Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM combo with psycho meds

kami6669

Greenlighter
Hello,

I've recently bought Paralen Plus (350 mg paracetamol, 30 mg pseudoephedrine, 15 mg dxm) and I take Venlafaxine (300 mg), Lithium (600 mg), Aripiprazole (15 mg), Lerivon (30 mg) and Quetiapin (50 mg). Is it safe to take it with those? I found some interactions especially with Lithium, but I'm not really happy about getting off it and waiting 5 days for it to get out of my system. I don't wanna die either. Before I noticed the interaction of paracetamol and lithium I took 2g of paracetamol and nothing happened. Anyone with any experience?

I might suggest that you avoid DXM. It seems to have a significant potential to react negatively with a number of anti-psychotic and antidepressant type medications.

Even if a drug is not listed under the contraindications, a recreational dose of DXM is generally 10-20 times (often more) that of its' suggested dose.

I'm not sure why you are taking all of those meds, but the last time I had DXM (maybe the third time I'd had it), I was feeling terrible for weeks afterwards, and the high really wasn't even worth it.

If you insist on doing it, please either wait for someone to give a more specific answer about interactions or phone a few pharmacies and ask.

Also, that DXM, pseudoephedrine & paracetamol mix would probably be dangerous on its' own anyway.

My advice would be to find a different drug.

So right off the bat, lithium interacts very dangerously with many psychedelics. I would NOT risk it. LSD and lithium can and does cause seizures that can be life-threatening, and DXM reacts much worse with things in general, so most likely the combo is very dangerous. Venlafaxine is an SNRI, and could cause serotonin syndrome with DXM. This is very serious and can kill you. When you consider that you're taking both, PLUS other psych meds... please do not try this.

Besides that... even if you weren't on any meds, you need to take a product that contains DXM only. In a dosage with enough DXM to trip, you will be taking dangerous amounts of both paracetamol and pseudoephedrine with the product you have.

Basically, you're looking at worst case scenario here. Getting high is not worth permanent damage or death. I urge you strongly to not do this.

You say you take Venlafaxine (Effexor), I would not mix that with DXM. Someone else tried that and died. I will link that thread, hopefully you will decide against mixing your meds with DXM. It is not worth it. For what it's worth, I am also on psych meds and have had the urge to take DXM; but Im on meds for a reason and risking death is not worth it.

Here is the thread mentioned earlier: http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/790985-*WARNING-DEADLY-COMBO*Effexor-600mg-of-DXM-ambien-and-lyrica

Wow, that thread is so heavy... :(

To kami6669 - someone just posted a thread about a Bluelight user like you dying after combining Venlafaxine and DXM. Please don't repeat that mistake...

Thanks for the answers. I decided against it. What about lsd though? I got off of all my meds except for Venlafaxine because I'm scared of withdrawals and I've seen posts about it either not working properly or at all...

It's not dangerous to combine with LSD, but most people report that it significantly mutes trips. Lithium, however, is extremely dangerous to combine with LSD, it causes grand mal seizures which can kill you and/or cause brain damage.

* IMO it is not worth it to get off venlafaxine to trip on LSD... usually people can trip just fine on "pure" SSRI's/SNRI's (i.e. ones that do not have serotonin antagonist features, like trazodone or the tricyclics), it's just that they might require a slightly higher dose. "Set and setting" are crucial for a good psychedelic experience, so you don't want to be in the middle of SNRI discontinuation syndrome and be all irritable...

* Quetiapine and lerivon (which is apparently Polish mianserin?) would likely prevent you from tripping altogether, since they block the very receptor that LSD activates (the 5HT2a serotonin receptor).

* As Shadowmeister said, lithium is a very risky drug to combine with LSD though, since the combination can cause you to have (physically dangerous) seizures or enter a dissociative "fugue state" where you might be a danger to yourself and others. Also, you might seriously want to reconsider taking LSD if you were put on lithium for bipolar disorder, since it could cause you to experience a manic episode.

* Tripping with mental illness is always a tricky issue. Sure there certainly is therapeutic potential in a psychedelic experience, HOWEVER one should at least be in a somewhat "stable" mental state, and be able to trip in a good "set and setting"; otherwise there is a good chance of experiencing a bad trip that only makes everything even worse.
Basically, should be in a location where you feel comfortable (if you're tripping at home, take the time to clean and tidy up your room beforehand), around people you trust, and generally in a relatively decent mood, otherwise I would strongly discourage it.

I got off of all my meds except for Venlafaxine. I'm taking it in the morning and gonna take lsd in the evening, so it should be fine. I'm taking it with someone I feel comfortable with and in a place I know, so following your advice, it should go well. I'm not in the best of moods, but it's not depression either. Also I'm not bipolar, I have the meds for depression and BPD.

The elimination half-life (t1/2E) of lithium carbonate in red blood cells, plasma, and urine was measured in 30 patients hospitalized for primary affective disorder. Duration of Li treatment at time of sampling was found to have a direct effect on lengthening time course. Patients on their initial course of Li had the lowest t1/2s: 1.12 (urine), 1.28 (plasma), and 1.22 days (red blood cells); those less than 1 yr on Li had intermediate values: 1.85, and 1.65, and 1.75 days; and those more than 1 continuous year on Li had the longest mean t1/2s: 2.40, 2.43, and 2.24 days.

How long have you been off the lithium? I don't have the best understanding of half-lives, but it seems to take a number of days to leave the system, if someone could please elaborate?

I've been off lithium for a week. I checked a few sites and they said it takes 5 days to get out of the system.