Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(dxm) - first time - dissappointing

whataboutheforests

Bluelighter
This is my first trip with dxm. I got a bottle of Robitussin cough long lasting syrup. Only active ingredient dxm. 15 mg in each mL. At around 4-6 I drank 3 beers. Shotgunned them all so I got kind of drunk, and smoked a lot of weed. Ate some pizza at around 6:30. Took a nap, woke up and decided to try dxm. Felt pretty sober when I started drinking the cough syrup. Also, I'm 155 lbs, 6 ft, and have experience with cannabis, mdma, lsd, and shrooms.

10:30: 60 mg dxm
10:47: 60 more mg dxm
10:56: 60 more mg dxm
11:07: 120 more mg dxm
11:11: 60 more mg dxm (whole bottle is gone) So 360 mg in all.
11:16: maybe starting to feel the effects?probably placebo. syrup does not feel good in my stomach. Listening to music surfing the internet. Hard to focus, especially reading stuff
11:23 - feeling nauseous . Keeping spelling words wrong. Starting to feel like I might throw up.
11:34 - euphoria, rush-like feeling
11:46 - not really feeling anything more intense, chatting to friends online, forgot i even did dxm for a bit. Still feel kind of nauseous but its not too bad.
11:58 - still not really feelin much. Slight increase. Don't feel sober but don't feel like i'm tripping either. stomach still feels really uncomfortable like i'm really full.
12:227 - head is extremely itchy. I feel alright, not really that "high" though. I'm in a good mood. I want to smoke some weed to see if that will intensify the effects of the dxm.
12:40 smoke a bowl, increase in effects, my back is really itchy now
12:55 euphoria, music sounds sick, slight stimulation, thinking about taking a gravity bong rip. Slightly confused, don't really remember what i've done in the last hour. Content. I think that's the weed.
1:00 definitely feeling pretty high. Like being drunk and high, but different
1:07 sense of time is a little off. Finish the bowl. Try to embrace the effects, i think being disappointed earlier effected me mentally and I wasn't tripping as hard. I feel really slow.
1:13 very confused. Go to take a piss, get lost on the way. (it's like 10 feet from my door) can't remember why i'm walking around. Don't know what to do. feel really heavy and sluggish. I feel retarded like i have 1 braincell. I cant think.
1:21 clenching my teeth. Listening to music with my eyes closed
2:14 tripping still, i cant think cant remember what ive been doing?
3:30 still really confused, can't think, I don't like this. I feel sober, but really really stupid. In fact I feel like a robot. shuffling around. Not sure if i should smoke another bowl or not. Still feel nauseous. I feel really confused like I just woke up from a dream. I can't even remember what I did tonight. I really didn't want to move the whole time I was tripping. I get more shit done when I take 10 bong rips than this. I'm hungry, but I don't know if I should eat. Feeling really lethargic. Music is annoying now. Sounds like every song is being fast fowarded.

Overall, I did not enjoy this experience. THe whole time I kept wondering why I even drank all that syrup. The negative effects defintely outweighed the postive effects for me. It just didn't make me feel good. My head was so cloudy the entire trip that I just wanted it to end so I could think. I like the clarity that other psychadelics give me when tripping. The only part of the trip that was good was when I smoked weed. I definitely felt the synergy though, I got super high after only smoking a small bowl in a couple hits.

Perhaps I didn't dose high enough? If I ever decided to try this again, should I try more than 360 mg? I can't really imagine drinking more than one bottle of this stuff though :p

Overall, I did not enjoy this experience. THe whole time I kept wondering why I even drank all that syrup. The negative effects defintely outweighed the postive effects for me. It just didn't make me feel good. My head was so cloudy the entire trip that I just wanted it to end so I could think. I like the clarity that other psychadelics give me when tripping. The only part of the trip that was good was when I smoked weed. I definitely felt the synergy though, I got super high after only smoking a small bowl in a couple hits.

Perhaps I didn't dose high enough? If I ever decided to try this again, should I try more than 360 mg? I can't really imagine drinking more than one bottle of this stuff though :p

Higher amounts will most likely be even more confusing and harder to move. Perhaps you would enjoy a little less actually, like 250mg, all in one go. Take it when you are fully rested and fresh, try to only have a light meal before hand. DXM feels kinda rough on the body IMO. I think it's important to be in your top condition, physically and mentally, in order to have a good trip. Smoke some weed at ~75mins after ingestion, and have a trippy movie lined up to play when it hits you. Remember to stay properly hydrated during the trip too.

I think now that you've tried it once, you will probably find it a little less confusing and threatening just by virtue of knowing what to expect. Also, don't increase the dose hoping it to become comparable to MDMA, LSD, shrooms etc., because it's completely different. Dissociative and serotonergic psychedelics are like yin and yang to one another.

If you still find it wholly un-enjoyable, it's probably simply just not for you. In my experience, about half the people that try it hate it.

Shame DXM can be a lot of fun and I generally never get any of those negative effects you talked about. I did used to get some itchyness the few times I drank syrup so I'm pretty sure it's some chemical in the syrup.

The dose is definitely high enough don't think you need to go higher trust me. The things that ruin DXM generally are drinking alcohol and not having an empty stomach. I've never tried drinking with it but I've read mostly it just makes people feel nauseous and shit.

Id recommend if your in a country where DXM powder is legal then I would order some of that. It's much cheaper per mg and massively more efficient. If not then try find some pills, theyre much better. I only ever tried the syrup before I knew about the pills and I would never want to drink the syrup ever again, makes me feel nauseous just thinking about it.

Obviously not everyone gets the same effects from every drug, but in my personal experience I've really enjoyed DXM and generally always had a clear head during. 300mg at your weight should be a solid 2nd plateau dose, ie. feeling drunk and stoned at the same time which is good fun and also smoking weed at the same time will be wicked.

On a 300mg dose id wait an hour/2hrs and make sure I'm feeling the come up and then I'll go smoke a bowl. Almost everytime it kicks in just as I cash the bowl and when I blow the ash out it flies out in super-slow-motion, really fucking cool.

Oh and one more thing.. maybe it had something to do with it being called long lasting syrup? They must have added another ingredient in there. Always stick to pure dxm as the only active ingredient..

Yeah I kind of repeated what stirfry said but thats good DXM practice.. haha

Oh and one more thing.. maybe it had something to do with it being called long lasting syrup? They must have added another ingredient in there. Always stick to pure dxm as the only active ingredient..

"Robitussin Cough Long Acting" is the same product that used to be called "Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough." It contains Dextromethorphan HBr 15mg/5ml (3mg/ml) as the only active ingredient. Make sure to read the label carefully! There are similarly named Robitussin products that contain other active ingredients that are potentially dangerous in high amounts. There's also a children's version of this product that is only half strength, so avoid that as well.

To the OP, I recommend using a different brand Personally. I have always found brand name Robitussin much thicker and nastier than the store brand, generic equivalent (e.g. DXM only, 15mg/5ml strength).

thanks for the replys guys. If I ever do experiment with dxm again, I will buy the generic shit and write up another trip report. I think this experience might have put me off of dxm forever though...

Do you think that slowly drinking the syrup over 45 minutes had any effect on the trip? would it have been different if i chugged it all at once?

Sure it probably affected it somewhat but I don't think that much. DXM lasts 4-6hours so it would have all absorbed and been affecting you over that period. It may have lessened the intensity of the peak and extended it but I don't have any personal experience dosing over a time period so that's just an assumption!

In the grand scheme of things though id say if you've got good connections for MDMA, acid and shroomies then theyre all by far more enjoyable! However.. I've tried a combo of shrooms and DXM and there is a really nice synergy between them.. include weed and it gets even better :D