• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego crushing?

Instead of "ego" maybe "self" would cover the same kinda ground then, Issy. It's what I mean when using the term "ego death" - losing any sense of self or of being an individual being seperate from others. Experiencing without analysing. That kinda thing. The thread I linked up there had a good definition of "ego death" from f&b that most folks seemed able to agree on and would be my interpretation of it anyway :)

I think peaking on acid you experience loss of self in certain ways but in others you don't. Even when we're peaking on acid if a stranger came up to you and said "We're all one, now give me your credit card and pin number" you would still have enough sense of self to tell him to fuck off.

What that tells you about the sense of self I don't know.

Umm...are you guys saying that all ego death(or whatever you wish to call it) is that you go so far down the rabbit hole in a trip that you forget you exist?

^ Pretty much yes, Aquabat. For a timeless time anyway... Click on the "Related Reading" linky above for a fuller discussion of the state - it's a slippery beast to pin down and not everybody is convinced it exists, but f&b gives a good definition of it and there's plenty of subjective accounts too. Interesting topic :)

Issy: I think that says that it's a very unstable and fragile state that's easy to snap out of (or be snapped out of). If it were a strong enough state of mind that you weren't snapped out of it so easily then I presume you would be completely unresponsive to the proposed vagabond :)

Incidentally, I think ego death is relatively hard to achieve on LSD alone. I recently had an experience which I would say involved a period of ego death for sure. It happened at the tail end of a 2C-I trip when I added an unknown amount of liquid LSD (I would estimate it at around 400ug) and proceeded to inject around a gram of s-isomer ketamine (no, not all at once).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I don't remember large parts of it but was painting at the time so have a few pictures of what it looks like in there. It looks like a lot of different coloured paints squidged around with fingers apparently. Rather like the paintings you bring home from nursery when you're three years old, in fact. Only less figurative :D

Last edited:
Issy: I think that says that it's a very unstable and fragile state that's easy to snap out of (or be snapped out of). If it were a strong enough state of mind that you weren't snapped out of it so easily then I presume you would be completely unresponsive to the proposed vagabond :)

What do you think to this idea that when you're on a high dose of acid you lose all your ego and become one with the universe tho shambles? I'm familiar with that state but I still think if a nigerian came into my room when I was peaking and said "I have 2 million dollars to invest, please give me your bank details" I would - even at the peak of "ego-loss" - have enough ego left to tell him to go and blow his prick up :)

i watched bugs drink my blood, and didnt stop them, i had so much of it, and they wanted so little.

i'm itching now tho.

Using the phrase "ego loss" to describe the psychedelic experience seems pretty ineffective. Firstly, the word "ego" has multiple definitions - it can refer to self-importance, or in the Freudian sense, a certain function of the unconscious mind. Hence the ambiguity of the phrase.

Also, the effects of psychedelics are highly subjective, so if people make the assumption that tripping hard = ego loss, everyone's going to form their own personal definition of the term.

^That makes sense; the ego being the thing we think we are- hence, it will make personal definitions of itself, generally according to the ego's whims. If that makes sense....I don't think ego and self-confidence are linked, unless the self-confidence is balancing on a precipice of low self-esteem. Then we may try and boost ourselves with either negative thoughts about others, or false assumptions about ourselves. I think ego is simply the delusion/illusion of self. As opposed to the reality of Self.

:)

What do you think to this idea that when you're on a high dose of acid you lose all your ego and become one with the universe tho shambles? I'm familiar with that state but I still think if a nigerian came into my room when I was peaking and said "I have 2 million dollars to invest, please give me your bank details" I would - even at the peak of "ego-loss" - have enough ego left to tell him to go and blow his prick up :)

I think the same applies as the thieving scoundrel mentioned previously: it's a very fragile state of mind and any intrusions from the outside world snap you out of it instantly. To be aware of your surroundings enough to notice a Nigerian in your room would suggest that the ego was still in place even if a lil fuzzy round the edges :)

How is ketamine for ego loss and disruption in your sense of reality temporarily? Is that what the elusive k-hole is? Just another word for ego loss?

Ketamine kan kill egos very effeciently indeed - especially in conjunction with other psyches. Wouldn't say a k-hole was quite the state of true ego-loss (at least as I define it) but it's pretty damn close :)

It will most assuredly disrupt your your sense of reality temporarily though. Oh yes, siree - it does that extremely well =D

So many people have told me ketamine would be my drug of choice, I can't wait to try it. I just hope it doesn't get addictive

Ketamine can be psychologically addictive if not physically. There are a number of BLers who got to the stage of using several grams daily so it can and does happen. In some, it also seems to cause serious bladder problems with excessive use. Most folks get on just fine and have few problems if any though :)