• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

dopamine - what does it regulate? What is its natural purpose?

Soul Reaper, go here.
www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/
watch it. You might not get it all in one sitting, but that's ok. Read bluelight for a while, then watch it again. Keep going back until you understand it. It will make sense eventually, I promise.
As for ecstacy, it first FLOODS your brain with seratonin. That's what makes you feel so good. Because it floods it, it also uses it up, so AFTER you roll your seratonin is depleted. Where dopamine comes into the story is that there are places where seratonin usually goes, but it's now gone. So dopamine goes there instead. This is what causes the neurotoxicity.
You should always post load to prevent neurotoxicity. Not only does it help prevent damage, it makes you feel better too. This usually involves taking prozac 6 hours after you've ingested your pill (the slideshow will explain how this works and why), and taking 5-htp and other vitamins for the next few days to help your body and mind recover and help boost replenishing the seratonin that was lost. Do a search on post loading and read the FAQ that's in the forums (not the one next to the search and pillreports button), you will find a lot of information.

Reaper Your statements are kinda all over the place and without context sometimes but I'll try to answer. What noodlegirl posted about serotonin being raised initially(dumped out of storage into the synapse-> where it works it's magic) by MDMA and then dropping drastically is true. Be aware that MDMA also releases dopamine and relatives just to a lesser degree. (When the serotonin runs out all you get is dopamine)
Amphetamines just release dopamine and adrenaline very little if any serotonin. There is a peak of high levels of dopamine then it goes down. Your dopamine doesn't get depleted like serotonin does but repeated use is neurotoxic(I don't know the mechanism) so you have lowered functioning of dopamine but not really less of it. Serotonin does not substitute for dopamine in any circumstance.
When Serotonin is constantly flooded into the synapse(with constant weekend use) your body reacts with "synaptic plasticity" and it reduces the number of receptors. This causes a tolerance but is reversible, hence time will fix depression induced by E.
Neurotoxicity like it is shown in that slideshow that everyone should watch is semi permanent. Some regrowth occurs but it is slow and not as your brain was before.
Any levels of dopamine cause serotonergic neurotoxicity if there is no serotonin present. High levels of synaptic serotonin cause you to roll unless it is prolonged as you could experience if you are on an MAOI and take E. This causes serotonin syndrome and it causes hyperthermia, spasms, nausea, seizure, coma, paralysis, and death.
Low levels of dopamine in normal life causes pakinsonian symptoms: shuffling gait, difficulty with motor tasks, limited thought processing, lack of motivation, etc.
Yes low levels of serotonin in normal life causes depression.
this is kinda rambly but I hope it helps.
Punctuated: THC works on specific receptors in your brain, I have no real idea how it works, but they have found an endogenous(natural, in your body) chemical that works on these receptors. So it seems as if MJ just enhances a system we already had in place.
As for alcohol, it just supresses limbic(judgement and inhibitory) and motor pathways by working on the GABAnergic neurons. GABA->Gamma Amino Butyric Acid.
Blah Blah Blah something clever Blah Blah Blah
see you later.
[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: ketone ]

thanx a lot ketone, and noodlegirl, that helped a lot.
i will go and watch the slide show now, and look at more topics in the forums. thanx for your help.

yeah i just read the slide show then, it is very very very informative, and i highly recomend that anyone that has ever taken ecstasy, or will take ecsatsy in the furture, read this. dont go by what everyone else says, even though it may be true. but it is better to get the first hand info yourself, you wil understand it better.
but there is one thing i dont think the slide show had, and that is how ecstasy releases dopamine, and where dopamine comes from. does it come from a dopamine axon similar to a serotonin axon, and is released the sameway the serotonin is released, just slower?

Yup its released from different neurons, but I'm not sure of the relative rate to serotonin it is released just that MDMA releases less DA than speed.

well then if dopamine is realised from the dopamine neaurons, how does it find its way into the synapse inbewtween the serotonin axon terminals and the dendrite of the receiveing neuron?
or this that question to technical? lol

Synapses are open to the surrounding fluid so you do get transmitter drift. Usually this is not a problem as they are destroyed or uptaken right away. But if levels are altered by (tee hee) chemical means, stuff can happen.

thnx.
i know how ecstacy works now, but is there any other dangers from taking it other than potential hypothermia and potential neurotoxicity?
also, i have heard that meth is more dangerous than ecstasy. why is that? are there any slideshows for meth like there was for ecstasy?
it is beleived that meth can make you schitzophernic and turn you psychotic, why is that? what does meth do to your head, to cause that to happen, and how do you prevent it?

SouL^ReapeR: Firstly, it's "hyperthermia" = high temperature. A good summary of other risks with MDxx can be found at MAPS. Go down to the bit that says "Looking at the Risks", in particular, the paper titled "MDMA and Kidney Function" is a fave. Most of the problems with e are exacerbated by the conditions under which people use it: ie in clubs/raves, where it is usually hot.
Personally I would never say that one drug is safer than another, because there are too many variables. Such as environment, pre-existing health, activity (eg: going to a rave or sitting around watching TV, driving etc).
Heavy meth use can cause a psychotic episode, but so can heavy e use. Neither will make a person Schizophrenic though. See these threads, they should cover some of your questions.
MDMA/neurotoxicity misconceptions (long)
Speed causing Schizophrenia
and of course see the MDMA and meth pages at erowid.

thanx alot.
this may be a bit off track. but i was wondering if someone could tell me, or agree if the following preload, load and post load program would be good, if not what would be better.
i have never had prozac before, and i have never hd 5-htp.
so about like say 5 hours before the rave i take some 5-htp, eat some turkey, bananas, chocalte, or what ever, and then 3 hours after i drop, have some vit-C tablets, a berocca maybe, and then another 3 hours later, have a prozac tablet. and then the morning after have some more vit-c, another prozac tablet, and some more 5-htp.
the only thing is, i dont know what quantaties to have of the 5-htp and the prozac. last time i dropped was half a pill december 9th 2001.
i just want to know the safest way to have e, maximise the peak and minimize the comedown.
also, this might of been asked previosly, but is there anything you can take to maximise the peak or minmize the comedown and dangers of taking meth? any foods, tablets.
please inform.
[ 13 January 2002: Message edited by: SouL^ReapeR ]

You're an inquisitive fellow aren't you? :) see this FAQ and search a few forums on pre and post loading. You will find so many threads, you might just fall off your chair :)

babydoc_vic: the FAQ link in your last post isn't working.
Soul_reaper: sounds OK - I wouldn't bother eating turkey if you're taking 5-HTP though. And you don't need to take two lots of prozac - 20mg about 6 hours after rolling should be fine, there wouldn't be any point taking it the next day though. (babydoc, correct me if I'm wrong here).
5-HTP doses: I normally take 100-200mg/day for about 3 days afterwards. You'd be best to experiment for yourself, though.

Also helpful: I read on here to drink grapefruit juice about an hour before you drop. Apparently some of the enzymes present in that particular juice help the e to be digested and absorbed. Plus lotsa vitamin C is also good for ya.
Try preloading 5-htp for a week before you plan on rolling. About 100mg once or twice a day should be plenty. Some people claim they don't feel anything different, while others claim it really helps the roll. At any rate, it certainly can't hurt.

sorry babydoc_vic, i am just fairly new on the rave and drug scene and i dont want to fuck my self up.
and thanx simon, i will try and get some 5-htp soon, i hope it isnt expensive.
and thanx noodlegirl, i will start getting my body used to 5-htp about a week or so before my rave, and then take some a few hours before the rave, and after.
thanx for your help guys/girls

Originally posted by ketone:
speed. Chocolate and bananas don't do anything for your serotonin levels. .
Agreed that eating chocalate and bananas alone wont help ur setetonin levels much, however eating a diet which is high in Tryptophan will definately help seetonin levels...
Before the FDA removed all Tryptophan supplements from the market due to a temporary, and now corrected, industrial manufacturing error, millions of people had safely taken regular suppertime doses of this amino acid, usually between 500 to 2,000 mg, to help them sleep. Inside you, Tryptophan is broken down into anxiety-reducing, snooze-inducing niacin. Even more important, Tryptophan is also made into serotonin, one of your body?s most important neurotransmitters. Serotonin gives a feeling of well-being and mellowness, what we in Australia (?g?day, mate!?) would call ?no worries.? This is such a profound effect that Prozac, Paxil and similar antidepressants usually either mimic serotonin or artificially keep the body?s own serotonin levels high. You can do the same thing with your food. And no one can tell us that beans, peas, cheese, nuts and wheat germ are toxic if you eat a lot of them!
Plenty of carbohydrates (starches) in your meals help Tryptophan get to where it does the most good: in your brain. In order to cross the blood-brain barrier to get in, carbos are required. So cheese and crackers provides a better effect than the cheese standing alone. An egg or two on toast is better than just the egg. Beans, peas, and nuts already contain carbohydrate, so you are all set there.
Consider that five servings of beans, a few portions of cheese or peanut butter, or just one big handful of cashews provides one to two thousand milligrams of Tryptophan, which will work as well as prescription antidepressants... but don?t tell the drug companies. Some skeptics think that the pharmaceutical people already know, and that is why the FDA is keeping Tryptophan supplements unavailable. Here are two quotes in evidence:
"Pay careful attention to what is happening with dietary supplements in the legislative arena... If these efforts are successful, there could be created a class of products to compete with approved drugs. The establishment of a separate regulatory category for supplements could undercut exclusivity rights enjoyed by the holders of approved drug applications."
(FDA Deputy Commissioner for Policy David Adams, at the Drug Information Association Annual Meeting, July 12, 1993)
"The task force considered many issues in its deliberations including to ensure that the existence of dietary supplements on the market does not act as a disincentive for drug development."
(FDA Dietary Task Force Report, released June 15, 1993)
Remember that Tryptophan is one of the ten essential amino acids you need to stay alive. It is by law added to liquid feedings for the elderly and all infant formulas. Yet Tryptophan supplements remain illegal. You can legally buy L-5-hydroxytryptophan, a non-prescription Tryptophan derivative, at health foods stores. 5-HTP is quite costly, however. The good news is that plenty of inexpensive vitamin C enables your body to convert dietary Tryptophan into your own 5-HTP, and then on into serotonin.
So go; eat; and be happy!
Foods high in the Amino Acid L-Tryptophan (in Milligrams (mg) per 100 gram (3.5 ounce) portion), about the size of a deck of playing cards. That is not a large serving, and in a single meal you might easily double or triple the figures listed here.
igh in the Amino Acid L-Tryptophan (in Milligrams (mg) per 100 gram (3.5 ounce) portion), about the size of a deck of playing cards. That is not a large serving, and in a single meal you might easily double or triple the figures listed here.
Beans
Lentils 215 mg
Dried Peas 250
Navy (pea) 200
Pinto Beans 210
Red Kidney 215
Soy 525
Nuts and Seeds
Brazil Nuts 185 mg
Cashews 470
Filberts 210
Peanuts 340
Peanut Butter 330 (this is for natural peanut butter, not popular commercial brands)
Pumpkin Seed 560
Sesame Seeds 330-575 (if seeds are ground up)
Sunflower 340
Other nuts generally provide at least 130 milligrams per small serving; usually more.
Grains
Wheat Germ 265 mg
Cheese
Cheddar: 340 mg
Parmesan: 490
Swiss: 375
Other cheeses tend to be lower in Tryptophan, but are still very good sources.
Eggs 210 mg
Brewer?s Yeast 700 mg
(Source: US Department of Agriculture, Amino Acid Content of Foods.)
Meats are generally regarded as a good source of Tryptophan, organ meats supposedly being the highest. However, most meats are in the range of 160 to 260 mg/100 g, (chicken is about 250) with organ meats ranging between 220 and 330. These figures certainly do not compel meat eating. Compare with soybeans, split peas, cheese and cashews!
there u go
a healthy diet = a healthier brain...

^^^^^^^^^^
Nice post - I learn something new every day :)
Great thread people, keep 'em coming.

Thanx simon. Does anyone have any info on foods which contain L-tyrosine?
[ 15 January 2002: Message edited by: Scrambled_On_Eggs ]

The relationship between food and mood has intrigued people for ages. Three thousand years ago the Aryuvedic sages of India described how the body’s natural rhythms were affected by the time of the day, seasonal changes, and diet.
They observed that morning is the time of clearest thinking, whereas midafternoon is the time of irritability and fatigue. Current research is again examining the connection between the mind and the body, attempting to explain what the ancients observed: that what and when we eat can alter brain chemistry.
The Role Your Brain Plays
Theories about how food affects behavior revolve around chemicals called neurotransmitters, biochemical messengers of the brain that pass information from cell to cell. They exert control over many of the body's functions, including the regulation of mood and appetite, thoughts, feelings and behaviors. The neurotransmitters that are most sensitive to diet and influential in affecting mood are serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine.
Serotonin is the neurotransmitter responsible for feelings of optimism, relaxation, general sense of well being, and the ability to focus and concentrate. However, depending on the time of day, high levels of serotonin can make you feel tired and sluggish. Low levels of serotonin result in depressed mood, difficulty sleeping, poor concentration, and increased food cravings.
Dopamine and norepinephrine are responsible for feelings of alertness, excitement, action and mental acuity. Low levels of these neurotransmitters result in depressed mood, fatigue, and poor concentration, whereas high levels can create agitation and anxiety.
The Connection Between Food and Mood
The brain synthesizes these neurotransmitters from amino acids, the “building blocks” of protein. There are two amino acids that play a part in the food/mood response: tryptophan and tyrosine. Tryptophan is converted into serotonin, whereas tyrosine is the principal ingredient in dopamine and norepinephrine.
To increase the level of tyrosine in your brain, simply eat foods high in protein (meat, milk products, fish, beans, nuts, soy products). Tyrosine will be converted into dopamine and norepinephrine. With only 3-4ounces of protein, you will feel energized, more alert and more assertive.
To boost the production of serotonin, reach for carbohydrate rich foods (pasta, starchy vegetables, potatoes, cereals, breads). Carbohydrates enhance the absorption of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin in the brain. Within about thirty minutes of eating a carbohydrate snack, you will feel more calm and relaxed. The effects will last several hours.
Here’s The Scoop
Despite the fact that serotonin is manufactured in the brain from tryptophan, found in protein-rich foods, a meal rich in protein actually lowers the blood level of tryptophan. Even a modest amount of protein will counteract the calming effects of carbohydrates. Here’s why. Protein-rich foods contain a variety of amino acids, including tryptophan and tyrosine, all competing with each other to get past the "Blood Brain Barrier", the gateway to the brain.
When you eat protein, you flood the system with these competing amino acids and they fight for entry. Tryptophan is a large amino acid; only a small amount actually makes it through. Consequently, the serotonin level does not increase very much. As a result, you may reach for a high carbohydrate dessert, feel more down, or not sleep well that night.
Conversely, a carbohydrate meal will result in fewer competing amino acids. A meal rich in carbohydrates triggers the pancreas to release insulin. Insulin directs most amino acids in the blood stream to be absorbed into the cells of the body. Tryptophan, which remains in the blood stream, then has an easy entry into the brain. Serotonin levels increase resulting in a more relaxed, focused mood.
Choose Your Mood By Choosing Your Food
Calming Carbohydrates
All carbohydrates are not equal in their ability to offer mood-altering results. The best way to consume carbohydrates is in the form of whole grains and complex carbohydrates. Whole grains are broken down over long period of time, keeping a constant flow of serotonin in our body. Remember, to experience the maximum effect of carbohydrates on your mood, it is important to eat them alone. An English muffin with jam is fine, with tuna fish or melted cheese isn’t.
Eating any of the following grains will help you feel more focused and relaxed: bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn, barley, kasha, and oatmeal. Fruits and leafy green vegetables are vitamin rich and important for a well balanced diet, however they are “mood-food neutral”.
Snack foods to help you concentrate better and ward off tension in the middle of the day include popcorn, pretzels, baked potato (hold the butter and sour cream), and rice cakes.
Recipes to Soothe
Peppy Proteins
If you are feeling sluggish, protein power can produce the effects you want. Protein encourages the production of dopamine and norepinephrine, which produces alertness, mental energy and faster reaction time. The effects of eating protein lasts about 2-3 hours. To maximize the “arousal” effect of a protein meal, limit the intake of fat and carbohydrates. Remember; do not eat protein for several hours before bedtime or you may experience difficulty falling asleep.
Just something i found. :)
But...
Tyrosine is one of 20 amino acids - the building blocks of protein. It is nonessential, meaning our bodies can make it themselves (from proteins), and don't have to get it from food. In the body, tyrosine is converted into neurotransmitters that rely electrical "messages" throughout the nervous system.
A supplement form of tyrosine (sometimes called L-Tyrosine) is marketed for - among other disorders - depression, improving mental alertness, easing alcohol withdrawal, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease. However, there is no evidence that taking tyrosine or any other single amino acid offers any of these benefits. In fact, the body doesn't recognize the difference between amino acid supplements and amino acids from protein in food. But, supplements of any single amino acid may interfere with the absorption of amino acids we actually can't make on our own.
The amount of tyrosine needed for optimal health is achieved merely by eating protein. Even vegetarian diets provide ample tyrosine. Too much protein, however, which could happen with amino acid supplements, can harm the kidneys and cause dehydration.
[ 15 January 2002: Message edited by: Scrambled_On_Eggs ]