• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

DoubleTrouble

fallingup

Bluelighter
Searched the forum and found no results for this and felt it was only right to make a thread. Jay (DoubleTrouble) passed away in March of 2010. I know it's been a while but it still touches something really deep and raw inside me to remember him and his passing. It especially rips at my soul to see his last posts on Bluelight, just a few days before he passed away. RIP Jay.

The article is beautifully written and is sure to move you though you may not have known him:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/struggles-addiction-plagued-jeffrey-until-passing

Yeah I read it and nearly cried especially at the strawberry fields part...goddamnit blulighters...we need to be more careful..all of us. It doesn't change anything...but what was the drug the ultimatly killed him?

By the way...this is hands down one of the best articles I've EVER read on here. A smart young man with a mind that seems like it was on a whole other level
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/244883-Shooting-Stars?

Goddamn you opiates.

I don't know. I have wondered too what specifically happened. But it somehow feels wrong to speculate out loud. You know?

After thinking about this last night and reading through other posts on the Bluelight Shrine I actually had a panic attack. My first in a over a year. Partly that tells me not to dwell on these things, but it also partly makes me feel...right. As though any less of a response to his passing/others' overdoses would be inadequate. After all- this sort of thing is a horror and a tragedy- and I don't want to be the kind of person who doesn't face that head on. The panic sucked and I'm shaky- but I feel like if I'd just read his obit and turned over and gone to bed- that'd be flippant.

I don't feel it's wrong bt I respect your opinion. Doesn't matter honestly. Just curiosity from being a med student.

Wow, didn't think this would be my first post since I never knew him nor was around when he was here but, the article really touched me too and it did make me cry a bunch. I put one of the quotes from his ecstasy poem on my facebook. (; RIP Jay.

This is Jay's brother. Just thought I'd let people know some more details about what Jay OD'd on in the hopes it might be helpful to someone. The autopsy report said he had both oxymorphone and OxyContin in his system (I don't know the amount, but he typically took 80 mgs of OxyContin, I gather, intranasally). My guess is that he took the amount of each that he typically could tolerate. However, he had been in the ED the week previous for several days due to complications related to drug abuse. This meant he had several days without opiates in his system, giving his body time to 'reset' its tolerance. I now know that people are 30 times more likely than normal to have a fatal overdose in the week after they are discharged from a hospital. The theory is that the body resets it's tolerance enough (and maybe the body's ability to metabolize is compromised somewhat? I don't know) so that heroic-but-tolerable doses transform into deadly doses during that short period of abstinence.

^Thank you for posting this. I am so sorry for your family, drjeffreys. Having lost a son to addiction and overdose, I know the journey through grief, in grief and with grief is long and ever unfolding. If any of you ever need an ear, please do not hesitate to contact me through private messaging. Much love to you all and gratitude for your openness.