View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug in bath salts caused teen's overdose death, Dr. G says

poledriver

Bluelighter
Drug in bath salts caused teen's overdose death, Dr. G says

ORLANDO, Fla. -
Orange County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia has concluded the "mystery" substance that killed an Orange County teen in February was a drug used in bath salts.

Newly released autopsy and toxicology records obtained by Local 6 show there were traces of the drug found on a $10 bill a group of teens were using to snort the substance.

Krystopher Sansone, 17, died as a result of an overdose at a home in the Vista Del Lago subdivision in the Four Corners area in February.

"Each time these kids use these drugs, it's their own experiment," said Garavaglia. "We don't know how they breakdown, we don't know how long they stay in the system, we don't know how stable they are."

Garavaglia noted in her autopsy report that the drug was not found in Sansone's blood, but that may be a result of the difficulty to track the substance once it's broken down in the body. She concluded, based on the residue found on the bill, that Sansone and the teens were using the drug known chemically as 2, 5-Dimethoxy-N-(2-Methoxybenzl) phenethylamine derivative (NBOMe).

"Kind of like the bad effects of cocaine and LSD together, they're very dangerous," said Garavaglia. "We were able to find the chemical off the $10 bill that they inhaled the drug, through."

Three other teens were hospitalized as a result of the overdose and were later released.

"They're labeled as bath salts they're labeled as plant food labeled as pipe cleaners. With a wink and a nod that no these are sold in these little packets to get high from," added Garavaglia. "We've had quite a few deaths now. A handful here just in Orlando from these bath salts. All four of these kids had bad effects from it."

Deputy Ginette Rodriguez, spokeswoman for the Orange County Sheriff's Office, told Local 6 the agency will not pursue homicide charges in the case. The narcotics unit continues to investigate.

Stay with Local 6 and ClickOrlando.com for more on this developing story.

With a video -

http://m.clickorlando.com/Drug-in-b...ays/-/16721168/19635374/-/u7c8mg/-/index.html

"Each time these kids use these drugs, it's their own experiment," said Garavaglia. "We don't know how they breakdown, we don't know how long they stay in the system, we don't know how stable they are."

The Medical Examiner is saying something true, and important.
Some drugs are really risky and little is known about them.
Some drugs are far safer, and we know much more about them.
For some reason, the former are legal and the latter are illegal in most of the world.

If the war on drugs were finally ended,
we could try to ensure that children don't get access to research chemicals or most/all other drugs (though what about sugar?)
we could guide people towards the safer, more proven drugs that have been tested over the last many years -
(caffeine, cannabis, cacti, mushrooms, kava kava, opium?, alcohol?, etc.)
and away from taking random drugs disguised as bath salts or herbal incense
and away from less pure/riskier forms of drugs (e.g. guide towards coca tea instead of crack or cocaine).

Without a sensible drug policy, we cannot do these things.

The people suffer, while the feds consider charging someone with HOMICIDE when someone takes drugs of their own free will and dies (thankfully they don't appear to be planning this in the article, but it is left open).

Kalfka would be proud.

Who is the genius who thought putting NBOMe in bath salts was a good idea? I would like to punch him in the dick or punch her in the chestecacles

If the war on drugs were finally ended,
we could try to ensure that children don't get access to research chemicals or most/all other drugs (though what about sugar?)
we could guide people towards the safer, more proven drugs that have been tested over the last many years -
(caffeine, cannabis, cacti, mushrooms, kava kava, opium?, alcohol?, etc.)
and away from taking random drugs disguised as bath salts or herbal incense
and away from less pure/riskier forms of drugs (e.g. guide towards coca tea instead of crack or cocaine).

This is absolutely true. However, too many bad guys on both sides are making too much money to let loose of the status quo.

I bet they are mistaken and he bought nbome online not in bath salts from a smoke shop. People snort giant lines of the bath salts, nbomes have like 500 microgram oral dosages. If Nbomes were in bath salts there should be a shit ton of deaths. I think the media is going to start calling any legal RC's bath salts and then act like they are informing you, the viewer, about how it it isnt really plant food. Your average journalist isnt going to go on erowid or here and look shit up, they are going to quote other ill informed media sources.

They wouldn't wanna disseminate helpful information, would they? It's the MEDIA!

I love how they don't specify WHICH NBOMe it was.

The compound listed is actually 25H-nBOMe, which just shows that at some point in the chain of production of the article, someone didn't know what he or she was talking about.

ebola

The compound listed is actually 25H-nBOMe, which just shows that at some point in the chain of production of the article, someone didn't know what he or she was talking about.

ebola
Exactly, those kids would have been dead on the first day if that's what was in the product. I hate when they do this shit. the person who tested the residue is either making shit up or the person who wrote this article thought that he would build to the NBOMe scare.

Is 25H even active? I thought Erny said it isn't.

Regardless, it reads to me like they identified it as a nonspecific derivative of 25H-NBOMe, I.e. any of them.

^wouldn't a standard mass spec tell you which NBOMe it is?

It's probably just the reporter incompletely transcribing lab results.

known chemically as 2, 5-Dimethoxy-N-(2-Methoxybenzl) phenethylamine derivative (NBOMe).

I.e. it could be any one of them. It's just poor reporting really. An MS would tell you which one indeed but newspapers are often ignorant of such things, e.g. reporting mephedrone as methadone or whatever