Recruiting DopeStats

armorm2

Greenlighter
Hi there,

I'm an undergrad Computer Scientist studying at Florida State University in Tallahassee. I'm looking for respondents to take a survey that is investigating the use of legal and illegal drugs in the United States. The aim of the study is to

1. Raise drug use awareness
2. Introduce accuracy and perspective to the numbers we call drug use statistics by reporting up-to-date statistics including number of uses and total economic cost for both local communities and the entire United States.

The survey(s) can be found by clicking here: www.DopeStats.com

The survey itself should take no longer than 1 minute to complete and is easy to use.

This study began on the 1st of January 2009 and will be on-going. It's open to anyone who has used legal/illegal drugs including Chocolate, Nicotine, LSD, Mushrooms, Alcohol, Marijuana, and many more drugs.

You can find further information at: About Us - DopeStats

I can be personally contacted at support(at)dopestats.com or via the Bluelight private messaging system.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Maybe ill post a survey link in Other Drugs (Very active forum). Let me ask a senior staff first, and ill let you know.

EDIT: Posting a sticky in Other Drugs now...

Last edited:
Cool idea, something that deserves a lot of publicity. How are you controlling for the fact that responses are anonymous - are you worried that people might just make stuff up?

Thanks Infinite Jest.

This is true, anyone can just input fake statistics if they wanted to. My hope is that no one is willing to waste their time doing this. Regardless, I've implemented several mechanisms to try and avoid this. Some of these include:

-Max numTimes used is 5 (per form submission)
-Capped the maximum price you can enter
-Use of an image captcha to verify human

I figure that by showing the statistics for each county instead of just reporting stats for the whole nation, people will see numbers that they can relate to. And if enough people visit and take the surveys, then hopefully the statistics will converge to what the true vale should be...

Many things use this scheme to bring you accurate results. For example

-Google PageRank
-StumbleUpon
-Digg

all use the number of inbound links, or number of stumbles, or diggs to propel the most relevant information to the top. If enough people take the surveys, then the prices, number of uses and other stats will converge to some value which should be the most accurate.

This is a good idea. Enjoyed seeing and inputting.

Good job.

Great idea! Would love one that took the whole world into account. Could you potentially do that with the database you have set up? (Something for the future!)

Maybe ill post a survey link in Other Drugs (Very active forum). Let me ask a senior staff first, and ill let you know.

EDIT: Posting a sticky in Other Drugs now...

What I do for the Australian forums is ask senior staff to add 'Headers' to advertise relevant threads from Drug Studies. Not sure if that can also be done across other forums by Admins?

Possibly, but America is said to be the world's largest drug consumer. I would also just narrow it down to the countries where the majority of the people have access to the Internet... The main goal I wish to achieve with DopeStats right now though is to raise drug use awareness at the national level through search engines, newspapers, word of mouth, press releases, radio, t.v, and other forms of media.

Possibly, but America is said to be the world's largest drug consumer. I would also just narrow it down to the countries where the majority of the people have access to the Internet...

I agree you should start with USA (also you know it well coz you live there) ;)

But I think it would have potential for application at least within countries where net access is the norm, as well.

The main goal I wish to achieve with DopeStats right now though is to raise drug use awareness at the national level through search engines, newspapers, word of mouth, press releases, radio, t.v, and other forms of media.

Props to you for that goal and I hope you are successful.

Thing is the USA's drug use statistics are important because the DEA are starting to fabricate statistics that say they're winning the war on drugs which is not true IMO. When the war on drugs started there were no paramilitary cartels taking over whole boarder towns in Mexico for example. This is where there's a war, we need the information available so we can make peace with drugs.

Taking it now - always happy to participate in this sort of thing. :)

To give you more accurate statistics, I have been working on a major update that will allow DopeStats to report statistics including units of measurement. Specifically, I've added support for specifying a weight and quality. I'm still in the process of defining the standard units of measurement for the various drugs, but it will get done in time. In the meantime, look out for more updates and better accuracy..

That's an interesting survey, you shouldn't have troubles finding respondents, a lot of people are familiar with drugs, have you tried talking to people in drug rehab centers? They may be far more relevant to this issue.

Lauds and suggestions

I really like the idea behind your project and I'm always up for increasing general drug use awareness and price monitoring etc, but the only issue I have with the site is its setup. SWIM wanted to enter some data on the 30 or so drugs SWIM's used, but SWIM found that it's not so much of a survey, but a search-and-enter format. It would be absurd and incredibly time-consuming for one to enter any amount of meaninful data about their drug usage, not to mention that one can only enter data about one specific day. I'd say most people don't have any clear recollection of the day they used a drug, but more of an idea of how many times they've used it and maybe the doses and prices. It seems unnecessary and maybe even useless to ask for the day the drug was used and definitely keeps many from reporting out of their lack of knowledge of that information.
My first suggestion would be to make the site act more as a survey by starting the questionnaire by asking the user to choose their state and county, then choose from the exhaustive list all the drugs they've used and would like to report on, then going through each drug individually instead of forcing the user to go through the list to find each next drug they'd like to report on. Next I think the survey should forego asking about the date it was used (especially if it's everyday or has been used very frequently) because it doesn't seem of any use and instead ask how many times the person has used that drug (maybe in the past week, month, year, lifetime, etc) because it allows for MUCH more information per usage. There's just no way for one to enter that they use marijuana, for example, everyday and that they use it 3 times per day at a .5g dose without filling out a form 365 times for 2009 choosing each day in succession. Furthermore, it should be allowed, when inputting dosages, to put in "20 mg" as their dose for example, using a text box for the number and a list box to select g, mg, ml, mcg, etc. It would be limiting, for example, to have grams as the only choice for marijuana or mg only for ketamine. Also, with regard to quality, it would make sense for every drug to have low, medium low, medium, medium high, high, rather than have anything specific to any drug.
In my opinion, the most important modifications to the survey site would be:
1. To start the survey with the user choosing their location and drugs used they'd like to report on and then the program going through each individually in order
2. Remove the date choice and instead add a times used in different periods of time
3. Make all the parameters very generalized, like dose units and quality

Sorry if it seem like I'm being ultra-critical or trying to tell you that the site isn't good--I really like the purpose of the site and the general setup, I just think that it could be more user-friendly and could be improved to greatly increase ease of access and information extraction per use. I'd love to discuss this more, so please respond with any thoughts on this or PM me.

In the meantime, keep up the good work and good luck!
-Jaguraguguru

I agree with jaguraguguru that a survey-like version would be better to gather data from people, however I agree with dopestats about using the date-based approach. I think what this survey is after is an estimate of the cost/amount from the *most recent* time the drug was used in that county/state.

It would be relatively easy to set up a survey that fed directly into the mapping system/database you have already, that enabled a quicker collection of drug use data from people living in specific counties. Once you have that sorted, move on to the whole world :)

the captcha on this survey was be jailors on the first question... i opted out.

One of the goals we aim to keep is to appeal to the black market end users. The mechanism for us to attract those users is our reporting of accurate drug prices. In our case, it kinda makes no sense asking or reporting the price unless we have more info such as quality and/or quantity about the substance. Assuming the user remembers the price/quality/quantity, the next natural thing to ask them to describe their experience would be the date. Call it a receipt for a transaction if you will, only this receipt doesn't include your IP..

Searching for this black market information I've found that in order to keep the data accurate* and as up-to-date as possible, there is a need to protect against spamming and just inaccurate or out-dated data. So we not only want to appeal to black market end users, we want to appeal to the most recently active end users. To achieve this consistency, the safety mechanism is lots of people taking the survey and answering truthfully. Allowing users to post data (which includes prices) for a range of dates would severely affect the consistency since this weighs their receipt much heavier

Next I think the survey should forego asking about the date it was used (especially if it's everyday or has been used very frequently) because it doesn't seem of any use and instead ask how many times the person has used that drug (maybe in the past week, month, year, lifetime, etc) because it allows for MUCH more information per usage. There's just no way for one to enter that they use marijuana, for example, everyday and that they use it 3 times per day at a .5g dose without filling out a form 365 times for 2009 choosing each day in succession.

Perhaps after explaining about the accurate prices ordeal, this seems clearer. While the 3 times a day would affect the 'number of uses', the prices will remain unchanged since the .5g dose was likely not bought as a .5g dose. If you notice, we don't report statistics on doses unless they have an accompanying price.

Furthermore, it should be allowed, when inputting dosages, to put in "20 mg" as their dose for example, using a text box for the number and a list box to select g, mg, ml, mcg, etc. It would be limiting, for example, to have grams as the only choice for marijuana or mg only for ketamine.

This is true it is limiting, but only because there is a limited or discrete number of ways to describe the quantity involved in mention. For example - marijuana usually gets used by the gram. Same goes for chocolate which is most likely either grams, OZ, mL, or L.

Also, with regard to quality, it would make sense for every drug to have low, medium low, medium, medium high, high, rather than have anything specific to any drug.
In my opinion, the most important modifications to the survey site would be:
1. To start the survey with the user choosing their location and drugs used they'd like to report on and then the program going through each individually in order

Ah ah, this depends on your definition of drug. If you look at what a drug is, really it's just a chemical agent that affects living things. The quality is probably most related to the structure of the drug and since drugs come in all forms, it is considerably hard to determine the quality. Most of the time we just go with what we know, but this becomes much harder to assess when you talk about black market drugs such as salvia, cocaine, lsd, ecstasy, and even white market drugs such as chocolate. Something like alcohol can be categorized into a "low, mid, high" hierarchy because it is universally known that alcohol is either

-poor man's beer ...i.e- natty
-plastic bottle vodka - for the tough our there
-high end wine or grey goose vodka, etc, etc

The types of alcohol (liquor, wine, beer) is somewhat deducible from the standard sizes though this is limited with our representation.

I appreciate all your comments. I think it is a really good idea to have the user perhaps select the substances for which they would like to submit data before doing anything else. This is way more user friendly to someone who just visited DopeStats. This can also increase the amount of data collected. I hope you understand why this exhaustive approach is implemented. Here are some good articles I think will help understand where society currently is in terms of collecting statistics and data about drug use:

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/statistics/statistics_article1.shtml
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/statistics/statistics_article1.shtml

Again, you have my support. It's great to have someone doing things differently and trying to take on the valid criticisms in those two Erowid articles. Apart from making it a little easier to use (eg. a survey form with numerous drugs) the other trick will get encouraging people to take part regularly across all your states and counties!

Good luck :)

I would like to note this section from the articles:
Unfortunately, few of the surveys that measure psychoactive use have any direct validation of results. They can be compared against other data sources, but results have no direct connection to actual use. Though alcohol and tobacco surveys have similar problems, they also have two advantages: the legal status of their subject matter provides less reason for misreporting, and fairly reliable data from industry sales can be used to validate approximate consumption levels.

The only available validation for survey data about illegal drug use would be hair tests that could detect a variety of drugs used in the last month or two. Widespread hair testing presents technical, legal, and ethical challenges that make it nearly impossible to implement within a democratic society. Without a direct connection between self-reporting and actual use, survey results remain, at best, rough estimates of trends in use of psychoactives, at the mercy of an array of poorly understood confounding factors.

I wanted to talk about this because it raises an interesting question: How can illegal drug studies be validated? The respondents usually remain anonymous and the data has no authority to validate the results and truthfully say, "this is accurate". How does one validate such a thing?

... I believe that prices are one way to validate the results. This is what makes alcohol and tobacco statistics more accurate or reliable since those are regulated and taxed.

One interesting 'new' method that can potentially be used to validate illegal drug use prevalence surveys is the analysis of waste water and products (sewerage in other words).

Here's an example...

Perhaps this method will give us a sense of how grossly out the prevalence stats are! :)