• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

End Times

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I'm not a particularly religious person although I'm spiritual and acknowledge there may be a higher power in one way or another. But I find the way certain things from the Bible (particularly Revelations) correspond with what's going on in the world now a bit compelling. Of course other religions have versions of the apocalypse or whatever you want to call it as well, but for some reason I feel Revelations especially consistent. Anyways, thoughts?

We're witnessing an acceleration of change, I think, but it is the same acceleration (at a different stage) that was witnessed when those biblical passages were written... Our future is uncertain (because we've never witnessed anything like what is happening to the human race, so we don't - really - have any idea how it's going to end) and we are becoming evermore conscious of our vulnerability as a species and the finality of life.

It sounds like what you're suggesting is that the passages in the Bible accurately predicted an impending apocalypse, but that isn't clear to me. We have to be conscious of the impact that we're having on our future, in order to prevent undesirable outcomes, but that doesn't indicate that the likelihood of an apocalypse has increased - rather, perhaps, that we become more aware of the threat as time passes...

This is a good thing and a bad thing.
The same can be said for fear, in general.

Fear motivates us to protect ourselves.
But it can also be overwhelming at times.

We have to fear in order to function efficiently, but we also have to limit our fear.

I do think we are heading a little bit closer to our own demise with excess fossil fuels being burnt and more advanced nuclear weapons. i believe once we get close enough to endangering our species we will do the right thing and not be completely wiped out.

Any certain passages that specifically correlate to modern events? I just don't see the bible being correct on this and since you dont sound like a Christian, or at least not a strong one, why would you think revelations is correct? What specifically makes you thinks revelations is correct?

Humans have a lot of potential. I might say endless, but I could of course be wrong. I don't know if events mirror Revelation--I would have to check or be provided specific examples.

I often have no faith at all in a bright future for the masses.

Last edited:
Any certain passages that specifically correlate to modern events? I just don't see the bible being correct on this and since you dont sound like a Christian, or at least not a strong one, why would you think revelations is correct? What specifically makes you thinks revelations is correct?

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I would say which (in case you didn't already know) loosely translates as...

White Horse: Pestilence (Disease)
Red Horse: War
Black Horse: Famine
Pale Horse: Death

And I'm not predicting or nothing but I just find the similarities in the bible eerily relevant to what's going on in the world now.

^On the flipside, were there ever any periods in history where all of these things weren't occurring simultaneously? The plague wiped out a third of Europe in the 14th century, midst war and famine around the world.

Yeah, I too don't see how that is eerily similar to anything going on now (relative to the rest of history).

Death has always happened and will always happen... So that one's out.
Disease is less of a threat now than it ever has been... So that one's out.

All you've got left is famine and war.
2/4 isn't eerily similar... and, like Bardeaux said, these things have always existed to some extent (haven't they?)...
So why is it eerily similar now, rather than in the 16 century or the 8th century... or any other century involving the "civilized world"?
You could argue that civilization will inevitably end in an apocalyptic situation and, maybe so, but civilization existed when those words were written... They were making direct observations of the world around them, and what it might lead to. They weren't making specific predictions about this point in history, any more than they were making specific predictions about the 18th century or the 12th.

^On the flipside, were there ever any periods in history where all of these things weren't occurring simultaneously? The plague wiped out a third of Europe in the 14th century, midst war and famine around the world.

That's a good point.

yeah nnskin hate to break it to you but that's a vague prediction at best.

Uh, you must have missed the part where I said I wasn't predicting. I just was saying for me personally I find eerie similarities and I have felt that way at various times.

^You're implying that the Bible is making accurate predictions by suggesting that there are co-incidences that are inexplicable (unless they are predictions). Nobody is suggesting that you're making predictions... What are the eerie similarities? Can you draw any connections between the four horseman and this moment in history?

We're fucked. All the tipping points for ecological death have been reached, and even now we're still over extracting.

Earth will survive but most humans are about to die, and I say good riddance. The only humans worth saving never have any power to change things for the better. The most evil and narrow minded of us are about to destroy everything. The rest are sheep really, there to serve the ruling class by consuming and breeding.

What makes me sad is the innocent wildlife that has been butchered for our selfishness.

^You're implying that the Bible is making accurate predictions by suggesting that there are co-incidences that are inexplicable (unless they are predictions). Nobody is suggesting that you're making predictions... What are the eerie similarities? Can you draw any connections between the four horseman and this moment in history?

I don't really care to turn this into a semantics argument. As far as the similarities I don't think it's too hard to apply The Four Horsemen to what's going on now. If you need to know the connections just read a newspaper or watch the news.

I don't really care to turn this into a semantics argument. As far as the similarities I don't think it's too hard to apply The Four Horsemen to what's going on now. If you need to know the connections just read a newspaper or watch the news.

You're the one that started this thread. Now you're saying "watch the news"...?
If you're not willing to explain your position, why start a thread?
Do you want to have a discussion, or not?

I've already explained how two of the four horsemen don't apply to this moment in history, more than any other.

This isn't semantics. You haven't explained your position, at all... You say there are eerie connections between an ancient text and the modern world, then you refuse to explain what the connections are, because they're so obvious?

:\

So death and disease don't apply to this moment in history? You really are a crackpot.

I never actually said that. They don't apply more to this moment in (human) history than any other.
But, look, I can see that you're not interested in a serious discussion.
So, I'll leave you to it.

I've had enough childish squabbles with people on this forum, recently.
Good luck to you.
:)

Yeah, I agree that the world seems to be especially fucked at the moment. But its been fucked throughout history.

Every era considers itself the most modern. This is no different. I think foreverafter has a point in saying that drawing a connection between the world now and the weirdness of Revelations is a stretch. The reason that biblical eschatology has remained so potent is that it is (probably) intentionally fantastical and allegorical so as to yield many interpretations to fit almost any current situation.

There is indeed death, famine, plague, war right now as there was 20 years ago and 50 years before that. And so on. I imagine there might even be less disease and death these days, judging by the huge growing human population and the use of showers. :\

It shouldn't be seen as an affront to have some sort of quotation or content displayed to further your point IMO.

What would have been "the end times" have been cancelled from what I've been able to make out. It would have happened by now. I can't see it getting any worse, either, I think it has gotten about as bad as it could be and it can only get better by now. To be fair, it did get ridiculously bad and almost an insult to the human spirit that we had to go through it. I still have a lot of anger about it (and what is left of it).

Last edited:
Heh, and I thought I was a pessimist. Slightly off-topic but your post made me think of this...

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. All the evidence shows this planet will benefit from a large reduction in humans, and industry. Even in my own lifetime I have seen green spaces turned into dumps. Nature needs to stop us and now.

Hmmm..... my father was going of this end times stuff during Sunday dinner.... I definitely don't have any good explanations regarding the future of humanity. All I know is that one nuclear war and that's enough to finish everyone possibly and perhaps we'll get a world that has some resemblance to Fall Out 3/New Vegas. NYC is probably a ticking time bomb that I live way to close to for comfort. Not to mention if we start getting terrorists that aren't simply against the "West" then extremely densely populated areas in the East will become extraordinarily viable targets if the goal is chaos and net damage. Things aren't exactly going well, per se, so I don't think people who keep bags packed full of survival gear are losing their minds, they might just be the most practical of the bunch. The world keeps spinning for whatever reason and that's okay with me, it'd be a real shame for some people if the world "ended," but while there's some things I'd like to do before I die, if the end comes then so be it. There are lots of shitty people with highly potent weaponry so who knows what might happen, I'd just rather people suffer less than more if the world starts crumbling down.