• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

⫸STICKY⫷ Drawing random molecules v.2 doodling in class instead of taking notes

Well, it's the result of evolution. The human body wouldn't encounter halogenated alcohols in nature so we aren't adapted to deal with it. It's interesting that in certain parts of Africa the water contains large amounts of fluoride salts - far above the amounts added to water in some nations, but the peoples of those regions don't seem to suffer any ill effects. I presume the water has had those fluoride levels for tens of thousands of years and since this all occurs in some fairly remote regions, it's peoples will have been around for a long, long time.

If memory serves, in Australia they use fluoroacetic acid derivatives to selectively poison invasive species because again, native species are adapted to higher levels of such compounds.

Ethylenediaminetetra-acetic%20acid.png

EDTA
EthyleneDiamineTetra-Acetic acid

Using EDTA as the solvent in the Birch Reduction [Li metal; anhydrous NH3 or ammonium nitrate, NH3+NO2] of PPA or ephedrine to amp or methamphetamine makes the reaction work in just 60 seconds aka 1 minute!

Ethylenediaminetetra-acetic%20acid.png

EDTA
EthyleneDiamineTetra-Acetic acid

Using EDTA as the solvent in the Birch Reduction [Li metal; anhydrous NH3 or ammonium nitrate, NH3+NO2] of PPA or ephedrine to amp or methamphetamine makes the reaction work in just 60 seconds aka 1 minute!
This one I'm quite fond of. So many uses.

It's a chelating agent - so it's often used to treat metal poisoning.
It also inhibits a bunch of enzymes, especially proteases (pretty much anything with a metal active site), can elute proteins of nickel chromatography resin, can be bacteriostatic, and can stabilize unstable things due to metals.

Birch reductions are a class of reaction. With regards to the use of ETDA, it would appear that it's more generally applicable to the reduction of aromatic rings:

So it wouldn't be of much use in the reduction of a benzylic hydroxyl.

I'm quite prepared to read any papers in which ETDA is used for that specific class of Birch reduction.

AlsoTapered,

You are often right, but this time you are just flat out wrong. I read an article 2 months ago that said exactly what I wrote. I am not going to argue with you or be called wrong about this. I am beginning to wonder if you are an argumentative AI chatbot.

This is the closest I could find. It replaces NH3 with ethylenediamine in THF.

Scalable Birch reduction with lithium and ethylenediamine in ... https://www.researchgate.net/public...ithium_and_ethylenediamine_in_tetrahydrofuran

I would substitute EDTA for ethylenediamine if I were a chemist based on what I read the other day but can't find now.
Ethelynediamine is going to be wholly different. It lacks those 4 coordinating carboxyls that bind metals. This use seems more like a substitute for ammonia.

Yes, THF is the solvent. But EDTA will work even better than ethylenediamine as the N source, from what I've read lately.

I'd be interested in seeing that paper, then.

So most certainly NOT relating to some magical route in the reduction of (pseudo)ephedrine to methamphetamine.

I remember long ago when quite a few members of 'The Hive' devoted much effort into the use of the Akabori reaction in an attempt to produce PPA. Variations were attempted but the consensus was 'if it looks too good to be true, it isn't true'. It worked, but the yields were low and it wasn't of any practical value.

No doubt lurkers were imagining that they could make a fortune out of selling 4MAR. Experience shows that it's VERY rare for an entire industry to entirely miss a cheaper methodology. As we know, L-PAC is the commercial precursor to PPA.

Would this work as a prodrug for pregabalin, in a similar way how picamilon releases gaba and niacinamide?

Picagabalin-112923.png

Last edited:
But if there would be a hydroxyl moiety left from picamilon hydrolysis, wouldn't it produce GHB instead of GABA?

Cay29397-1_600x600.png

If it's indeed the case that a hydroxyl is left, then how about this? I guess this double-ketone thing wouldn't work?

marvinjs-output-19.png

If it'

Last edited: