Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego Death, Depersonalization and No-Self

winterlight

Greenlighter
1. Ego death in the psychedelic experience
2. Depersonalization symptom in Depersonalization Disorder
3. No-Self (Anatta) experience in the Buddhist Nirvana
I believe they are essentially the same experience.
Discuss

1 and 3 are essentially the same thing because Buddhism is based around psychedelic ego death

but 2 is a different thing, although it is related to 1 and 3.

I feel like enlightenment in general shares the same end goal. Peace, and loss of an objective self identity.

The vectors and circumstances in which it is attained can vary drastically however.

1 and 3 are essentially the same thing because Buddhism is based around psychedelic ego death

but 2 is a different thing, although it is related to 1 and 3.

Buddhism is based around psychedelic ego death? I've never heard this before.

Buddhism is based around psychedelic ego death? I've never heard this before.

All the Buddhist stories are metaphorical descriptions of tripping out on drugs and experiencing ego death. For example the main centrepiece of Buddhism is the story of Siddartha Gautama eating enchanted rice-pudding, then he sits under a tree, gets attacked by demons then becomes enlightened.

That story is recognisable (through a thin veneer of metaphor) as a man taking drugs, having a bad trip (dangerous and traumatising loss of control) and experiencing permanent transformation of the mental worldmodel = psychedelic ego death

From the esoteric (psychedelically informed insider) perspective, *all* religion and mythology can be interpreted this way, not just Buddhism.

Compare the story of Jesus **eating and drinking** the holy bread and wine at the last supper, then being seized and crucified, then ascending to heaven. That is precisely the same mythic/metaphorical symbolism as the Buddha story, - pointing to the experience of drug-induced psychedelic ego death, followed by permanent (ie post-comedown) transformation of the mind's model of reality.

Beware the self-deceptions of exoteric prohibitionist cluelessness which try to ignore and deny the psychedelic meaning of the religious stories.

Similarly the Buddhist philosophy describes the metaphysical insight derived from psychedelic ego death (= no self, anatta)

Last edited: