• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Effexor Withdrawal

MrMoss said:
We are in fact discussing compounds which have been tweaked, trialled on rats then humans over a very short duration working directly on brain chemistry which we [they] have only just begun to understand.

I understand that'll we'll not agree .. Why? because personally I don't believe or trust big pharma and certainly not with this form of experimental chemical.

All this said yes AD's work for some and that's great but it doesn't prevent my concern that what is today's great conquest may be tomorrows big sorrow.

The only thing that i will agree on (although you haven't explicitly mentioned this) is that Anti-depressants are by far and large over prescribed. It's a shame because most people could overcome their situations through meditation, a better diet, and exercise. It's only a very small percentage of those prescribed that truly need to be on the meds for life. Most of these patients will have a long family history of similar cases.

AND after withdrawing from at least 4 different anti-depressants, i cannot stress how important it should be for physicians to tell their patients what it's going to be like to come off. They do try to push you to get on them and then tell you that you simply taper off in a few months, without explaining how bad it's going to be. In fact i think i've only encountered one doctor who actually believed me when i told her how bad the withdraws were from effexor. The others were just like...well, it shouldn't be that bad at all.

The point where we disagree is that of the "experimental" nature of such drugs and their actions. I am a student of neuropsychopharmacology and studying the brain and how drugs interact with it is what i do. But seeing that you're completely unwilling to accept the possibility that you might, in any way, be wrong...i'm not going to waste my time or energy by supplying anymore proof to you. But someday if you feel like learning about how the FDA really works then let me know and i can point you towards some books to read so maybe you could, i don't know, have some "real" information to refer back to.

Thanks for all the posts.

I'm really quite concerned now, also I'm in the UK dont know if that makes a difference but I've not heard of some of the other drugs you've mentioned.

</goes for a little lay down>

The only thing that i will agree on <snip>

Agreed. Although over prescribed is an understatement.

AND after withdrawing from at least 4 different anti-depressants, i cannot stress how important it should be for physicians to tell their patients what it's going to be like to come off. <snip>

Agreed, been there and got the T-Shirt given zero advice going on equally coming off [most importantly Effexor]. It's certainly time MD's and GP's were educated wouldn't you agree?

The point where we disagree is that of the "experimental" nature of such drugs and their actions. I am a student of neuropsychopharmacology and studying the brain and how drugs interact with it is what i do. But seeing that you're completely unwilling to accept the possibility that you might, in any way, be wrong...i'm not going to waste my time or energy by supplying anymore proof to you.

You provided no proof merely opinion. I'm certainly open to being converted by irrefutable facts. The only thing I requested was citation on your statement "Unfortunately, the entire scientific and medical community disagrees and sees your choice of words as a misnomer"

But someday if you feel like learning about how the FDA really works then let me know and i can point you towards some books to read so maybe you could, i don't know, have some "real" information to refer back to.

Smacks of arrogance [or maybe a vested interest ;)] You're attempts to belittle any debate on the subject is worrisome actually you sound like my GP. Curiously while one GP cited the glorious wonderment of Paxil another in the same practise told me that under no circumstance would he ever prescribe Paxil ... conflicting isn't it. So as a student surely there must be some debate on the issue ... or is everybody in complete agreement

bite_size said:
I'm really quite concerned now, also I'm in the UK dont know if that makes a difference but I've not heard of some of the other drugs you've mentioned.

If you feel your ready to discontinue then by all means go for it but obviously talk it through in depth with your GP and research alternative medication (i.e. other AD's). You seem to be fully aware of dis-continuation syndrome. All I can say it ensure your GP is ALSO fully aware and force the issue if necessary for a slow taper (3 months minimum) adjunct or switch to a less potent SSRI's and if possible get a small script of benzodiazapines and Z-Hypnotics to be taken infrequently only as needed. As others have said under no circumstance take the cold turkey route with Effexor as that's a whole world of pain.

theworks said:
They are not by any means "experimental antidepressants" it has been around for 14 years now and there are 17.1 million patients prescribed on effexor. I appreciate your more holistic approach, but know your facts. The action of snri's/ssri's are well known on the brain albeit the long-term (40+ yrs) side-effects are, at this point, theoretical.

You lack in sex drive most likely has nothing whatsoever to do with being off of ssri's or snri's. It's most likely a purely psychological thing, and no, i'm not inferring that it's bullshit, i believe it happens, but not for the reason that you attribute it to. It's most likely due to other drugs you use, because sex drive, on a neurotransmitter level is predominately associated with dopamine, something that remains untouched by the two anti-depressant medications you mention.

And yes, there are certainly people who have real deficiencies in neurotransmitter levels. Although this is something that i believe is more linked to genetics than anything. Most people who truly need ssri's (snri's, what have you) exhibit self-destructive behavior patterns from early childhood on. It's not like people just magically start having deficiency in neurotransmitter levels, without hormonal changes, drug abuse, or a few other exceptions.

Perhaps semantically "experimental" was the improper term to use, I personally believe they should have done many more years of experimention before introducing them to the pharmaceutical industry, thereby allowing anyone with a license to prescribe medicine [and to reap the financial rewards in partnership with the pharmaceutical industry] to what is it now, 200 million Americans? Not to mention the all too common practice of not informing these would-be patients the risks and side effects accurately and completley. Of this I know first-hand, also the practice of not admitting that these drugs are addictive is dowright absurd. The fucker actually argued with me, using vague terms such "discontinuation symptoms" and referring to an atypical atipsychotic (zyprexa? believe to have caused a number of cases of some terrible ailment for many patients) as a mood stabilizer. I was put on this for insomnia due to the effexor, for what reason is beyond me.

theworks, Which AD's have you been stabilized on?

Last edited: