• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [DXM Subthread] Extraction

Can you store pure DXM-powder long term (years)?

If so, how? Airtight, dry, inert, freezer...?

I tried an extraction last year about this time but gave up when I ran into a problem. The ammonia I was using had a surfactant in it and as I didn't know what that was and no one else knew at the time I quit. Now I would like to do it again.

Does anyone know if this is a problem or where I can have more luck with another ammonia brand? I would really like to have some success with this. I'm willing to Try another method as well if there are any reccomendations. I'm using the ammonia/naphtha/robo dm method.

a surfactant [soap] is a problem because it will make your naptha and water layers miscible so you can never separate them.

find 'janitorial strength' ammonia or use lye instead, but you will have to carefully add lye so you don't make the solution too basic (and destroy your yield)

Significant enough to mention that even though everyone says no CCC because of the CPM, hear me out...I was thinking that since 1 pill = 4mg CPM, 30mg DXM Hbr that the small amount of CPM may be the red coating that comes off if you've ever gotten them wet. I then saw a single post regarding washing the coating off and decided to try it. I used very hot running water and rinsed off all the red coating, put in a glass and dosed w/ water. I had used to use CCC and this trip was definitely just DXM as I am very experienced with the substance. I have reason to believe that all or possibly just most of the CPM is gone with this method, but I am not a chemist so this should probably be further investigated by someone with the knowledge to assess this 'tek' before people actually do this. Don't try this if you don't know what you're doing...CPM is dangerous in large dosages. This may reduce harm since many people may well fuck up extractions and leave solvents whereas this seems easier.

Last edited:
hello there.

anyone lurking this thread with knowledge please respond to this.

im experienced with A/B DXM freebase salt extractions. ive used the 'single phase acid/base extraction' erowid tek by william white in the DXM FAQ many times and have a 95% understanding about how to do it and get good yields (ie. white crystals with all solvent disolved off, very dry crystals, strong effects, etc.).

so, to get to the point, heh.

the major grey area in the tek is about how much NaOH to basify the syrup once you've washed inactives out.

(# Add one tablespoon (15ml) of sodium hydroxide solution to the two-liter bottle. You should see a rapid formation of a milky precipitate. Swirl the bottle gently to mix the syrup evenly, and the precipitate should redissolve (because there's not enough base yet).
# Repeat the above step, until the precipitate doesn't redissolve with swirling. The entire solution should be cloudy (stir well to make sure the base is evenly distributed).
# Add one more tablespoon (15ml) of sodium hydroxide solution to the bottle. )

OBVIOUS FLAWS/GROUNDS TO CONFUSE ME

~ the tek says to create a basified DH20 solution with ONE TEASPOON of NaOH and one cup of DH20. this already seems kind of weak to me to basify all that syrup.
~ then it says add more NaOH solution until 'precipitate doesn't redissolve with swirling.' ok makes sense, it will be cloudy when its fully basified. got it.

so basically (PUNNY), if im using a larger amount of syrup gunk for an extraction, lets say 4 8 oz bottles so 32 oz total, i would want to make a STRONGER base dh20 mix, to basify all the syrup...

i think i may have answered my own question but im still going to post ~~~~

peace

a surfactant [soap] is a problem because it will make your naptha and water layers miscible so you can never separate them.

find 'janitorial strength' ammonia or use lye instead, but you will have to carefully add lye so you don't make the solution too basic (and destroy your yield)

I thought so. I've been having an extremely difficult time finding the correct ammonia and as I said, have been looking for over a year. Not having much luck online either. I may have found some yesterday but I'm not to hopeful of it. No surfactant and only ingrediants were ammoniom hydroxide and soft water, whatever that means. When shaken, it produced bubbles that looked like suds but also like regular air bubbles. Can't be sure though. I did take some crappy pictures if it'll help. Just wish someone would point me in the right direction.

I'm not to keen on lye to extract this. I could use a different tek but not sure which one is easy and cheap. If it helps, I plan on doing a few other extractions of other chemicles. Maybe I can buy similar ingrediants?

Last edited:
That does sound really easy. I have all the materials except the NaOH, syrup and mask. Hopeully I can find the mask and NaOH locally. That's been my problem with the ammonia.

So I was reading about the Delsym Water Extraction, could one follow up on this with hcl to convert the polistirex? Wouldn't that be way safer than fracking around with naptha & ammonia?*

*Spaceroach is not a scientist, or a doctor, or anyone else that may use their brain for a living. His knowledge of chemistry consists of what little information gleaned through a drug fog during Grade 11 science class over a decade ago - ie. "things are made of atoms". Always take Spaceroach with a grain of salt.

Giving the a/b extraction a try, and using 3 molar NaOH as base and diethyl ether as the non polar solvent.

Just wondering a few things before i start my first extraction.

1. So for one bottle (600mg of DXM.HBR) youd need 1.703x10^-3 mol to nuetralize the acid?
would a more dilute base be recommended or just as long as the its enough to neutralize.
2.Would excess base react with the DXM and would it stay in the aqueous (syrup) or organic (ether) layers?
3.Due to diethyl ethers slight water solubility, would allowing a longer time for the layers to form help with the yield? Or will the layers stay slightly indistinct?
4.How much diethyl ether per batch?
5.Would multiple ether washes help with yield?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Okay, i've extracted dxm a few times, and some other things.

the first time I tried to extract dxm with ammonia it didn't work cuz i used CLEAR AMMONIA from walmart but it really has surfactants. The surfactants will cause an emulsion that you cannot seperate. I use janitorial strength ammonia from ace hardware, it has no surfactants is just 10% ammonia which does not foam at all when shaken. I have used this ammonia to extract dxm many times, I have kept it as a freebase as well as making the HCL salt of dxm. I have gotten freebase snow white kindof a waxy powder...the hcl was usually offwhite crystals but can burn easily and turn yellowish if you use the oven to evaporate the HCL/water.

you could use NaOH for your base (its certainly strong enough) as long as the syrup doesn't have guafenesin...i have heard sodium carbonate works too but cannot say with certainty that carbonate works. I know ammonia works from personal experience, and i know NaOH would work.

As for you questions:

1. i don't think it has to be that complicated with molar equations and shit...i'm too lazy for that, you just need a sufficiently high ph to cause the dxm to precipiated out as the freebase which you will see as the solution getting cloudy...and stay that way. I think a ph of 9 or more is suffient for dxm

2. excess base will stay in the aqeuous layer as it is not soluble in your nonpolar solvent. doing subsequent water washes on your organic layer with clean water will remove any leftover caustic soda that might have made it into your organic layer.

3. I honestly cannot say for sure..I wouldn't use diethyl ether, it's more expensive, and more dangerous...especially when you are trying to evaporate it. I would use naptha, or colemans fuel (basically naptha with blue dye), toluene or xylene...i've used naptha to great success and it seperates perfectly. Starter fluid is not pure diethyl ether...its usually more heptane than ether anyway. If you use ether just be careful and if you're worried about the slight water solublility...do several pulls on your aqueous phase and combine them...anything leftover would be diluted out if that makes any sense.

4. You just need enough organic solvent to make about a half inch layer or so...its not that critical with the amount i've never used any exact measurements of the solvent..dxm freebase is quite soluble in nonpolar organic solvents so you won't need as much solvent as syrup/aqueous layer.

5. Yes you can do multiple pulls with your organic solvent on your aqeous phase and continue to pull dex out.

Once you seperate your organic layer you can wash it with clean water (preferably distilled but i use tap water) and seperate discarding the water. You can do this one or more times. DXM as freebase is water insoluble so the water will just pull out any water soluble junk. You might not care how clean you get it...thats up to you but if you want a clean white dxm extract you should wash your organic layer with water several times.

You can stop here and evaporate your organic solvent and be left with hopefully white crystals of waxy dxm freebase. DXM freebase still tastes bad but not as bad as the salt because the freebase isn't water soluble.

If you wanna go further and make the salt you could either make an acid pump and gas it out with hcl gas, or make a dilute aqueous solution of HCL and shake this together with the organic solvent, then seperate...this time keeping the aqueous (bottom) layer. If you use aqeuous hcl you can wash this with some clean nonpolar solvent to further remove junk and seperate again, discarding the organic solvent. Then you must evaporate the water/acid. From my personal experience you want to use as little acid as possible to salt out your dxm into the aqueous layer (i always use like a capful which is way too much) because when you evaporate it in the oven or microwave or whatever it will release white HCL fumes which will make it impossible to be in the vicinity unless you have good ventilation. I'm sure you could use alot of other acids but the thing about hcl is if you use too much it escapes as a gas when the water evaporates so you don't have to do a lot of math to make sure you don't end up with excess acid in the product.

DXM HCl hits very hard but is the nastiest, foulest tasting shit i have ever tasted. You think zicam tastes like shit...well this shit makes that seem like nothing. DO NOT do it any other way than oral or you will regret it...the crystals look like you could use several other routes of administration with them but you don't want to do that.

I've been reading up on DXM and hope to try the Sucrets extraction. I have not found Sucrets available in bags as suggested in the instructions for extraction. However, would these be alright to use and leave you with just pure dxm after the extraction?
SucretsLozenges.jpg
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

So i want to do an acid/base extraction. But the only syrups i can find that i wouldnt need to buy 5-7 bottles of in order to get the intended dose have alcohol as an inactive ingredient. (1.4percent) My question is will the alcohol in the syrup screw up the extraction somehow or is it okay to go through with it? Id really hate to waste my money so any info on this will be appreciated.

DXM Extraction

has anyone ever extracted DXM out of cough syrup? I'm just curious because I remember reading about Agent Lemon years ago and only recently remembered it after seeing DXM so much on this site. I have tried robo tripping once with straight cough syrup but it was kind of meh for me. Anyone who has made Agent Lemon I would greatly appreciate their opinions. And I know you can get pure DXM from RC vendors but I dont trust those websites and they all seem kind of pricey.