• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Drug interactions with quetiapine (seroquel)

pinkflyingbanana

Greenlighter
Hi everyone
So I'm new here and didn't know if I was posting this in the correct place. I have bipolar disorder and I take quetiapine (seroquel in America) and duloxetine. I have smoked weed over the years and know this is ok (although sadly massively dulled) with my meds. I have tried talking with my psychiatrist about other drug use as quite often when I am in a manic phase I will take any drugs offered to me with no thoughts of the consequences. All he keeps saying is that I shouldn't take any other drugs with my meds. This is really frustrating me as I am fully aware of that and when I am well I only smoke weed now but when I am manic I'll literally take anything without even asking what it is sometimes. My partner has had to take me to A and E before just because he doesn't know if the drug mix I have taken is ok and I'm struggling to get any information from my doctor. So I basically wanted to know if anyone knows what drugs are potentially dangerous with my medication so we both know when to worry and when I need to just sleep it off?

As far as i know & after having a quick browse around there is no extremely dangerous interactions with illicit drugs that i can find, that however does not mean dangerous interactions dont exist. As for pharmacuticals certain benzos look to interact with seroquel such as Lorazepam, Tramadol also looks to interact negativly but the interactions with pharmacuticals is well documented & easily obtainable.

I took seroquel for a few years, but that was before my struggles with the addictions I have now. I smoked and drank quite excessively during this period, and I think it was fine.. sort of. Alcohol and I don't mix well, though. I also had Adderall all the time with it and that was fine. In fact, seroquel was the only thing that could counteract the insomnia caused by mixing weed and Adderall.

I do know that Seroquel slows a certain wave of your hearth rhythm, so you need to be careful about drugs that slow that same wave. For example I am on Sotalol, a heart drug, and I cannot longer take Seroquel because they slow the same heart wave. The being said you probably need to watch out for depressants more than stimulants.

Check out Drugs.com for specific interactions and always be careful! Start off small and see how much your body can take.

They both give mild CNS depression so it can ad up to other depressants.

Furthermore duloxetine can cause serotonine syndrome and hypertensive crisis in combination with stimulants or serotonine releasing agents.(amphetamine, MDMA)

thanks I tried looking online but the information was contradictory and confusing
I'm particularly worried about mdma and cocaine as these tend to be whats available the places I go when I am manic

I would say just try to mix as little as you can. Ask your doctor if you can take more Sorequel when you're manic, it always successfully knocked me out. My advice would be try to minimize the number of drugs you mix, and spread out when you take them. So if you're going to do mdma during the day wait until night to take your seroquel so your body's not like "WTF do I wake up or shut down?"

Since there's no studies on this kind of stuff there's probably no way to be sure. If you're passing out after taking a lot of drugs your partner is right to seek emergency help. Just avoid mixing stimulants and depressants as much as you can and test your boundaries. And remember you really should try to minimize the amount of drugs you're taking, even if there aren't any lethal interactions your liver can only take so much

Even though you should be cautios with Seroquel and other drugs like opioids/opiates (both cns depressants), i would be more worried about the duloxetine.

Dont combine it with tramadol and other serotonin releasers or reuptake inhibitors.

And generally stimulants.

You could very well be risking your life with some combinations.

Edit: take a look at this thread and the link posted in there:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ize-the-effects-of-methamphetamine-or-cocaine

Don't take any drugs metabolized by CYP3A4, as quetiapin is metabolized by this enzyme. Here's a list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP3A4 of drugs that inhibit (quetiapin won't be metabolized, thus it's concentration in your body will increase, this can lead to an OD), induce (quetiapin will be metabolized faster) or are substrates themselves (concentration of both drugs can increase, leading to an OD)