View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego crushing?

Feroc1ty

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I see numerous people mention drugs being ego crushing... What do you exactly mean by that, because I'm a person who really cares about his respect and has kind of a huge ego (can't pass a mirror without commenting myself on how good I look.) Should I stick away from these "ego crushing" drugs, or what's the deal, because I enjoy having a huge self confidence, feels good man, plus helps me pick up chicks :).

^Well- you might find that your ego, in the way your describing it, would dissolve into something either frightening depending on how hard you cling, or you may realise that your need for self respect and self-confidence is actually unneccesary, and you will feel free and liberated. Confidence and ego are seperate; if your deluding yourself into thinking your something that your not, then you might dscover what you really are. If your simply a confident guy- well, that won't change. I have self-confidence, which is slowly growing; but its not based on superficial things like looks or ability; its more based on feeling free to be myself in any situation. When I relied on such things as looks/ability/etc. I often felt the need for confirmtion of those traits. Now, knowing that none of that stuff really matters, I feel no need to have mySELF bolstered by external sources.

That said, I still care about my looks and skills, but I don't let my world revolve around such ephemeral things.

Ego is your system of constructing perspective and identity. OP what you're describing isn't ego, it's being egotistical and delusional. Psychedelics can help you with that too.

For me - it is becoming at one with your surroundings and trip partners. Very hard to explain, but a one of a kind bonding/interrelated egoless feeling

Hey Feroc1ty... take a good strong psychedelic and stand in front of that mirror for a while.

You will get a first hand introduction to your own ego and you can have a conversation with it.

You probably think I'm joking but I'm not.

My advice is to not take psychedelics... not until you really read up and think about it a lot.

Not saying they wouldn't be great for you but going in blind like that can be a bad experience for the uninitiated.

In short... this is one of those questions that answers itself. If you have to ask then roll on past.

Hey guys, I see numerous people mention drugs being ego crushing... What do you exactly mean by that, because I'm a person who really cares about his respect and has kind of a huge ego (can't pass a mirror without commenting myself on how good I look.) Should I stick away from these "ego crushing" drugs, or what's the deal, because I enjoy having a huge self confidence, feels good man, plus helps me pick up chicks :).

haha, everyone gives complicated answers.. in simple terms.. you forget who you are.

that might sound bad, and it could be i guess, depending on the setting I would guess, but the first time I felt that "ego loss" thats infamouse with LSD was the first time (ive only done LSD twice, last night was my second time) and it was pretty cool. I was so aweed by everything I was seeing that I sort of forgot who I was, and that was a trip, I felt like I was something.. yea something... in a mystical forst.. who ate something that made him sick and thats why i was hallucinating... lol no joke, until my buddie called out my name, and I remembered who I was instantly.

Im also a vain person.. yup thats the word budd, vain, and I didnt think I would like LSD to be honest but once I tried it, woooosh. bud its out of this world

dont listen to any of those "yea duuuude take 2 hits for your first tiime man, ive taken 10 hits before at the same time and woooa"

go to a park, or the desert.. i dont know where you live, somewhere out in the open, with another friend whos interested, or someone whos already experienced, I honestly dont think itl matter really, any who and take ONE hit, just ONE hit of acid. if its a thick paper, then maybe half, but ive honestly only seen thin papes... it can be an amazing experience. trust me

Hey Feroc1ty... take a good strong psychedelic and stand in front of that mirror for a while.

You will get a first hand introduction to your own ego and you can have a conversation with it.

You probably think I'm joking but I'm not.

My advice is to not take psychedelics... not until you really read up and think about it a lot.

Not saying they wouldn't be great for you but going in blind like that can be a bad experience for the uninitiated.

wow, I soooo

disagree

with almost everything you said, except the last part, but only if I were talking about shrooms, Acid though? one hit of acid I think is a lot more chill... and easy to comprehend... than a good dose of shrooms... that will surely trip someone... the ... fuck... out.

For me - it is becoming at one with your surroundings and trip partners. Very hard to explain, but a one of a kind bonding/interrelated egoless feeling

yes! its like, your soo astonished by everything your seeing that you forget who you are, I can see what your saying, totally.

I've done LSD around ~10 times, and I've never had anything related to my ego happen... or do I need to move farther down the road of psychedelics, and try DMT, because salvia trip was very... can't really explain it, I simply forgot the whole trip in matter of seconds, and only remembered the last 10 seconds of the trip, along with a very horrible body high that I found very discomforting.

^DMT is completely different to salvia though. Either way, LSD is one of the most powerful, yet certainly not a drug that really demolishes the ego until you reach higher (500-600ug mark) doses. Also the term demolishing is incorrect in any context; as opposed to the ego dying/being destroyed, I think on drugs like DMT or DPT, the ego recedes, or is imposed on by the universal self. It seems to have taken on this "violent"-almost connatation as a lot of people really struggle to hang on when said recession of ego is occurring; I know I have tried with DPT, but eventually I don't even remember "me" and am just pure experience.

^DMT is completely different to salvia though. Either way, LSD is one of the most powerful, yet certainly not a drug that really demolishes the ego until you reach higher (500-600ug mark) doses. Also the term demolishing is incorrect in any context; as opposed to the ego dying/being destroyed, I think on drugs like DMT or DPT, the ego recedes, or is imposed on by the universal self. It seems to have taken on this "violent"-almost connatation as a lot of people really struggle to hang on when said recession of ego is occurring; I know I have tried with DPT, but eventually I don't even remember "me" and am just pure experience.

Oh, actually, I think I'm start to get what you mean, by ego crushing you mean as in you're so into the trip that everything just dissipates around you? Because that's what happened to me on salvia, altho it was very short and uncomfortable.

^No, it's not that everything dissipates around you, it's that you dissipate into everything around you... no ego left, just pure experience, as swilow said.

I think the key thing to remember when discussing this is that there's no such thing as the fucking ego. It's a theory that freud came up with shortly before he died. It's long been discredited as a scientific theory of how the mind works.

To sum up, the "ego" and all talk about it is utter fucking bollocks :)

The effect of a powerful psychedelic is simply the effect of a powerful psychedelic. There's no need to start bringing long discredited ideas of "ego" into it.

Instead of "ego" maybe "self" would cover the same kinda ground then, Issy. It's what I mean when using the term "ego death" - losing any sense of self or of being an individual being seperate from others. Experiencing without analysing. That kinda thing. The thread I linked up there had a good definition of "ego death" from f&b that most folks seemed able to agree on and would be my interpretation of it anyway :)

priority of self might be a better word.

there is a balance to everything, the term ego, as used around here, might have a definition of "holding the image of an unrealistic self at an unbalanced, higher, priority than other things that rightfully should be at a higher priority than the illusion of self."

the ego is a misunderstanding that results in a self image that isnt real, and a self image that is commonly self glorifying. the "ego", as used in this forum, is a form of self amplifying illusion concerning the individual themself. you could say its a mental disorder that everyone has to some degree, because it is the result of the ego that causes a plethora of other "problems" in a persons life and on a larger scale, the world.

the freudian definition might as well be tossed out the window, the word has evolved with the use of psychedelics.

"ego crushing", may or may not happen durring the course of a mind manifesting drug trip. if the persons thoughts are set up to make certain self realizations when manifested then "ego crushing" may be the result. An effect of the drug is thoughtpaterns that are diferent than before, enabling a person to get a diferent self image. comparing this new view to the old view realizations can be made, and an analysis of your own understanding of yourself can be underway. these realizations can be hard to accept for the old self image (because it is and isnt you now) and a struggle ("ego struggle") happens. when the ego gives in to the supreme logic (mislogic?) of the new understanding or understandings that result from the new understnadings or the understandings that resutl from even those etc... it can be said to be an "ego crushing" trip.

bam.

edit: looks like i was in the process of typing this out when shambles posted

You said it better though, IGNVS. Bit early for me - more coffee (and drugs) needed for my brain to get up to speed :D

coffee coffee coffee

i was actually sipping on coffee when i was typing that lol

I think the key thing to remember when discussing this is that there's no such thing as the fucking ego. It's a theory that freud came up with shortly before he died. It's long been discredited as a scientific theory of how the mind works.

To sum up, the "ego" and all talk about it is utter fucking bollocks :)

The effect of a powerful psychedelic is simply the effect of a powerful psychedelic. There's no need to start bringing long discredited ideas of "ego" into it.

I don't use the term ego in the freudian sense- I would say the ego is the voice in front of your true Self. The desires and wishes and hates and loves...all have origins in the "ego". I can't think of a better word for it- maybe s76EFNIZB F, but for now, I'll stick with ego. The part of you that always wants to be better then others, even if by better you are actually being worse. The ego is like the stage where our lives seem to get played, but is actually just a few people in front of the curtain; behind it, is the real Great Show. :)

During my first psychedelic drug experience (2 hits of very very strong lsd) I got the sort of feeling of how small I am in comparison to the rest of the world. Not in a size manner of course, but just generally, how I am one individual compared to the billions in the world. It's hard to explain unless you have actually felt the feeling, its not so much ego crushing as it is humbling.