Don't Fear The Reaper - Lyrics question??

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
So part of the song that is repeated many times is the line "Come on, Baby/ Don't fear the reaper"
As an epitaph at the very beginning of The Stand Stephen King quotes the last verse of the song but he gets that line wrong and says "Come on, Mary" instead (he got a few other things wrong but that's most notable).
I looked online and yeah, it's been noted by several sources that he made mistakes with his quote.
But I listened to the song very carefully anyway and while he made a mistake and that line is definitely "baby"...I noticed the very first time that line is sang, it IS "Come on, Mary".
Anybody know why this is or who Mary is?

Have a listen for yourself:

So part of the song that is repeated many times is the line "Come on, Baby/ Don't fear the reaper"
As an epitaph at the very beginning of The Stand Stephen King quotes the last verse of the song but he gets that line wrong and says "Come on, Mary" instead (he got a few other things wrong but that's most notable).
I looked online and yeah, it's been noted by several sources that he made mistakes with his quote.
But I listened to the song very carefully anyway and while he made a mistake and that line is definitely "baby"...I noticed the very first time that line is sang, it IS "Come on, Mary".

Mary, she was up to shenanigans, generally. :sus:

this was years ago, but some people made a big deal and said the song was telling you to kill yourself. i was just a kid but i remember the songwriter said he was thinking about his relationship with his wife and the afterlife. maybe his wife was Mary.

when I was young that movie creeped me out as well as BOC song in the beginning great song band and still like film...
mayhab i know the lyrics mayhab i dont...