• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Etiquette

I guess like what Airwalk said - etiquette's pretty much subjective. Etiquette to me is basically general consideration for everyone else around me and not doing things that I know will annoy me if someone else was doing it.

haha Tars very good point, im an example in myself! i was joking, should have put a smiley :)

where'd my post go? I posted something here and it just hasn't appeared. damn.
I can't be bothered writing it out again. But basically yes, ettiquete is totally subjective. What one person thinks is rude doesn't even cross the mind of the other person

about the opening car door for females,
I completely disagree with it. I think it shows that they are incapable of doing it themselves and dont see why they can't just open their own bloody door?
it is old fashioned and seen as gentlemanly etc but i would hope my mother would be independant enough to do it herself. But i suppose the way your raised completely dictates the etiquettes you follow and so if from an early age i was door bitch i would probably still do it now ;)

about the car door thing...if a boy is trying to impress me, and opens the car door...I won't be offended. I'll think he likes me enough to try and impress me. I'd be impressed.
If a guy did it all the time I'd think either:
a) if he was my boyfriend, I'd think he respects me
or
b) if he was my boyfriend I'd think he was brought up 'properly' by his parents etc and so he has respect for women in general
or
c) if it was a friend or a work colleague it'd piss me off no end cause I'm capable of opening my own door thank you very much
oh and even if it was my boyfriend, I'd never sit in the car waiting for him to come around and open the door for me. I'm just talking about when you go into the car.
[ 04 April 2002: Message edited by: miss apple ]

But basically yes, ettiquete is totally subjective. What one person thinks is rude doesn't even cross the mind of the other person
That's right, so when in public it's better to be extra polite so you offend the least people.
Cutural difference would play a big part in that too. Like how in Japan it is offensive to blow your nose in public, so people stick tissues up their nose so they don't need to blow it! When I worked around lots of international students it seemed like some were really disrespectful, but then I read that interrupting someone who is serving someone else is expected in some asian countries, whereas here it is rude to interrupt someone if they are doing other work. It is suprising what is polite or rude in other cultures.
I also hate people eating food in a vulgar manner! I can't stand it when people eat in inappropriate places (particularly in meetings, or on public transport). But then I wonder if that's just because I am over sensitive to it?

what's wrong with eating in meetings? I do it all the time.
perfect example I guess....

miss apple arent there better ways to show respect than opening doors ? i dunno it just seems a bit petty and well .. stupid to me?
the subject politeness in public to avoid insulting most people as possible came up the other day talking to wazza, as some of you would know he talks non stop about a lot of shit, some people would think this is rude etc but his take on it is if your annoyed tell him and he'll stop.
Isnt that how public etiquette should work? Do what you do normally, thus showing a more accurate picture of what you act like everyday and if someone doesnt like something that you do they can tell you and you can stop it or whatever, MUCH easier on both parties rather than tip toeing around trying not to hurt anyone.

Actually the wazza example is perfect as he's told me the same thing a million times. But the concept is right on, wouldn't it be ideal if we all acted the way we wanted and if it annoyed someone they just tell you so.

At the risk of sounding petty and stupid I also think its well mannered to tie your mullet into a ponytail and button your flanelette shirt right up to the top when meeting a dates parents for the first time :) .

Ahh.. All this talk of doors has reminded me of something that really shitted me off years ago. When I was younger, in school, when I came to a doorway I would normally wait for whoever is on the other side to walk through before I did (regardless of gender). Pretty much never got a thankyou but that didn't matter :) .
Every so often I would see guys that would normally be rude open a door for -or- let a female through the door first and say "after you" or some other line (and the girls would normally thank them). This used to shit me to no end because it's if they were saying "hey look at me! I'm being well mannered! Please have sex with me!". The girls were probably dumb enough to fall for that sort of thing as well. It didn't shit me because I didnt get thanked, it shat me because being nice should be a full time thing. Maybe I was just raised a little bit better. :)
[/vent]