• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drugs, Risk and the Myth of the ‘Evil’ Addict (The Politics of OTC Naloxone)

Bluelight Crew
Prejudice against people based on the substances they use is one of the few remaining acceptable biases.

By MAIA SZALAVITZ

My column on making Naloxone available over-the-counter to reverse overdoses drew many plaudits and two main strands of criticism. One group argued that addicts aren’t worth saving and we need to cut the drug supply; the other said that Naloxone, also known by its brand name, Narcan, is too risky to be available without a prescription.

Let me address the second argument first. More than 50,000 Naloxone kits have already been distributed to drug users, pain patients and their loved ones in the United States and 10,000 successful overdose reversals have been reported.

The health advocacy group Public Citizen has asked the Food and Drug Administration to authorize over-the-counter sales and has received a response that details the agency’s requirements for reclassification. A meeting on the topic of how best to expand access is expected to be held by the agency next May: according to its letter, the F.D.A. would probably want expensive clinical trials before granting over-the-counter status. It is not clear how that would be funded or whether it would allow alternative approaches.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse is providing a small grant to develop a sort of Naloxone “epi-pen,” similar to the one used by people with severe allergies. Instead of by injection, however, the device would deliver the Naloxone nasally. Clinical trials of this device might satisfy the F.D.A.’s requirements for over-the-counter authorization.

Meanwhile, peer-reviewed, published research has shown that broad distribution is safe and that fears about Naloxone causing deadly side effects are unwarranted. Both actual street-level experience and studies align to support wider use, but some physicians remain uneasy.

full http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...-and-the-myth-of-the-evil-addict/?ref=opinion

why would it be risky to give naloxone without a prescription? It has a well known safety profile they put the shit in suboxone ffs.

In my city , we can get go to the Needle exchange and get Naloxene.
To get it you have to do a course on how to administer it properly and safely, i've done the course and have a Kit with 3 ampoules and all sterile equipment.
This is in the uk, i think its really good HR .

The only reason anyone would see this as a bad idea is because they are completely ignorant. "no, lets just let them die..that way there will be fewer of the addict scum!"

i guess their strategy is to perpetuate that view until hopefully "evolution" kills us all, that way history will show that they aren't just assholes.

i guess their strategy is to perpetuate that view until hopefully "evolution" kills us all, that way history will show that they aren't just assholes.

And as I've said elsewhere, natural selection doesn't work that way. The traits that get selected for are the ones that lead to reproductive success, not longevity.

Damn, was not expecting the writer to have been a former cocaine and heroin user at the end of the article. I still just don't get why biases against people who choose to use substances extends the same across the spectrum of 'drugs', from weed to heroin...come on, man, we're talking about two different sides of a coin. But yeah, some people just don't know, and never will...

I got naloxone from an exchange in nyc when I was using. They gave you some training on how to use it and it came in a pouch with fresh syringes and alcohol pads. The kits really should be OTC everywhere, but I think the sheeple are a bit too squeamish about something taken IM being OTC. Maybe the nasal spray thing will work out.

I still just don't get why biases against people who choose to use substances extends the same across the spectrum of 'drugs', from weed to heroin...come on, man, we're talking about two different sides of a coin.

You tell yourself that to make yourself feel like you're better than heroin users?

"...addicts are not worth saving".

Probably the thoughts of many 50-60 something gluttons who are taking several BP and cholesterol medications while they continue to fill their gullets with loads of fat and cholesterol. Most like they would be dead if was not for the advances in cardiac related medications and hospital treatments. But they are "worth" the money spent to keep their socially acceptable, uhealthy habits going.

Damn, was not expecting the writer to have been a former cocaine and heroin user at the end of the article. I still just don't get why biases against people who choose to use substances extends the same across the spectrum of 'drugs', from weed to heroin...come on, man, we're talking about two different sides of a coin. But yeah, some people just don't know, and never will...

Does it? I mean I would think you go out and pole the average person about the severity of particular drug abuse and most people are not going to equate smoking weed to doing heroin or coke.

I've also gotten ampoules from a needle exhcange, and it has proven very useful. I've been able to "bring people back" from overdoses and it was once even used on me by a former boyfriend. (Unfortunately he ended up overdosing and dying one night when he was using by himself, but i'll always be grateful for the time he revived me)
An otc nasal spray could save a lot of lives, as it can be difficult to inject someone who is unresponsive, especially if the person administering the naloxone is inexperienced with needles. There is no good reason to oppose this, it will not encourage people to be any more reckless with opiates than they already are, and it could really prevent countless unnecessary deaths.

Maybe the nasal spray thing will work out.

But if the person's barely breathing and has a low heart rate, is the nasal spray as effective as the injection?

I'm guessing there's no way to test that, unless you recreate the movie Flatliners.

I think the epipen is a better option. And i mean i pitty the moron that steals it and tries to get high off it who already has a habit lmao....that would be funny.

Probably the thoughts of many 50-60 something gluttons who are taking several BP and cholesterol medications while they continue to fill their gullets with loads of fat and cholesterol. Most like they would be dead if was not for the advances in cardiac related medications and hospital treatments. But they are "worth" the money spent to keep their socially acceptable, uhealthy habits going.

So true. I've heard the "not worth saving" line many times before when it comes to OD prevention, but if you asked that same person about defibrillators in public places I'm sure they'd defend them vigorously, even though they're 1000x more expensive and the people being saved could even be "less worthy."

I'd be curious in the difference in lifetime cost to society for a heroin addict who gets heroin maintenance therapy from the government, along with the tools to support themself, versus a child that develops Type-II diabetes in adolescence from an unhealthy lifestyle and then has chronic health problems through their entire life...

“[T]he myth of the dirty evil drug user is nonsense. We are just like the rest of you “fine” people who won’t lift a finger to help us. This medication should be over the counter or at least easily accessible. Let’s keep these addicts alive long enough to get the help they need. It won’t hurt you and it may save them.”

I like that guy