Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs and gender

mister

Bluelighter
Ive noticed that most of the posts on all platforms (those that know me know i spread my wings) are mostly male posters?

I know plenty of females that indulge in narcotics but I see a disproportionate amount of males posting.

Is this because the wimmin are making samwiches?

I've noticed that too. And most people refer to me as bro or similar when i post, just assuming i am male (im definitely 100% female.)

I know plenty of females that indulge. 99% of people though that do indulge dont post on drug forums..so you dont get the full picture here.

I know plenty of females that indulge. 99% of people though that do indulge dont post on drug forums..so you dont get the full picture here.

Yeah my circle of friends includes a lot of females and some of them indulge but not to the extent that my male friends do. Maybe it's because genders tend to have a greater number of friends of the same gender?

I've noticed that too. And most people refer to me as bro or similar when i post, just assuming i am male (im definitely 100% female.)

That's interesting that people assume you're male because I don't look at other posters and assign a gender to them because I don't think it's important.

Plus, one of my pet hates is people calling my bro/bru/brah makes my blood boil

In my experience women don't enjoy talking about drugs with the same intensity as males do. Maybe it's because there's an egotistical "dick-sizing" component to drug use that men enjoy; I tend to think it's because women tend to take experiences on board more fluidly and intuitively and don't feel the need to discuss as deeply their experiences.

Those opinions are based on absolutely nothing other than my hungover train of thought.

That's interesting that people assume you're male because I don't look at other posters and assign a gender to them because I don't think it's important.

Plus, one of my pet hates is people calling my bro/bru/brah makes my blood boil

I don't either, unless they have specifically said something to identify their gender of course. But I do get it heaps.

All the rehabs and detoxes I have been in have had equal number of males and females and off the top of my head about the drug users i know/have known over the years, Its about equal too.

I can have hour-long conversations with my male friends about tripping/smoking/rolling or whatever, but my female friends (who do the same amount of drugs) seem more reserved when talking about it.

A lot of women use gender non-specific handles to avoid online harassment. Also, internet users tend to presume anyone who doesn't specifically indicate that they are female is male.

t. Also, internet users tend to presume anyone who doesn't specifically indicate that they are female is male.
Why do you think that is out of interest? I feel I can generally tell whether someone is male or female even if they don't specify by the way they write or things they say.

Why do you think that is out of interest? I feel I can generally tell whether someone is male or female even if they don't specify by the way they write or things they say.

Can't really answer this question without a big rant about feminist theory, which doesn't always go down so well on these forums :)

Have a look at the way women are trolled online - twitter is a good example - and you quickly see that rather than ideas being challenged, it all too often degenerates into sexist rants and threats of sexual violence.
When the subject is a man, this is much less common.
It's sad, and is a reflection on online culture and our culture more generally.

Most nicknames can be used for both sexes. For me its mostly not possible to tell, if female or male. Also in most cases it really doesn't matters.

Males just tend to show off more then females. Esp. with drugs it's sometimes not so cool for women to sport, how wasted they got.

Some of my best drug friends have been female. On the internet no one knows what sex you are so it's difficult to say who says what.

the internet, especially forums such as this are fantastic as ethnicity or gender is rarely a factor in conversations or discussions

From a purely statistical standpoint, men and women simply use the internet differently.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2005/12/28/how-women-and-men-use-the-internet/

"Using the internet to get information: Men pursue and consume information online more aggressively than women.

Men look for information on a wider variety of topics and issues online than women do, from researching products to buy to getting information on their hobbies to looking for political news. Sometimes, men and women look for different kinds of information. After the events of September 11, men visited more websites to tell them about things that were happening; more women said the internet helped them find people they needed to reach."

Have a look at the way women are trolled online - twitter is a good example - and you quickly see that rather than ideas being challenged, it all too often degenerates into sexist rants and threats of sexual violence.
When the subject is a man, this is much less common.
It's sad, and is a reflection on online culture and our culture more generally.

This is actually not the case.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/

"Overall, men are somewhat more likely than women to experience at least one of the elements of online harassment, 44% vs. 37%. In terms of specific experiences, men are more likely than women to encounter name-calling, embarrassment, and physical threats."

I see your point, but i was talking of threats of sexual violence, misogyny, general creeperish behaviours - that are disproportionately directed at women online.
Not simple "name-calling" or "embarrassment".
Rape me threats and overt, persistent sexual harassment happens online across a range of platforms with disturbing regularity.
I don't think either of these things are strictly comprablle, either socially or legally.

This is actually not the case.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/

"Overall, men are somewhat more likely than women to experience at least one of the elements of online harassment, 44% vs. 37%. In terms of specific experiences, men are more likely than women to encounter name-calling, embarrassment, and physical threats."

There's some research (that I don't have time to find right now but can probably dig up for you if you're interested) that actually tested this in real environments, rather than just asking people what they'd experienced. It found that female user names attracted much more abuse than male usernames, and the abuse was often gendered and sexualised.

But it's a controversial field, so citing one study one way or the other is pointless. In a less academic context, two gaming journalist friends of mine (one male and one female) ran an experiment where they published near identical articles under both of their names. The woman was the only one to receive threats and abuse. Personally, I think the fact that men dispute this is, paradoxically, kind of proof that it's the case. That women get a different kind of abuse and more realistic threats is so evidently true to most women using the internet that it's completely uncontroversial, but men generally have no idea how bad it is unless one of them goes "undercover" using a female user name and avi.