• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Endless road to Sobriety

Joker9913

Greenlighter
I am a opiate addict of 9 years. I am the worst kind of addict. I've always held down a job because I am good at what I do and as humble as I can say I get paid well. So the definition of a functioning addict basically (functional as far as work) but I think my view on working hard is just apart of me because the way I was raised.

Now firstly I want to explain prescription opioid narcotics produce the high but not so much the disgraceful junkie feeling because at the end of the day it comes from a Dr. sooooo 9 years ago Im 17 years old and a young buck coming out of high school with all the promise in the world and a family company at my fingertips all I had to do is dedicate my life to my familys trade (3rd Generation Painter) and yes it isnt fancy and some would consider it low expectations but to me it gave me meaning and the fact I could make more than the teachers telling me I wouldnt amount to anything useful made it that much victorious.

So im 17 and I've already dabbled in pretty much every drug but it was back then just a party thing nothing of habit and nothing of addiction.. and I didnt even have a drug of choice. Besides sweeet sweet Mary Jane (ohh how I wish I never left you) fast foward thru fathers death and all the sadness that came along with it.

I started using pain killers for the physical pain from 60+ hours a week manual labor for years on end til this day. Unlike most who viewed Lortab Percocet as downers they did not bring me down they jacked me up made me happy and made me creative at work. Painting houses is a very boring ass thing when you think about it lol... 20 years old and king of the world bringing home 3000 a week estimating my own jobsites running them correctly to a T qnd was well known in our county as the young man to carry on the painting industry.

It all started when I was approached by a outside source to sign a exclusive contract with them and leave my familys business. I left and worked with a guy that introduced me to Oxy IR 30mgs previously I had only taken Oxy 10/325 or some form of Oxy/Tylenol never IR. This took me tp a whole new level of addiction.

so years go on from 100mg or more a day of Oxy (Always swallowed or chewed up never shot up or sniffed I just liked eating them it was easy to hide) Now the new devil comes to light in 2017 Meth. I loved cocaine back in the day so i figured wtf lets try it 3 month binge later i stopped myself cold turkey thank god. but I did meth because I had absolutely ZERO withdrawals from OXY while using meth.

Now I have stopped everything Oxy and Meth and I feel terrible .. like retarded slowed down almost most coordination is screwed and my hands tremble (terrible because a steady hand is very important in my line of work) so I took a week off from work and now attempting my own verison of the "Thomas Recipe" but remember im combating a 3 month everyday .5 meth habit along with a 100mg a day 0Xy habit for 9 years.

So anything yall suggest to help me .. I have Xanax 2mg and plenty plus some good kind bud and im eating and drinking ALOT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro, I don't have much time at the moment.. But time is the only thing that'll help you. Stick with it man.... The older we get the harder it gets... Just my observations... Sick with it and keep updating your thread. We're here to help.

its 11pm took another 2mg Xanax and immodium close to nap time but RLS is driving me insane

OP, could you walk us through the timeline again (mostly the more recent part)? I kinda lost track of where your oxy use went when you started the meth...whether you were juggling both for a while or whether you traded one for the other? I just ask b/c it'll help us help you if we know what exactly you're up against. Thanks!

meth the last 3 months were oxy a few times but like i said the meth made OXY irrelevant to me really if i had it cool if not fuck it .. oxy use has been at 80-100mg a day for about 4 years and ive been on oxy for a total of 9 years .. meth just 3 months

btw STILL CLEAN today still taking the xanax for WD .. but im down to 1mg a day vs. 2-3mg and i dont drink what so evere hate it .. but 3 or 4 a night helps me sleep n relax also

also suboxone is great but it gets me high as fuck and i like it so thats just trading

At the very least you should try finding a doctor to work with on this. And get yourself some gabapentin and clonidine, which will treat the majority of the symptoms. Also try and find some diazepam or even clonazepam instead of alprazolam. Alprazolam is not nearly as effective as diazepam at managing acute withdrawal (it doesn't last nearly long enough). If these meds aren't possible to get order some kratom and take it for one to two weeks as you would buprenorphine to treat the acute withdrawal. It will help you make it through that with relative comfort.

If you are struggling coming off opioids though you really should consider using buprenorphine for a week to manage your withdrawals. Taken at an appropriate dose it won't get you high as fuck, but it will eliminate cravings and the acute withdrawal syndrome. It is NOT "trading one addition for another," that is just bullshit 12 step propaganda. What it IS is a medical technique used to detox and/or maintain sobriety in early recovery that is infinitely more effective than traditional abstinence only methods (like over 50% more effective).

Hot baths and Tiger Balm work really well for RLS. Try and avoid antihistamines like diphenhydramine and doxylamine (which are commonly used for insomnia) because they tend to exacerbate RLS. Exercise will also help combat RLS, but try and avoid doing it later than two hours before bedtime because it can keep you up. Avoiding caffeine intake after 12pm noon will also help with sleep.

What dose of what drugs are you coming off from?