• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drug tolerance

lleith

Greenlighter
Please be patient with me...blush...newbie. I took 2.5 mg of oxycodone for severe pain and was immediately and intensely euphoric for a few seconds at which point I began 'nodding' into oblivion. I mentioned this to the prescribing doctor and he said that I was 'opiate naive' and hyper-sensitive to the drug. Fine and dandy but are hyper-sensitive and opiate naive the same thing? By the way this is the only drug I have ever taken in which I wanted more even although I hated the experience. Gave them all back...sigh...no pain relief from them either...smile...good muscle relaxant though. So back to my question...is opiate naive the same thing as being hyper-sensitive to the med.? Thank you.

Hey there newbie ;) I'm Keif' and I moderate this forum with some of my colleagues. I'd like to give you a warm welcome on behalf of the whole BL family (Think the Manson Family).

The basic answer to your question is no. Hypersensitivity implies a genetic anomaly of some kind that makes Opioids significantly more powerful when administered to such an individual.

Opioid naivite is a different thing. This can be applied to any individual who has not used Opioids before. They have no tolerance to them. So, in a way, you can say that the naive are indeed hypersensitive in a literal sense, but the phenomenon of innate hypersensitivity is a different thing.

However, I do believe that you probably have a heightened sensitivity to Opioids, as 2.5mg Oxycodone is typically not enough to produce euphoria/sedation etc.

Thank you Keif'...smile, The Manson Family huh...lol. Not from what I have read...chuckle. Forgive me, but I am as ignorant about opiates as I am about this site...duh. If I have a hypersensitivity to opiates does that explain the length of time hydromorhone works for me? Half the smallest dose gave me a speedy high which lasted at least 8 hours. Zing-zing. Good pain-killer though. I was happier than a...um, happy, happy, happy...grin. I asked if they could cut the pill into quarters, 'uh, no' says they. So half it was and probably too much for me...sigh, such a light-weight.

I envy you lol, I think keif might too. I've got a natural tolerance, takes 40mg of oxy to bring me anywhere near what you said. Just take into account that you're sensitive to it when you use them, and call it a blessing.

A dosage of 2.5mgs of oxy had never even occurred to me. Wow.

Right. I was not aware that 2.5mg Oxycodone was possible as a physical entity. And, Bptubbs, you know me too well, as I am totally envious. OP, given the information that you've provided us, I would indeed suggest that you're probably hypersensitive to Opioids. If you decide to become and Opioid addict, well, you will probably last a lot longer than this sad fuck.

Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) is pretty much characterized by its shorter duration relative to say, Morphine. It's not supposed to last for 8 hours, really. In closing, I believe that in addition to the normal tolerance naivite, you are significantly more sensitive to Opioids than the majority of the population.

Be careful, but it sounds like you're approaching things with a reasonable amount of caution so I won't baby you. I would venture to say that your usage is maybe ~25% of what a typical user would need for the same effect and probably more. This is not a statistic or a guideline that you can take to the bank, but it is my personal opinion for what it's worth.

Wow bptubbs if I took that much I would probably sleep forever, and Steady I cut a 5mg pill in half. Wow I am amazed at what I have learned here. Keif if you are a "sad fuck" then you are the nicest one I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Please take care. Hydromorphone is Dilaudid?...whoosh.

Wow bptubbs if I took that much I would probably sleep forever, and Steady I cut a 5mg pill in half. Wow I am amazed at what I have learned here. Keif if you are a "sad fuck" then you are the nicest one I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Please take care. Hydromorphone is Dilaudid?...whoosh.

Way back when my tolerance was super low (way, way back), the only reason I might cut a 5 or 10mg pill was just to help speed up absorption, assuming they included APAP or whatever and it wasn't an easily snortable pill.

Hey lleith, welcome to BL. I agree with what people are saying and I'm glad to hear your safe approach to these medications. I would ask your pain doctor about a test they can do now called "Pharmacogenetics" or cytochrome P450 test. This was first done by psychiatrists for antidepressants and anti-psychotics, but may have use with pain medication as well. This analyzes your genes that synthesize the enzymes that break down opioids. CYP2D6 is the enzyme with large variability due to your genetic make up. They can find out if you're an incomplete, complete, or rapid metabolizer. Just throwing that out there if you're still curious about being "hyper-sensitive".

Last edited:
Thank you so much ricemaker. I will definitely ask for this test. It is something that I am very interested in. Thnx...smile.

It did shoot right into my little brain steady, but I presume that you do not mean this when you refer to, 'speed up absorption'?

I meant that in the past when taking certain pills, I might chew it up, cut it, smash it or whatever so that it would come on a teeny bit faster. A lot of that was just ritualistic behavior, though, perhaps some placebo.