Ecstasy use and craving (Phase 1)

akdavis

Bluelighter
Hello!!!

You have the opportunity to win a $50.00 gift card by participating in a research study. You need to be an individual who self-discloses as an “ecstasy-user” who is between the ages of 18 and 65.

If you wish to participate, please click the following link: NO LONGER ACTIVE

This research explores the subjective experience of craving for ecstasy as well as other characteristics of the ecstasy using experience. This research is performed in conjunction with Bowling Green State University.

You will be asked to complete questionnaires that will require approximately 20 minutes of your time. These questionnaires will ask for information about you, your experience with ecstasy and other drugs/alcohol, and you may be asked to view a short video during this study.
Your participation in this project will provide useful information on this topic and will further the research in the field. Participation in this study is strictly voluntary. Your responses will be confidential and your email will be retained separately solely for the purposes of entering you in the prize drawing.

Qualified participants, who complete all requested measures, are eligible for the selected prize. Eight randomly chosen participants will win a $50.00 E-Gift Card. You will be notified of this at the end of the study.

All questionnaires are anonymous; the data collected in this project will be carefully protected and will be used for research purposes only. If you have and questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Phase one recruiting takes place from 8.15.2011 to 9.15.2011 or until we have 150 participants.

Thank you,

Alan Kooi Davis
Telephone: (419) 372-4503
Email: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Please PM me for address to send XTC too for trial. I'll participate no problem.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you for looking at the post and participating if you met criteria! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Alan:D

Hi Alan, thanks for posting your study. Just checking, are you happy for people from anywhere in the world to participate?

Hello!
Yes anyone in the world can participate. I just ask that they are able read and understand English since the study iOS written in that language. But other than that, anyone can participate.

Thanks!

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for posting your study. Just checking, are you happy for people from anywhere in the world to participate?

Thanks to everyone who had already participated! We have had a great turn out but could still use more people. If you know someone or you yourself have some time, please take the time to help with this study!

Thanks,
Alan

<please read our Guidelines prior to posting. Thanks. - OverDone>

yes the survey stopped early for me, too. im guessing because it is set to look for info on heavy users, so this is actually a good thing !

when i first took MDMA i had cravings for months after, but i didn't have access to any more ! The cravings eventually disappeared. i have access to MDMA nowadays but don't care for it

Said I wasn't eligible too! I thought I met the criteria but I guess not

same here...

i guess you'll have to take ecstasy at least once a month. so a lot of regular responsible users aren't allowed :(

same here...

i guess you'll have to take ecstasy at least once a month. so a lot of regular responsible users aren't allowed :(

This study was talked a lot about in ED... it was eventually taken down.

As for the criteria, he wants heavy users of MDMA, not the responsible ones...

I think its broken. I tried every possible combo (except the number of times in the past 6 months i just chose those in increments) and it still says not eligible regardless if you've taken 100 in 6months and daily or you've taken it 6times in 6months and monthly. This guy really trying to get a masters this way? I mean no disrespect by the way, I just dont understand. Is it closed? All the information we get is "Not Eligible" not a reasonwhy we arnt

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. When we get a chance we will contact the researcher and determine what is going on!

An email has been sent to the student and his supervisor requesting more information and a response to the concerns raised in this thread.

I've now had an email chat with Alan and have read the previous thread in ED: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/585756

I'm quite concerned at what has happened here. A legitimate researcher - who was clearly trying very hard to engage with Bluelighters, much harder than most of the researchers who use Bluelight to advertise their studies - was basically shut down in the ED thread and the thread was closed.

If I had known it was even there, I would have moved it over to DS immediately - had no idea there were two threads on the go.

Here are the researcher's responses to the concerns raised:
1. I was interested in heavy end problematic ecstasy use as craving for ecstasy. So people may not have been eligible because they are responsible users.

2. Once an IP address is deemed not eligible it doesn't matter what combination of info they try because the study site wouldn't let them participate at that point.

3. I understand that many people use ecstasy in a responsible way. However, as a researcher and clinician, what I am interested in are the people coming in to treatment to get help because of their problematic use and inability to moderate their use or abstain from using.

4. To address the question about legitimacy.
I am a doctoral student and all of my clinical research focuses on substance use and misuse in some fashion or another. Im not just doing this for a class. I am doing this as my life's work and through a University. Also, I worked for five years as a substance abuse clinician and am a licensed counselor in that field. I believe very strongly that substance users need to have people advocating for research that dispels the negative myths about substances and the moralistic nature of those myths. I hope that members of the forum understand that. Perhaps they don't fit the criteria and perhaps the other forum didn't understand/agree with my study....but my intentions are to be an advocate and take what I learn to show the real side of ecstasy use...nothing more.

So, basically, if you are not eligible the first time - the survey does not allow you to try and 'make up' data in order to be eligible. Makes sense.

In any case, Alan is now writing up the results and will let us know when he is finished.

We really should remember that just because a research project focuses on heavy use does not mean it is denying the existence of low-level use. It usually just means that the research question is concerned with heavy use, rather than light use.

I think it is really important that we treat our researchers with respect, especially those who make the effort to engage with us.

So, basically, if you are not eligible the first time - the survey does not allow you to try and 'make up' data in order to be eligible. Makes sense.

In any case, Alan is now writing up the results and will let us know when he is finished.

We really should remember that just because a research project focuses on heavy use does not mean it is denying the existence of low-level use. It usually just means that the research question is concerned with heavy use, rather than light use.

I think it is really important that we treat our researchers with respect, especially those who make the effort to engage with us.

Thank you for clearing all that up :)

I knew he had good intentions, cant wait to see the results! More studies like this are needed IMO, especially with the popularity of ecstasy these days

Thank you for clearing all that up :)

I knew he had good intentions, cant wait to see the results! More studies like this are needed IMO, especially with the popularity of ecstasy these days

You're welcome. I'm glad I recontacted the researcher who was a bit scared off Bluelight after what happened in the other thread...