn't make exercise a "healthy addiction", but had to take it into unhealthy territory.

Yea kinda true about the meth body..i was expecting a way diff photo tbh. Buuut you are what you eat and if hes crushing tons of heavy cals and fat at night and not eating during the day theres basically no point to working out. Just get hooked on junk food and move to the us, hah.

How healthy is exercise? to me longevity is marker of health and I'm sure the longest lived people of the Med and Japan don't go for long runs, they eat a good diet, stay moderately active and have lots of social interaction.

Surely you realize that these people are the statistical outliers and that you shouldn't base generalizations on them.

Heart disease is the number one killer of humans, and regular exercise significantly reduces risk of heart disease.

Man it must take a lot of work to maintain an exercise addiction.

Man it must take a lot of work to maintain an exercise addiction.

It's not work if it feels good. Running to me feels good, and I feel crappy when I go without it. Maybe I'm an addict, but I also eat too much to waste away. I'm a very consistent 90 kg.