• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Drug interaction? Help!

TimmyThompson5

Greenlighter
Drug interaction? Help! I need to know if Suboxone And a beta blocker (Metoprolol) safe? Is Metoprolol is safe with naloxone?Google does not help nor does it come up with any results. Does someone know how The mechanism of action behind both metoprolol, naloxone? Is this safe?

You shouldn’t have a problem getting prescribed Subutex (only buprenorphine) if you can’t tolerate the naloxone with your other meds.

Naloxone is an opioid antagonist that is sometimes added to opioid pills or sublingual strips to deter people from injecting them. It has an extremely low bioavailability unless injected, meaning that if you take your dose by mouth as intended, virtually all the naloxone will get filtered out by your liver, and it won't interfere with the opioid's effect.

Should you decide to shoot them, however, the naloxone's bioavailability will be greatly increased, often to the point where the naloxone will actually completely block the effects of both the active opioid in the pill and any other opioid in your system, throwing you into withdrawal instead of getting you high. It is not quite as effective at blocking buprenorphine due to bupe's extremely high binding affinity, but it still lowers the abuse potential atleast to some extent.

Metoprolol is a beta-blocker. It blocks the effects of adrenaline, thus decreasing blood pressure.

So no, there should be no major interaction between naloxone and metoprolol, for the simple fact that almost none of the naloxone is going to reach your bloodstream if you take your suboxone as prescribed.

That is only half accurate about injecting Suboxone. The naloxone certainly is a lot more bioavailable with injection use than sublingual use, but most people I have heard from who inject Suboxone do not have any issues with the naloxone.

In many cases naloxone does not prevent the buprenorphine from doing its thing even when injected as Suboxone (my theory is that the buprenorphine has a higher binding affinity than the naloxone present). For many, many people the naloxone on Suboxone will not send someone into precipitated withdrawal (assuming one doesn’t have full agonists or other opioids in their system, but the precipitated withdrawal if they did would come more from the buprenorphine than the naloxone).

As a general rule, precipitated withdrawal issues with Suboxone are almost entirely related to the buprenorphine. Naloxone is actually a pretty poor antagonist to use in the case of buprenorphine. The buprenorphine is just much, much stronger. Luckily OD and buprenorphine isn’t common among people who use opioids, thanks to its ceiling affect. In he case of a buprenorphine OD, I shudder to think how much naloxone would be necessary to reverse it :(

Some people definitely seem to experience side effects from naloxone when injecting buprenorphine, but again most people I’ve heard from don’t have any issue with the naloxone. I certainly never had any issues plugging or insulfating it, but even with injection the naloxone seems to be out competed by the buprenorphine, rendering it rather insignificant.

Not suggesting someone should inject Suboxone, just pointing out the naloxone issue being more marketing then lived experience.