• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Emotion/Mood/Brain recovery after Meth

palmsugar

Greenlighter
Hi Bluelight.
Been smoking meth on and off for the past 6 years.
Once a week on average.
Craving triggers after alcohol consumption.
Haven't used both substances for 10 days.
Have been battling depression and low self esteem the past few years.
Would like to know what supplements you guys recommend for mental healing?
I want to be my old self again.I want to feel happy without substances.
Now I'm a nervous wreck ruminating on negativity all the time.
I wish to try the otc supplement route before meeting a psychiatrist etc,that would be a last choice.
I'm looking at recommendations in other threads here like tyrosine, st johns wort,Dhea,5htp etc.
Decided to join and ask myself before making any purchases.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Exercise everyday. Start out small and keep getting it in. Eat a healthy diet like whole chicken and fruits and vegetables. I usually make a meal out of a whole bag of steam able vegetables here and there and it helps you can tell a difference. Take DHA Fish oil 1000mg for brain support.

And no soda, no nicotine, and no sugar.

Last edited:
I think the thing with supplements is that they probably don't do any harm but you get better mileage out of exercise and a regular daily routine so long as you have a healthy diet with lots of protein and fresh green vegetables and leafy greens. The other thing that really helps in early days is being able to constantly tell yourself that the emotional dysregulation you feel is only temporary.

What has often caused me to relapse is NOT doing exercise and constantly ruminating on how bad I feel and the anxiety and depression I feel.

It will seem like the hardest thing in the world at the time, but getting up a going for a walk around the block can make the difference between picking up again and not. I set a morning alarm and an evening alarm to remind me to go at least twice a day and each time walk a little further. In the early days of recovery I usually can't manage any hard core exercise but that walk does wonders.

Also if you are sitting around at home ruminating on how bad you feel then things like audiobooks and podcasts are really good at getting your brain to think about more positive and interesting things. Distract your brain and you'll barely notice how shitty you thought you were feeling.