• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

dopamine agonists & adderall?

drunkismyway

Ex-Bluelighter
I did a search and thought it might serve me better to post this as a specific question.
my mom takes Requip for RLS and I take adderall daily(45mgIR). would this be a combo to avoid mixing, and what effect would one expect when mixing adderall with a dopamine agonist? I guess I dont fully understand what this drug is doing chemical wise.
thanks

Well all i can add is i've taken Cabergoline (dopamine agonist, prolactin inhibitor, the stuff said to make yer penis able to come 10 times no prob etc) which is something that lasts like half a week w/ each dose, and taken dexedrine/d-amphetamine and didn't notice any difference..

I think it depends on when you take it. If you wanna take the two together i wouldnt recommend.
But most likely there will be some competition on some of the dopamine receptors and as already mentioned there wont be much difference in effect.

Dopamine agonist are there to fill up dopamine loss in some people and amphetamine release lots of dopamine (that is an agonist). So if you take alot of agonist you maybe notice a difference in theory ('better' effect).
But I wouldnt put money on that theory.

Why would you want to? Dopamine agonists aren't generally that fun... you don't see anyone getting high off their uprima/apomorphine do you?

I've heard there are different binding domains on the DAT receptor. There is a "high" domain and a "low" domain. I'll dig up a reference tomorrow when I get my motivation back. I havent actually read the article but its not like a new discovery and is about 10 years old. It was quite a fancy article though that has been cited in a number of places and involved the "mapping" on a genetic level.

Selegeline is a MAO-B inhibitor that increases the dopamine levels in the brain.
Also cocaine addiction is first & foremost purported to stem from its DAT inhibitor effects.

What actually is a dopamine agonist? Presumably it is to do with receptors located on the post-synaptic receptor?

A dopamine receptor agonist, is a chemical that binds to dopamine receptors... irresepective of whether they are postsynaptic or presynaptic...

When you say DAT receptor, I assume you mean DA receptor... when they say high/low I assume you mean high affinity and low affinity... so like, it's active and inactive form...

BilZ0r said:
A dopamine receptor agonist, is a chemical that binds to dopamine receptors... irresepective of whether they are postsynaptic or presynaptic...

When you say DAT receptor, I assume you mean DA receptor... when they say high/low I assume you mean high affinity and low affinity... so like, it's active and inactive form...

well im not saying I actually "would want to" mix these two things at all. I think what you posted above is all i wanted to know.
although i will have to do more research on dopamine,receptors, and that sort of thing to understand completely.
all i know is that adderall deals alot with dopamine and was wondering if a "agonist" would have a positive or negitive effect when mixed.or whether a dopamine agonist would affect adderalls function at all.
BilZ0r the information your filled with is crazy, thanks:)

A dopamine agonist, and amphetamine... I doubt it would make it more pleasurable, but it would make it more noticable

Requip isn't even that broad spectrum so why do you think it would potentiate the pleasure of amphetamine? Most likely it would just compete with DA for DA receptor binding, which could be important if it activates D2-type receptors differently than DA.