• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

(Edit) Safe to use LSD/Shrooms while on Antianxiety Meds?

Yeetdruggie

Bluelighter
So my psychiatrist has been experimenting with putting me on antidepressants and antipsychotics for the last couple months and I was wondering if there are any anti anxiety meds that interfere minimally with the effects of LSD or shrooms? I know, I know, most antidepressants function as SSRIs which increase the chance of Serotonin Syndrome with LSD/shroom use. However I am hoping to get off meds (or at least SSRIs) so that there aren’t issues severely dangerous potentials to using LSD/shrooms.

Thus far I’ve been put on Prozac and Abilify but I don’t like either. The only positive to either has been my lessened anxiety to the point that I can calmly respond in stressful situations and actually defend myself without getting upset that I can’t articulate myself. The Prozac induced manic symptoms because I may have symptoms of Bipolar 2 and it caused me to feel super annoyed with everyone, however the anti anxiety benefits were great and I could sleep without auditory/visual disturbances and paranoia. The Abilify has only really helped me stay somewhat calm but I’m extremely drowsy all the time and it hasn’t helped with my auditory/visual distortions and has put my sleep habits back to what they were prior to meds (horrible).

I’ve seen some people talk about using lexapro as a manager for BPD and anxiety whilst still using LSD with minimal issues outside of some bad trips, but I truthfully don’t want to be on meds at all. My therapist, psychiatrist and other just think meds paired with therapy would work best.

NMDA antagonists. But when reading the title I thought you were looking for something to specifically avoid the anxiety while tripping which is something I am looking for and there it's certainly NMDA antagonists. They tend to be decent antidepressants and anxiolytics too when used medically but these days it's still very hard to find a doc even just knowing of that they are used clinically and even harder to get a script for K (unfortunately the only one which is prescribable).

SSRIs can and do make you unable to trip off any serotonergic psychedelics and this effect if long lasting. The same for antipsychotics unfortunately and too for benzodiazepines in another way. Strangely things like pregabalin interfere the least.

NMDA antagonists. But when reading the title I thought you were looking for something to specifically avoid the anxiety while tripping which is something I am looking for and there it's certainly NMDA antagonists. They tend to be decent antidepressants and anxiolytics too when used medically but these days it's still very hard to find a doc even just knowing of that they are used clinically and even harder to get a script for K (unfortunately the only one which is prescribable).

SSRIs can and do make you unable to trip off any serotonergic psychedelics and this effect if long lasting. The same for antipsychotics unfortunately and too for benzodiazepines in another way. Strangely things like pregabalin interfere the least.
Thank you for sharing, I will look into those! Also thanks for letting me know about the title, I revised it so hopefully my inquiry is coming across a bit more clearly.

SSRIs won't cause serotonin syndrome from psychs. You simply won't get any effects, because LSD, shrooms, etc. are serotonin modulators (not releasers i.e. MDMA, which would in fact be dangerous) and if your receptors are blocked by SSRIs, they cannot get into your receptors and cause their effects. So it's not dangerous, just an absolute waste of time/money.

If you're on SSRIs, just give up psychs. Maybe if you get back off them someday, you can trip again. It's not a matter of safety, SSRIs just won't let you experience any effects from psychedelics.

SSRIs won't cause serotonin syndrome from psychs. You simply won't get any effects, because LSD, shrooms, etc. are serotonin modulators (not releasers i.e. MDMA, which would in fact be dangerous) and if your receptors are blocked by SSRIs, they cannot get into your receptors and cause their effects. So it's not dangerous, just an absolute waste of time/money.

If you're on SSRIs, just give up psychs. Maybe if you get back off them someday, you can trip again. It's not a matter of safety, SSRIs just won't let you experience any effects from psychedelics.
I know multiple people who have taken psychedelic drugs while on SSRIs and we had a full psychedelic experience.

The first time I ever took LSD I was on prozac and it did not weaken, blunt, or stop the effects of the acid at all. I had ego death, an out of body experience, very spiritual experiences, saw lots of fractals-so many that my vision was obscured by them, and objects melting, lost the ability to hear during the peak, and I have no idea how many ug/mics this was but I thought all acid was this strong and did not take it again until I was 19 and had tripped on shrooms.

But for the OP if you take anti-anxiety meds, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and are manic, bipolar, or hypomanic do not trip. No good will come from it. Stay safe.

MDMA on SSRIS are totally safe in even in the large ecasty doses it just wont effect them at all and is neuroprotective vs the mdma.

MDMA on SSRIS are totally safe in even in the large ecasty doses it just wont effect them at all and is neuroprotective vs the mdma.
I did not know that. It was my assumption that releasing while blocking the receptors would be inherently conducive to serotonin syndrome. I do not understand the neurochemistry behind that then.

It was my assumption that releasing while blocking the receptors would be inherently conducive to serotonin syndrome

Yes it's both, you don't feel mdma etc and it can cause serotonin syndrome, I had the start of it from sertraline and coke

Prozac and Abilify don't help anxiety. They are anti-depressant and anti-psychotic. The latter might lessen psychedelic effects. I doubt there is any danger but do you really want to trip when you are depressed? I take benzos everyday and it kind of makes a trip less strong, and often I drink beer with cola along with the stuff. My last trips were on eth-lad, 2c-b-fly and now methalllylescaline. I'll probably take some clonazolam if i find the come up annoying......

I'll probably take some clonazolam if i find the come up annoying

Won't it dull the trip? I'm worried about tripping because of that bloody come up anxiety that has gave me a bad trip so I've hardly bothered tripping because of this

I've thought about taking benzo on the come up but I've took 50mg vallies to stop a trip before that made me anxious on the come up so I freaked out and took vallies lol

50mg diazepam?? Such overkill =D
Benzos will dull the trip. I can't recall a trip where I wasn't at least a little anxious at some point, it's part of tripping imo. Working through the anxiety is much more valuable than dulling it with benzos, but it depends on the person and context obviously. It's probably good to have some benzos around though.

Won't it dull the trip? I'm worried about tripping because of that bloody come up anxiety that has gave me a bad trip so I've hardly bothered tripping because of this

I've thought about taking benzo on the come up but I've took 50mg vallies to stop a trip before that made me anxious on the come up so I freaked out and took vallies lol

Only dulls the trip in a minor way, With enough trippy stuff it doesn't block or cancel the trip, just making things a bit more smooth in my opinion.

We are running a survey study on this topic to understand this type of interaction more clearly. If you've taken mushrooms at the same time as an antidepressant or within two years of stopping we would greatly appreciate your participation in this short survey!

---------
Researchers at Johns Hopkins are conducting a brief online survey about the effects of psilocybin in people who have used a moderate to high dose of psilocybin mushrooms (also called “magic mushrooms”) while taking an antidepressant medication, or within two years of stopping such treatment. Psilocybin is a compound that occurs naturally in certain species of mushrooms, and is currently being studied for its possible antidepressant effects. However, people who are currently using or have recently used antidepressants may react differently to psilocybin, and this interaction is not well understood. Your participation in this research study can help improve our understanding of how psilocybin works in people who have used antidepressant medications.
www.HopkinsPsychedelic.org/adsurvey

Protocol: IRB00254819, Principal Investigator: Roland R. Griffiths, Ph.D.

More info on our post in the Research forum at https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...locybin-mushrooms-and-antidepressants.892589/

Good morning.

I work in a hospital pharmacy. Here antipsychotic medications are used to combat psychedelic-induced bad trips (very bad) when benzodiazepines don't work. I do not understand what benefit there may be in taking a drug that can easily cause the effects for which you are medicated.
I believe that psychedelics can be helpful in understanding certain traumas or alleviating post-traumatic stress (there is scientific literature to support it), but I would be very cautious if I did not have a therapeutic plan outlined to live the experience. And still it would be a potential risk to exacerbate negative symptoms.

Each substance is different and has its own peculiarities, it is difficult to determine to what extent you put your life at risk when it comes to mixing such complex drugs, it is necessary to know many details and take certain precautions. LSD is known to be especially intricate with brain chemistry, therefore it is not a good idea.

I personally cannot recommend you take any psychedelic. From my own experience, psychedelics offer better experiences to people who are having a good time in their life.

Last edited:
So my psychiatrist has been experimenting with putting me on antidepressants and antipsychotics for the last couple months and I was wondering if there are any anti anxiety meds that interfere minimally with the effects of LSD or shrooms? I know, I know, most antidepressants function as SSRIs which increase the chance of Serotonin Syndrome with LSD/shroom use. However I am hoping to get off meds (or at least SSRIs) so that there aren’t issues severely dangerous potentials to using LSD/shrooms.

Thus far I’ve been put on Prozac and Abilify but I don’t like either. The only positive to either has been my lessened anxiety to the point that I can calmly respond in stressful situations and actually defend myself without getting upset that I can’t articulate myself. The Prozac induced manic symptoms because I may have symptoms of Bipolar 2 and it caused me to feel super annoyed with everyone, however the anti anxiety benefits were great and I could sleep without auditory/visual disturbances and paranoia. The Abilify has only really helped me stay somewhat calm but I’m extremely drowsy all the time and it hasn’t helped with my auditory/visual distortions and has put my sleep habits back to what they were prior to meds (horrible).

I’ve seen some people talk about using lexapro as a manager for BPD and anxiety whilst still using LSD with minimal issues outside of some bad trips, but I truthfully don’t want to be on meds at all. My therapist, psychiatrist and other just think meds paired with therapy would work best.
If you are on anti-psychotic drugs or have bipolar disorder or mania, do not trip or take psychedelic drugs as it will just fuck up your brain chemistry and going off of your meds is a bad idea.

Maybe have a look here:

I have been wondering the same with my medication. Since being on Mirtazapine I am unsure what the effect this would have if I took LSD or shrooms, I have tried to look into it but honestly my mind fogs over with all the different receptors and what is safe and isn't, I think Mirtazapine is a NDMA?

I don't intend to trip anytime soon as I have been seeing a lot of positive effects while on Mirtazapine but if they are safe to be on and also trip on LSD or Shrooms then I'd be delighted. Any advice?