• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Emotional Freedom Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing EFT for a couple of weeks now, although I stopped for a while because I started taking GBL again. Now that I've made up my mind to quit GBL for good (after over a year of near-daily use) I've been tapping a lot. I quit G a couple of days ago, and really, EFT is the thing keeping me afloat (more than afloat - optimistic and happy most of the time). Usually when I've quit G in the past I've started drinking a lot instead just to keep the anxiety at bay. Now, I have a tool to deal with it on my own instead.

I was sceptical about this at first, as most people are, but this is truly the most amazing self-help tool that I have found. And you can use it on nearly everything! Anxiety, depression, phobias, physical pain, negative beliefs, you name it!

The best thing though, is that once you start using EFT on a more intuitive level, you get to do some real detective work as to why you're feeling like you are. For example, this morning I woke up feeling like shit, just really anxious and bleh, and wasn't sure why. After some tapping and probing, I realised that subconsciously, I wanted to feel like shit because I have so much work to do today, and in the past I've let myself get away with putting off work because I've felt bad emotionally, so this has become a technique to avoid doing work. It may sound fairly obvious to others, but this is something I wouldn't have admitted to myself under normal circumstances.

I know it sounds stupid. Meridian therapy? Tapping on points of your body while repeating affirmations? Please. That was my first reaction, and it took me a few months after hearing about the technique to actually do it. but really, don't judge until you have learnt the technique and tried it at least a few times. You might be pleasantly surprised....

Also, it's not really just another gimmick for self-proclaimed New Age prophets to make money, since most of the information is out there for free, you can learn it from many youtube videos, like the one which MyNameIsNotDeja posted a link to. There are free ebooks to download too. Also, if you do some Google searching, there is a *huge* amount of anecdotes on blogs, forums, etc on how this technique has worked amazingly for a lot of people. I think once more people start finding out about this, it's going to be huge. It's based on the same ideas as acupuncture, btw, and as acupuncture used to be seen as quackery but is now gaining more and more credibility, I don't see why EFT wouldn't.

. And I know that anxiety and other 'neurosis' exist for a reason. Your body and mind are trying to communicate with you. Thats basically a core principal of my life. You can work these exercises and avoid the issues until you blow completely.

That's the great thing about EFT though... With practice, you usually get to the underlying issues causing the anxiety, and deal with them directly. It's not just a cover-up. I think it's a great tool for communicating with your body and mind. For example, many people posting on forums and blogs have described how they dealt with physical problems, and discovered that there were underlying emotional reasons for the illnesses, and once they were adressed, the physical symptoms disappeared.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about EFT, and thanks NotDeja by the way, because this thread was the original reason that I decided to reluctantly try it out (had heard of it before but thought it was all fluff, but your post made me give in).

Eh, I kind of felt you until you said 'supposed to feel while high'

There isn't any way you're supposed to feel.

Yes there is, actually. You're supposed to feel high. And good. That's why people get high in the first place, don't you think? You know what I mean right.

Maybe I'm being "treatment resistant"...but this seems stupid to me...

Stupid huh? Even though I went on and on about how it helped me so much and it helps a lot of people, that's all you got? Stupid? Jesus.. sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying to help people here.

I'm not trying to force it on anyone. Just trying to help pass on something that helped me a lot.

a *bump* to this thread to save it from the spring cleaning...

I'm still using EFT daily and loving it. I saw an EFT therapist for a while, among other things helped clear up some anxiety issues stemming from childhood events. It's so amazing to feel the release of a really heavy issue... I felt like I was high for three days afterwards. It's helped me clear up some health issues as well.

Dude, thanks so much for saving this. I've been wondering a long time whether or not EFT was quakery or not. It appears to be really useful. I plan on trying it. Thanks NotDeja and Glitterbizkit!

Yay for the bump! Thank you, I forgot about this one.

EFT is still my secret weapon. I'm still going strong with my practice, although I'm over the hump of doing the theraputic tapping for most of my big problems now (emotional issues from childhood abuse and things like that) but I still use it for everyday clearing and balancing of energy in my body, and to get clarity over what ever little issues are bothering me here and there.

I've found it's great for backaches too! I have a kink in my spine from a back injury I got in 2002, and I'm doing yoga and exercises to try and straighten it, but it's sometimes painful. EFT has helped a lot.

My only issue with it is that sometimes when I have a really big issue, I just do not want to tap on it. I know it's a form of subconscious psychological reversal - wanting to hold on to an issue because it's such a big part of me, or being scared to delve deep into the pain. Often when I start tapping on something big, I'll just "lose interest" and wander off to do something else.

So... I started tapping whilst listening to Holosync. It helps me focus on my body, and also gives me a time limit so I can't just stop tapping. It works good, although I know there are a lot of things I still need to do it on.

My only issue with it is that sometimes when I have a really big issue, I just do not want to tap on it.

Haha yeah, a lot of people experience that. I know I did! And then I tapped on the fact that I didn't want to tap. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.