• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Easier to taper off of ER or IR opiates?

BWG707

Bluelighter
Title pretty much sums it up. Is it easier to taper off of ER- 15mg MS Contin or IR- 10/325 Norco? Or possibly use both to taper? Any feedback is very much appreciated. Current dosage is usually 2 to 2.5 10/325 Norcos per day for over a year.

Hey @BWG707 :) Damn, you've been here at BL a long-ass time. A similar period of time to yours truly, the 33-year old geezer known as Keif' Richards to the world and Sir Biggis McDikkis to family and close friends. I also have a drag queen persona, Quief Richards. Quief's specialty is the reinterpretation of Celine Dion's early catalog through the lens of Norwegian Black Metal Quief's work has been hailed by critics as "a cosmic abomination" and "What Enya would sound like if she were in psychosis from a chronic Methamphetamine addiction while two sick cats are having rough sex barely within earshot".

To get serious, I would not say one is easier than the other. I feel that some people prefer a short, intense withdrawal, while others prefer a milder but longer withdrawal. People often use the phrase "ripping the bandaid off quick" in regard to withdrawal, though I don't feel this is an accurate way of looking at it. Once a bandaid is off, it's off. There is no danger of the bandaid spontaneously reapplying itself. I say this to a lot of people regarding the quick, brazen attempts at withdrawal: you can have amazing intentions yet still be setting yourself up for failure.

My opinion is that a longer, milder withdrawal is almost always preferable. I believe it's easier and ultimately leads to a better chance of success for most people.

Your usage is ~25mg Hydrocodone per day. You're not exactly an intravenous Fentanyl addict ;) This will work in your favor. Everything is relative though and the process is never easy for anyone, however, I feel conficdent saying that your case is very hopeful, possible and I dare say probable. You are approaching this issue at a relatively low dosage which tells me you are a fairly responsible person. If you make a plan and stick to it, this can all be accomplished.

If you want help figuring out the taper, just let me know here and we will figure it out. For right now though, you have my answer to your initial question.

I also have a drag queen persona, Quief Richards. Quief's specialty is the reinterpretation of Celine Dion's early catalog through the lens of Norwegian Black Metal Quief's work has been hailed by critics as "a cosmic abomination" and "What Enya would sound like if she were in psychosis from a chronic Methamphetamine addiction while two sick cats are having rough sex barely within earshot".

You need to quit drugs, Keif, seriously.
Just say NO

( to the OP: I am sorry, I don't know about hydro as it doesn't exist in most euro countries, but ER formulations or long lasting opiates are easier to taper but, when it comes to detox, IR wds are allways shorter. Maybe you could taper the MS to a minimum and then jump from a small IR hydrocodone dosage?)

Hey @BWG707 :) Damn, you've been here at BL a long-ass time. A similar period of time to yours truly, the 33-year old geezer known as Keif' Richards to the world and Sir Biggis McDikkis to family and close friends. I also have a drag queen persona, Quief Richards. Quief's specialty is the reinterpretation of Celine Dion's early catalog through the lens of Norwegian Black Metal Quief's work has been hailed by critics as "a cosmic abomination" and "What Enya would sound like if she were in psychosis from a chronic Methamphetamine addiction while two sick cats are having rough sex barely within earshot".

To get serious, I would not say one is easier than the other. I feel that some people prefer a short, intense withdrawal, while others prefer a milder but longer withdrawal. People often use the phrase "ripping the bandaid off quick" in regard to withdrawal, though I don't feel this is an accurate way of looking at it. Once a bandaid is off, it's off. There is no danger of the bandaid spontaneously reapplying itself. I say this to a lot of people regarding the quick, brazen attempts at withdrawal: you can have amazing intentions yet still be setting yourself up for failure.

My opinion is that a longer, milder withdrawal is almost always preferable. I believe it's easier and ultimately leads to a better chance of success for most people.

Your usage is ~25mg Hydrocodone per day. You're not exactly an intravenous Fentanyl addict ;) This will work in your favor. Everything is relative though and the process is never easy for anyone, however, I feel conficdent saying that your case is very hopeful, possible and I dare say probable. You are approaching this issue at a relatively low dosage which tells me you are a fairly responsible person. If you make a plan and stick to it, this can all be accomplished.

If you want help figuring out the taper, just let me know here and we will figure it out. For right now though, you have my answer to your initial question.

Thanks for the feedback. I have tapered before. I tapered off methadone pills and toward the end I used hydrocodone in small dosages slowly tapering off of them. It worked well and the discomfort was relatively mild; although it did take a long time. To be clear I’m not taking any MS Contin now I just have a decent supply hence why i was wondering if they might help in any way to make my taper as mild as possibly. And yes I’ve been around Bluelight for a while. I don’t post much anymore but still visit regularly. If I see any posts that I think I can add anything of value to I’ll post but there are many members here that have much more expertise and experience than myself. Thanks again for your reply, if you have anything else to add please do.

Hey @BWG707 :)

I think there is definitely an appropriate time and place for both long-acting and short-acting drugs. For instance, I take Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) and because of the formulation, I really only have the option to take 12-14 hours' worth of Amphetamine. Today is my day off from work. I really only wanted to take a single dose of 4-6 hours, do my laundry, clean my room and then relax. I don't really have that option, which is kind of a drag.

For you with your tapering, I can see how, toward the end of a long-acting taper (Methadone) it seems easier to use short-acting Opioids (Hydrocodone) to manage the last of the symptoms. The short-acting drugs provide you with a little more freedom in how you medicate. I think the process you have described here makes sense if you can remain disciplined and not "reach for one more" to top yourself off.

IR is quick and over fast in 1.5 weeks if you can sweat at home with Clonidine 0.1mg, Gabapentin 300mg X 3-5 daily, and low dose Diazepam 2mg morning and night....for 5 days max

Tapering down ER tramadol was much more "comfortable" than tapering IR. Other ones...yes, quitting with ER formulation is better probably.

i have found that tapering IR oxycodone is easier for me than the OP oxycodones -- the er means i have constant plasma levels -- especially as the dose gets low, time without opioids in the body is important. Im tapering oxycodone at the moment -- i get OPs, extract them in coca-cola so i have nice IR shots. i can chop them down with a razor and weigh with a milligram scale, so just doing a bit at a time.