• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Ear Candling

I've been an earwax sufferer all my life, and I recently solved the problem. I was going to make a whole thread on it, but here goes:

Ear candles, asian ear wax scoops, specially formulated earwax removers, hydrogen peroxide, vinnegar. These are all supposed to help and they all do to an extent. The problem is that earwax constantly forms and gets built up, and the best of these methods (h202, vinnegar) are uncomfortable and time consuming. If you really have an earwax problem they don't help.

The solution is a baby-booger-sucker/nasal aspirator they sell for a few bucks at a pharmacy. They're usually blue bulb like things that you can squirt water with.

Just squirt it in your ear with clean hot water when you're showering. As long as you keep your head upright it's impossible to get water stuck in your ear, and after about a week all the shit in there will be hydrated enough that the hairs which are supposed to take care of the wax naturally will start to do their job.

Gross part ///

Big globs will start to come out of your ears during the day, and there will be a leaky discharge of watery wax. Eventually, for me, little tubes of weird dead skin looking stuff started to come out of my bad ear. It was like a nightmare. But my hearing improved soooo drastically. I had assumed I was going deaf in that ear for the past few years, now regular life sounds like I'm on ecstasy.

Three months later, and I feel like I finally have normal ears. I still squirt them out 2-3 times a week, but nothing ever comes out– it's just to keep them at a good humidity. It was surprising how easy it was to do, after all the bad advice I've had from doctors, friends, and family my whole life. The trick was just a very regular application of warm moisture.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to limit the volume of your music devices and to wear hearing protection in noisy environments!

I've been an earwax sufferer all my life, and I recently solved the problem. I was going to make a whole thread on it, but here goes:

Ear candles, asian ear wax scoops, specially formulated earwax removers, hydrogen peroxide, vinnegar. These are all supposed to help and they all do to an extent. The problem is that earwax constantly forms and gets built up, and the best of these methods (h202, vinnegar) are uncomfortable and time consuming. If you really have an earwax problem they don't help.

The solution is a baby-booger-sucker/nasal aspirator they sell for a few bucks at a pharmacy. They're usually blue bulb like things that you can squirt water with.

Just squirt it in your ear with clean hot water when you're showering. As long as you keep your head upright it's impossible to get water stuck in your ear, and after about a week all the shit in there will be hydrated enough that the hairs which are supposed to take care of the wax naturally will start to do their job.

Gross part ///

Big globs will start to come out of your ears during the day, and there will be a leaky discharge of watery wax. Eventually, for me, little tubes of weird dead skin looking stuff started to come out of my bad ear. It was like a nightmare. But my hearing improved soooo drastically. I had assumed I was going deaf in that ear for the past few years, now regular life sounds like I'm on ecstasy.

Three months later, and I feel like I finally have normal ears. I still squirt them out 2-3 times a week, but nothing ever comes out– it's just to keep them at a good humidity. It was surprising how easy it was to do, after all the bad advice I've had from doctors, friends, and family my whole life. The trick was just a very regular application of warm moisture.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to limit the volume of your music devices and to wear hearing protection in noisy environments!

Thanks for your input! I don't personally have *too much* ear wax but I certainly have enough to the point where I'd be interested in trying your method. However my fiancee has more than normal and it's annoyed her too, so I'll have to share this with her.

Once again, thanks for the subjective report!

^ i think i have normal wax build up...

the gross part is gross im afraid of "globs of shit and leaky discharge coming out your ears" and other aspects of that.

i see alot of people on a daily basis.

I dunno.. I don't have a "DEVICE" but i just put my ear up to the shower head and run my outter ear area

...Qtips, but most people are surprisingly eager to jam them into their ears even though they can actually jam the wax further into the canal...or if you're really not careful, puncture an ear drum.

Screw up your ears and you can screw up your whole day. Just have your doctor clean out your ears the next time you go in for a checkup. They'll use water jets to do it. Not the most pleasant thing, but safer.

Getting your ears syringed is nice!! jets of warm water - it feels super odd hehe.

But I dunno man, ear candling really get a lot of wax out your ear AND they are very relaxing..it's also quite funny when you hear it working - it crackles as it pulls wax out your ear.

Q-tips I use but a lot more carefully these days - coz as Kiwi said you can quite easily push the wax further into your ear!

Gross part ///

Thank you for that!!! I have tons of wax, and I think I'll try this.

Why does the syringe work better than putting your ear up against a stream of water in the shower?

And how long do you do it for in the shower? And do you use shower water?

ear candles are 100% BUNK,don't waste your money. I've had earwax buildup for years, ONLY thing that does a good job is hot water blasted into the ear w/an ear syringe, I have had to go to the doc/ER to have them cleaned a few time, it is much easier for some one else to do it. Had some big chunkers come out of the feels great to get the presssure back to normal........

i dont really get it. i see signs for it all over midtown manhattan, and assume anything with advertisements in that area is very expensive bullshit.

also, why on earth would you want to remove earwax? thats one of your body's natural defenses.

next think i know, removing eyelids will become popular...

@ rhythmSpring, I use one of these

because I can angle it to get a satisfying flush of my in any direction without a hassle. The unaided shower would work if you can angle your head with finesse and don't mind the loud water was slapping your ear, but for me it would be impossible without my baby-booger-sucker. I use the water right out of the head, and squirt each ear three times or so.

Been doing it since I was little. I'm perfectly fine. Oh well. :p
Of course, one shouldn't stick it in too FAR and exercise some caution and all that. Common sense.
Most everybody I know does that here....maybe it's an Asian thing;)
It may not be for EVERYBODY!

Very true. Cotton buds neeed a disclaimer on the side so the company can avoid being sued by foolish people who shove them too far.

Heh your post made me laugh.

I know WAY too many people who actually believe in and swear by "alternative medicine" and homeopathy for some pretty serious diseases and conditions.

And they might. The power of the mind and the power of placebo is a great thing indeed. Whether you use homeopathy, sorcery, faith healing, or a stage magic to heal, it all fails to do one thing....

Stand up to the double blind test that is the scientific gold standard.

I'll take science and results that can be demonstrated over anecdotal tall tales any day, thanks!