• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Effects of criminalization of coke in Latin America (country specific)

the_void

Bluelighter
My apologies if this has been covered before (if so pls link to thread)

Everybody knows Mexico has been absolutely devastated via the cartels and americas war on drugs.

Can anyone tell me how Latin American countries other than Mexico have been affected by this ? Both producer and non producer countries ? Any books/ reading material about this would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you and happy holidays to everyone

I looked at a map of South America. I know Columbia, Bolivia and peru are producer countries so I guess anything north of there would be affected and countries south of producer counties- like Argentina- would be less affected. Is this correct? Someone here must know something...

I'm getting started on the book Murder CIty Juarez" by Charles Bowden

I'm very surprised at the lack of interest in this topic...

Cocaine is not a big problem in other countries apart from Colombia and Mexico. Perhaps Bolivia and Peru have been suffering a stronger influence of the drug trafficking too.

This problem nonetheless is a fruit of deeper problems, such as corruption etc.

I can speak of Brazil, which has a lot of cocaine but problems with dealers and gangs are concentrated in Rio de Janeiro (political influences) and prisons. Among the producers, there will be a much more pronounced influence however

Thanks so much Jose. Can I ask where in Latin America you live ? Any others want to chip in?

im about halfway through Charles Bodens book and so far it’s a bit boring considering the subject matter is absolutely fascinating . It can be summarized as this ‘Juarez is a very dangerous city ‘

Last edited:
Thanks so much Jose. Can I ask where in Latin America you live ? Any others want to chip in?

im about halfway through Charles Bodens book and so far it’s a bit boring considering the subject matter is absolutely fascinating . It can be summarized as this ‘Juarez is a very dangerous city ‘
I am in Brazil, this dynamic is very complicated man, that are many social and politics aspects supporting drug trafficking, in general, the biggest dealers in Brazil are military forces, senators, big farmers to receive tons of cocaine and then the drugs go to favelas to be sold

I am in Brazil, this dynamic is very complicated man, that are many social and politics aspects supporting drug trafficking, in general, the biggest dealers in Brazil are military forces, senators, big farmers to receive tons of cocaine and then the drugs go to favelas to be sold
Thx for the info. I was afraid before most/all of the continent was destroyed because of this. Sounds like the situations not as dire as I thought

Have you seen the documentary called "killer Ratings" about Wallace Souza and his popular crime show and possible links to cocaine smuggling in Brazil? I have to admit that it was one of the most compelling pieces that I have watched on Netflix. It was captivating. I binge watched it and couldn't believe the soap opera unfolding before my eyes was based on reality. It was shockingly engrossing and put together well. Everyone should check it out, especially if your interested in the effects of the cocaine trade in South America.

I visited Medellin, Colombia and the cocaine/ civil war memorial museum. The people of Medellin were profoundly effected by the cocaine trade and have a very negative view of the substance, users and traffickers due to the violence and destruction they suffered but there is also a large percentage of the population that views the traffickers as Robinhood heroes. There are cocaine and Escobar tours all over the city and his former family homes are landmarked.

Cocaine is extremely easy to get on the street and personal possession is decriminalized.

Last edited:
Have you seen the documentary called "killer Ratings" about Wallace Souza and his popular crime show and possible links to cocaine smuggling in Brazil? I have to admit that it was one of the most compelling pieces that I have watched on Netflix. It was captivating. I binge watched it and couldn't believe the soap opera unfolding before my eyes was based on reality. It was shockingly engrossing and put together well. Everyone should check it out, especially if your interested in the effects of the cocaine trade in South America.

I visited Medellin, Colombia and the cocaine/ civil war memorial museum. The people of Medellin were profoundly effected by the cocaine trade and have a very negative view of the substance, users and traffickers due to the violence and destruction they suffered but there is also a large percentage of the population that views the traffickers as Robinhood heroes. There are cocaine and Escobar tours all over the city and his former family homes are landmarked.

Cocaine is extremely easy to get on the street and personal possession is decriminalized.

Yeah man, in Brazil that kind of thing is common in some places. Organized crime and so on, you should bear in mind that Brazil is a continental country with different ecosystems, some of them are predominantly formed by rivers and forests so that society needs to undergo some adaptations in order to adjust to it. That is a major interference in how violence has been growing as well. The boundaries among Brazil, Bolivia, Peru are forests and rivers, large areas difficult to monitor and there is no interest in doing so because the real dealers are politics and militaries.

Yeah man, in Brazil that kind of thing is common in some places. Organized crime and so on, you should bear in mind that Brazil is a continental country with different ecosystems, some of them are predominantly formed by rivers and forests so that society needs to undergo some adaptations in order to adjust to it. That is a major interference in how violence has been growing as well. The boundaries among Brazil, Bolivia, Peru are forests and rivers, large areas difficult to monitor and there is no interest in doing so because the real dealers are politics and militaries.
That's pretty much how I viewed the situation. It touched on your points in the documentary. So you have seen it(netflix "killer Ratings)??

******* Warning: Spoiler Alert*******
It was unbelievable that he was the one ordering the hits, while simultaneously filming his show and profiting off the ratings of his murdered rivals on the program. He was always first to arrive on the scene and was profiting off the cocaine trade, while pretending to speak out against crime and making money off the popularity and ratings covering street crimes he perpetrated.... Insane!!

Kinda like the Jerry Springer Show mixed with America's Most Wanted on steroids. Only Jerry and John Walsh are mob bosses...lol

A story so grotesque and outrageously, shocking. If it is absolutely true than that guy had some balls and nerve. What a conman.... Do you believe he was guilty of everything he was accused of?

I highly recommend "Killer Ratings" on Netflix to everyone on this site. It's in subtitles but give it a chance and you won't be disappointed. It is one of the most enthralling documentaries I've ever seen. I can't say it enough.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I viewed the situation. It touched on your points in the documentary. So you have seen it(netflix "killer Ratings)??

******* Warning: Spoiler Alert*******
It was unbelievable that he was the one ordering the hits, while simultaneously filming his show and profiting off the ratings of his murdered rivals on the program. He was always first to arrive on the scene and was profiting off the cocaine trade, while pretending to speak out against crime and making money off the popularity and ratings covering street crimes he perpetrated.... Insane!!

Kinda like the Jerry Springer Show mixed with America's Most Wanted on steroids. Only Jerry and John Walsh are mob bosses...lol

A story so grotesque and outrageously, shocking. If it is absolutely true than that guy had some balls and nerve. What a conman.... Do you believe he was guilty of everything he was accused of?

I highly recommend "Killer Ratings" on Netflix to everyone on this site. It's in subtitles but give it a chance and you won't be disappointed. It is one of the most enthralling documentaries I've ever seen. I can't say it enough.

I have not seen yet, actually I had not heard about it before you have mentioned it. the character who inspired the documentary is not famous in Brazil at all nevertheless is a typical case, an ordinary character regarding the way that drug trafficking, politics etc interact with one another.

I have not seen yet, actually I had not heard about it before you have mentioned it. the character who inspired the documentary is not famous in Brazil at all nevertheless is a typical case, an ordinary character regarding the way that drug trafficking, politics etc interact with one another.

You should check it out. He had his own daytime crime show.

Watching show now thanks

Lmk what you think. If I remember correctly it's 5-7 episodes so it will take you a bit but it really starts moving by the 2nd or so episode.
Wow what a guy. This is way better the book I'm reading by Charles Bowden. I'm glad I live in Canada where there is no corruption like this.

I told a friend about this . She says "you're kidding right ? This is fiction?" Unfortunately it's a documentary...

Hi everybody while we’re on Netflix check out “the three deaths of marisela Escobedo’. It’s about a Mexican woman whose daughter is killed by a cartel member and the police won’t help.

i know this story from “chasing the scream first and last days of the war on drugs” by johann hari (awesome book)

Thanks for the recommendation dude, I've been checking this show out and it's great. I especially love all the Brazilian names like "Moa", "Bebetino" etc. Some of them are just fun to say! :LOL:

So much stuff in the show is so strange and amusing, like his show "Canal Livre" which was like a bad acid trip or something from what they showed of it

Also, there are some fat people in Brazil! I realize the irony of me saying this as an American but damn, there are some big bellies on that show! They're eating good in the Amazon basin. :LOL: Big bellies, funny-sounding names, sleazy underworld/political corruption/drug trade storylines & a weird Brazilian show that's a combo of "Cops" and "Jerry Springer"...what more could you want...

real stuff going on

Can you translate dois e tres of those ? Obrigado. Nao falo Portugues.

I speak French and Spanish so the text on no 2 is “guns in the middle of the crowd” I don’t understand what the woman is saying though

Last edited:
There's corruption in every fucking country... some countries are more discreet than others and some just don't give a damn. Just look at the documentary Cocaine Cowboys and just so you know.. the CIA was one of the first to bring coke into the USA.